News:

Topic: Drawmesh > Mesh Tweak hotkey?  (Read 10219 times)

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
June 10, 2019, 01:46:27 pm
Try this. The quad picking from dot objects should be a lot better.
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Jun-11-19.rar

• No avatar
  • Vertex
June 10, 2019, 06:28:18 pm
Hey trying out you're latest version, I'm getting a bunch of hard crashes. They crash *seemed* to happen just after i closed a quad using the dots. There was a edge highlighted and i may have also started to rotate the canvas. Nothing really out of the ordinary. But it straight crashes to the desktop.

The quad picking does seem to be much better though which is awesome, need to test it a bit more though.

hmm seems like the weld crash isn't fixed either, just got a crash on merging verts.

Recent Crash: I welded two verts with "tweak_mesh", then an edge was highlighted with preselection highlighting, I then held shift to close a hole with the quad dot tool and the program hung/crashed. This was all done in a matter of seconds. This one is tricky its hard to tell if it was the weld that caused the crash or attempting to close a hole with the quad tool. The fact an edge was highlighted after the weld feels like the weld worked?? Hope this rambling helps.

Ok I reloaded and a weld via "mesh_tweak" holding CTRL + auto weld enabled  caused a crash with in seconds of starting to work.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 07:20:04 pm by Boonta »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
June 10, 2019, 07:35:01 pm
Do you use mouse or tablet pen?

• No avatar
  • Vertex
June 10, 2019, 07:40:14 pm
Im using a Wacom Cintiq

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
June 10, 2019, 08:02:52 pm
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 12:35:14 am by IStonia »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
June 11, 2019, 12:34:57 am
Try this.
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Jun-13-19.rar

If you see any message box popup please let me know the messages. Since it works fine always on me it is hard for me to pin point the bug on my side.

• No avatar
  • Vertex
June 11, 2019, 12:42:39 am
I've been using your earlier fix and it seems to be going well so far! No crashes in the past few hours which is promising. Ill try the latest update tomorrow. Thanks! I understand how this must be tricky to solve.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 12:53:14 am by Boonta »

• No avatar
  • Vertex
June 11, 2019, 06:45:47 pm
I got the following error using your latest build, i was welding at the time I believe.

https://imgur.com/a/8qGz9Iv

nVil didn't crash though. I was able to continue working.

In same session the error popped up a few more times. Once after some Undos, and another time after holding shift to make some quads.

Just wanna say while I'm still getting the error above several times, the program hasn't had any hard crashes today so far which is great. *Fingers Crossed!*
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 11:41:56 pm by Boonta »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
June 12, 2019, 06:48:00 am
Thanks for the testing! Much appreciate it.

The bug fixed.
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Jun-14-19.rar

How's the dot system working comparing to Maya/Topogun?

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • White-creatures
June 12, 2019, 08:54:04 am
Amazing to have this! I trying this but how to change the weight for mesh_brush? assuming I was in Draw mode, and press hold X to switch to Mesh_Brush, I can scroll middle wheel to change radius, but I couldn't figure out how to change the weight.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
June 12, 2019, 09:06:58 am
When the brush tool is activated(the mouse button is being depressed), you should see the tool tips in the HUD display left hand side of the viewport. If you can't see it, turn on this option, View > Display > Heads Up Display > Show Activated Tool Cue Info. Or you can search the brush tool in "Tool Search Window" and read its tool tips.

You can change both weight and brush style.

If you still don't know how to do it, just let me know.

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • White-creatures
June 12, 2019, 11:36:33 am
Thanks IStonia, I got it working now but I need to activate the tool and then click on the viewport to show the tool tip.

When the brush tool is activated(the mouse button is being depressed), I first saw tooltip for Mesh_Brush:

LMB <> Brush_Relax
MMB <> Brush_Extend
RMB <> Brush_Move

while I hold on to the hotkey and left click on the viewport only see the other tool-tip

Space+Horizontal-Drag <> Weight
Caps-Lock+Horizontal-Drag <> Brush Style
(Space Caps-Lock)+Vertical-Drag <> Brush size
Alt <> Opposite effect
Ctrl <> Exclude border vertices

is it ok to make it so that we don't have to click first to show the other tool-tip?

and my suggestion is show both tooltips when the hotkey is pressed

LMB <> Brush_Relax
MMB <> Brush_Extend
RMB <> Brush_Move

Alt <> Opposite effect

and while holding down to the hotkey, press any of the modifiers key will activate the adjust operations and when we click drag, we adjust the weight, brush style and size and so on, when we let go of modifier keys, return to brush_relax.

maybe is confusing, hope this explain better my thoughts:

To change brush weight

Currently
Press [X] -> Click on view (and hold) -> Press and hold [Space] -> L click drag

Suggestion
Press [X] -> Press and hold [Space] -> L click drag

another example.. to Exclude border vertices

Currently
Press [X] -> Click on view (and hold) -> Press and hold [Ctrl] -> L click drag

Suggestion
Press [X] -> Press and hold  [Ctrl] -> L click drag

currently it will be quite hard to do this quickly because there are 3 steps that we need to perform in the right order to trigger the action. it also a bit tricky because if we click and accidentally drag, it immediately enters brush relax. also if we forgot to do the second step (click on view and hold), pressing any modifiers will exits Mesh_Brush.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
June 12, 2019, 12:22:03 pm
Try this.
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Jun-15-19.rar
Scroll WMB will change brush size before tool activated but will change weight instead after tool activated.

