News:

Topic: Drawmesh > Mesh Tweak hotkey?  (Read 10092 times)

• No avatar
  • Vertex
June 12, 2019, 09:40:45 pm
- In maya you can click and drag a dot to re-position it with LMB. (minor)
- In maya you can hold "ctrl+shift" then click on any mesh face, edge or placed dot to delete it. It pre-select highlights. (This could be useful) It lets you click and drag over a bunch of faces to select them all as well.

- The dot quad generation is still a little fiddly, but so is Maya's. I'd like to record some video of the times it isn't creating quads properly for you. But it's a bit hard on this current asset.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 12:48:16 am by Boonta »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
June 13, 2019, 11:56:33 am
Try this.
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Jun-16-19.rar

The brush hotkeys can be activated before or during the brush operation. Caps-Lock: style. Space: weight. Caps-Lock+Space: size.

- In maya you can click and drag a dot to re-position it with LMB. (minor)
- In maya you can hold "ctrl+shift" then click on any mesh face, edge or placed dot to delete it. It pre-select highlights. (This could be useful) It lets you click and drag over a bunch of faces to select them all as well.

You can now do the same in NVil.

- The dot quad generation is still a little fiddly, but so is Maya's. I'd like to record some video of the times it isn't creating quads properly for you. But it's a bit hard on this current asset.

Can't wait to see what it is.

• No avatar
  • Vertex
June 13, 2019, 06:17:54 pm
 :o :o :o :o :o :o :o wow ! So fast! Dam.

Both new additions work great! I'll get you a video at some point just not sure on how soon.

Topogun has the ability to hold shift on an edge to split it and insert a vert where clicked. This could be nice on the cut tool?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 07:09:27 pm by Boonta »

• No avatar
  • Vertex
June 13, 2019, 07:47:59 pm
i notice sometimes the "snapping" function (drawing curves that snap to the verts of retop mesh) stops working, and im not sure why. I toggle snapping on/off and turn on/off my vert snap option on the top toolbar. Seems to only effect the vert option. edge/edge midpoint all show the snap manipulator mouse icon. The vert one has stopped showing.

Strange thing, my current mesh im retopoing wont let me snap to verts but if i create a patch of quads in this mesh i can snap to this newly created geometry, the rest of the mesh though remains unsnappable.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 10:42:48 pm by Boonta »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
June 13, 2019, 10:37:50 pm
Can you recreate the bug?

• No avatar
  • Vertex
June 13, 2019, 10:43:57 pm
smooth all didn't fix it . I'm not sure how it happened. I'll look into it.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
June 14, 2019, 11:24:01 am
Try this.
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Jun-17-19.rar

Both new additions work great! I'll get you a video at some point just not sure on how soon.

Topogun has the ability to hold shift on an edge to split it and insert a vert where clicked. This could be nice on the cut tool?

The edge split function added.
Added a new feature. When you depress LMB at the highlighted quad, you can release LMB immediately to create the polygon or you can hold LMB and drag to cycle some possible quads to see if you get the one you wanted then release LMB when found. But I still want to see the video to see those cases you talked about.

i notice sometimes the "snapping" function (drawing curves that snap to the verts of retop mesh) stops working, and im not sure why. I toggle snapping on/off and turn on/off my vert snap option on the top toolbar. Seems to only effect the vert option. edge/edge midpoint all show the snap manipulator mouse icon. The vert one has stopped showing.

Strange thing, my current mesh im retopoing wont let me snap to verts but if i create a patch of quads in this mesh i can snap to this newly created geometry, the rest of the mesh though remains unsnappable.

It looks like the polygon facing causes the problem.
The new update can handle this situation. But you need to fix the problem manually.

To check polygon facing, use these tools.
-View > Object Shading > Back Face In Gray. This option slows performance so don't keep it on all time.
-Edit > Preference > Colors > Object Colors > Back Face Color.

To fix polygon facing, use these tools.
-Geometry > Common Commands n Tools > Flip Polygon Facing.
-Geometry > Common Commands n Tools > Unify Polygon Facings.

• No avatar
  • Vertex
June 14, 2019, 08:03:47 pm
Thanks! Ill try it out if this issue resurfaces.