--------------

LMB <> Brush_Relax
MMB <> Brush_Extend
RMB <> Brush_Move

Alt <> Opposite effect

The LMB/MMB/RMB/X1MB/X2MB tools may have different tool tips. Displaying all tool tips will make the viewport messy also cause confusing.

To change brush weight

Currently
Press [X] -> Click on view (and hold) -> Press and hold [Space] -> L click drag

Suggestion
Press [X] -> Press and hold [Space] -> L click drag

What if you just want to change one tool's weight and leave the other tool's weight alone since no tool is activated and you can't tell which tool's weight you want to change.
Also without any mouse buttong being depressed. Press Space will activate viewport layout switching as Space key if assign for that in default setting.

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • White-creatures
June 12, 2019, 02:37:44 pm
Thanks IStonia! that works for me, although I think it needs some indicator to show what is the weight when adjusting it, because right now I can't tell what's the value when I scroll WMB.

The LMB/MMB/RMB/X1MB/X2MB tools may have different tool tips. Displaying all tool tips will make the viewport messy also cause confusing.
I just realized that different tool have different weights.. so that's reasonable...

What if you just want to change one tool's weight and leave the other tool's weight alone since no tool is activated and you can't tell which tool's weight you want to change.

I think in that case.. maybe we can try it this way..

To change brush weight
Press [X] -> Press and hold [Space] -> L click drag (to change Brush_Relax weight)
Press [X] -> Press and hold [Space] -> M click drag (to change Brush_Extend weight)
Press [X] -> Press and hold [Space] -> R click drag (to change Brush_Move weight) (btw, i noticed changing Brush_Move weight has no effect i guess it's intended that way?)

To change brush style
Press [X] -> Press and hold [CapsLock] -> L click drag (to change Brush_Relax style)
Press [X] -> Press and hold [CapsLock] -> M click drag (to change Brush_Extend style)
Press [X] -> Press and hold [CapsLock] -> R click drag (to change Brush_Move style)

for brush size i noticed that the size modifier (Space + CapsLock) doesn't work (it changes the brush style instead?), i personally don't mind all 3 brush sharing the same size, but if any other user prefer to have the option to have separate brush size, then i prefer this..

Press [X] -> Press and hold [Alt] -> L click drag (to change brush size for Brush_Relax)
Press [X] -> Press and hold [Alt] -> M click drag (to change brush size for Brush_Extend)
Press [X] -> Press and hold [Alt] -> R click drag (to change brush size for Brush_Move)

(btw.. by "Press [X]" what i really mean is "Press and Hold [X]")

It would also be nice when any of the modifier keys are release, the tool switch back to brush,

Currently
Press [X] -> Click on view (and hold) -> Press and hold [Space] -> L click drag -> Release [Space] (can't do anything anymore)

Suggestion
Press [X] -> Press and hold [Space] -> L click drag (to change Brush_Relax weight) -> Release [Space] (back to Brush_Relax and L click drag to continue smoothing, Press and hold [Space] again if want to change the weight again)

I do like the current special feature of Brush_Move..

Press [X] -> R click drag -> Scroll WMB (to change effect radius for Brush_Move)

and also think it's alright to keep the current way:

Press [X] -> L click drag -> Scroll WMB (to change brush weight)

Also without any mouse buttong being depressed. Press Space will activate viewport layout switching as Space key if assign for that in default setting.
if users customize Space to other tool then pressing Space will probably do something else... and i guess there's not much benefit to activate viewport layout switching during Mesh_Brush?

Edit:
An important note!
I think scrolling WMB is not so good for wacom user? because they have to move one of their hand from keyboard or from the stylus pen to reach the mouse to adjust the brush size
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 03:00:12 pm by miica »

• No avatar
  • Vertex
June 12, 2019, 06:06:33 pm
I'm new to nVil and still figuring out a lot of how it works so its cool to learn how to change the brush size and intensity. It was on my list of things to look up! The current hotkeys seem good to me.

Let me do a bit of a deep dive comparison into maya/topogun over the next few days. I really am liking how the dots are performing in nVil. I want to go back and compare to see if there are any suggestions i can recommend.