Is there a way to separate a mesh that is made up of several combined objects into individual objects/meshes? I'm trying a split command on the object but it doesn't seem to do anything. (it works with faces etc. but not on the object level it appears?)

Super minor request: If the split command could keep the same name as the object it is splitting from instead of "Object_Split_1,2,3" Instead it would be something like "<parentmeshname>_Split_1,2,3" ?

Is there a "unhide last" command? There seems to be a "hide" and a "unhide all"
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 08:15:20 pm by Boonta »

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • White-creatures
June 15, 2019, 03:37:13 am
Super minor request: If the split command could keep the same name as the object it is splitting from instead of "Object_Split_1,2,3" Instead it would be something like "<parentmeshname>_Split_1,2,3" ?
that would be nice

Is there a way to separate a mesh that is made up of several combined objects into individual objects/meshes? I'm trying a split command on the object but it doesn't seem to do anything. (it works with faces etc. but not on the object level it appears?)
that would be a nice feature too, currently i am used to just enter subobject mode, select all faces and split.

I think this is the one:
Object Shortcut Tools > Unhide Last Hidden Objects

I think it's not in the menu, but you can find it with the Tool Search window and use Customize Tools to assign hotkey to it.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 03:42:09 am by miica »

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • White-creatures
June 15, 2019, 04:48:21 am
Try this.
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Jun-16-19.rar

The brush hotkeys can be activated before or during the brush operation. Caps-Lock: style. Space: weight. Caps-Lock+Space: size.

Thanks IStonia, I tried it and it seems we still have to do the extra step (to click on the viewport before pressing the modifier key)... and I think the choice for modifier hotkey can change a bit

For me the most used brush options is Size -> Weight -> and finally style (I rarely ever use style though). So having to press two modifier keys to change the size is not good, although we can use the mouse wheel but as wacom user I would like to stay away from the mouse as long as I can. I hope the hotkey can be switch to:

Space: Size
Caps-Lock: Weight
Caps-Lock+Space: Style

Although.. I still like the previous one a lot more:

Previous:
Space: Size and Weight (drag horizontally to change weight and drag vertically to change size)

I hope you can make it work like how it was previously because now I think it's still a bit difficult to perform.

I am also trying out the new dot quad generation, I need to test it a bit more on production but so far so good :)

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
June 15, 2019, 05:01:09 am
Thanks IStonia, I tried it and it seems we still have to do the extra step (to click on the viewport before pressing the modifier key)...

Are you sure? Did you use it inside Draw Mesh tool? If yes, you should be able to press down hokey before click viewport. If you use brush tools outside of Draw Mesh tool it won't work due to some issues can't be solved.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
June 15, 2019, 05:06:57 am
I think this is the one:
Object Shortcut Tools > Unhide Last Hidden Objects

I think it's not in the menu, but you can find it with the Tool Search window and use Customize Tools to assign hotkey to it.

You can also use the "Isolation Selection" tools. Turn on this option, View > Tool Bars > Misc Command Bars, and you will see the corresponding bar buttons.

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • White-creatures
June 15, 2019, 05:25:34 am
Thanks IStonia, I tried it and it seems we still have to do the extra step (to click on the viewport before pressing the modifier key)...

Are you sure? Did you use it inside Draw Mesh tool? If yes, you should be able to press down hokey before click viewport. If you use brush tools outside of Draw Mesh tool it won't work due to some issues can't be solved.

Yes, I tried again to be sure (using 2019-Jun-17, and default config), I am inside Draw Mesh tool, I hold [X], press [Space], and then I am switch out of the temporary Mesh_Brush.

Sorry I think my previous post is misleading when I said Press [X], because what I really meant is Hold [X] (really sorry for the confusion)

I see it works alright when I enter Draw Mesh tool and switch to Mesh_Brush mode, but I really like it to work in the "hold/temporary" mode too.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 08:10:30 am by miica »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
June 15, 2019, 08:56:02 am
Try this.
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Jun-18-19.rar

For brush tools.
Space+V-Drag: Size
Space+H-Drag: Weight
Caps-Lock+H-Drag: Style.

All fixed.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
June 15, 2019, 12:32:53 pm