News:

Topic: New Tool Test "Draw Mesh"  (Read 35919 times)

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
July 06, 2017, 09:32:12 am
Can any one test this new streamline tool?

Draw Mesh

Draw grid lines to create polygons of 4 or 3 edges. Use LMB to draw lines. To straighten line, tap Space key. To close line, tap Caps-Lock key. To draw horizontal/vertical lines, press down Shift key. To remove a line, right click at it. The line will be drawn on reference object or on viewport plane depending on retopo mode enabled or not. The mesh will be created on tool exit. The grid lines should be in a shape close to flat, not too much 3D, or the result may not be as expected.

http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Jul-06-17.rar

• No avatar
  • Polygon
July 06, 2017, 11:04:29 am
Hi Istonia,

When using for retopo, if option "Close line" is used, the line does not draw on reference object, it simply creates straight line between endpoints. Is that correct function?

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
July 06, 2017, 12:50:03 pm
Hi Istonia,

When using for retopo, if option "Close line" is used, the line does not draw on reference object, it simply creates straight line between endpoints. Is that correct function?

Try this
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Jul-07-17.rar

• No avatar
  • Spline
July 06, 2017, 01:08:53 pm
Hi Istonia.

I'm testing your latest build.

Could you tell me how to use this new tool ? I tried to run the command but nothing happens when drag the mouse with LMB pressed.

NVIL always performs a selection.

What I have to do to test this new tool ?

Thanks.

Marco (mdkm)

• No avatar
  • Polygon
July 06, 2017, 01:35:17 pm
Hi IStonia,

Appears to be working as described.
Have checked:
Projection to workgrid
Projection to viewport
Projection to workplane
Projection to reference mesh(retopo)

There can be some issues while working to reference mesh, but it depends on angle of mesh and if drawn lines do not always create quad/tri (so a limitation?)

Would it be possible to have function similar to "Retopo >> X" where cross section of reference mesh can be created? or would that be too much of a pain/problem to impliment?

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
July 06, 2017, 06:33:14 pm
Would it be possible to have function similar to "Retopo >> X" where cross section of reference mesh can be created? or would that be too much of a pain/problem to impliment?

Do you mean 45 degrees line?

• No avatar
  • Polygon
July 06, 2017, 07:36:59 pm
Do you mean 45 degrees line?

No.

See:- Help >> Contents >> Modeling >> Edge Selection >> Retopo >> "By Connecting Splines"

• No avatar
  • Edge
July 07, 2017, 02:55:44 pm
Works great! Thanks, its only tool that was missing from already superb retopology toolset that Nvil has. I have small request though. Would it be possible to add ability of drawing the line from already existing vertices, as the continuation of the edges. so when the mesh is created, its already connected to the adjecant geometry. Hope it makes sense.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
July 08, 2017, 07:22:17 am
Try this
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Jul-08-17.rar

New tool tips
Draw grid lines to create polygons. The mesh will be created on tool exit. The line will be drawn on reference object or on viewport plane depending on retopo mode enabled or not. The grid lines should be in a shape close to flat, not too much 3D, or the result may not be as expected. Use LMB to draw lines. To straighten line, tap Space key. To close line, tap Caps-Lock key. To draw horizontal/vertical lines, press down Shift key. To draw diagonal lines, press down Ctrl key. To remove a line, right click at it. To create lines between two specified lines, MMB-click or LMB-click+Shift/Ctrl to select the first line, then LMB-Click the second line and drag to adjust the number of lines to be created. To import lines from scene splines, Caps-Lock+RMB.

Works great! Thanks, its only tool that was missing from already superb retopology toolset that Nvil has. I have small request though. Would it be possible to add ability of drawing the line from already existing vertices, as the continuation of the edges. so when the mesh is created, its already connected to the adjecant geometry. Hope it makes sense.

It is done.

• No avatar
  • Edge
July 08, 2017, 12:18:15 pm
I've done some testing on the new features, and to be honest I love where it's going. However I encountered some issues during the tests.

1.When connecting closed circles it gives unpredictable results.

It would be better when connecting closed shapes to create only one line, exactly between first and second click, and then add other ones according to its positions.

2.When connecting two lines and adding devisions, it works great, but when I try to connect perpendicular lines as well, to create a polygon grid, it becomes a bit messy.

My solution to that would be to have the ability to convert the connected shape to patch first, the add spans/divisions along both U and V by dragging up-down, and left-right. And then after that convert it back to lines, or make a geo from it. To illustrate that:

I don't think its a perfect solution though, it's hard to tell how it should behave when having more then one possible patches.
It would be also nice for the in between lines to have some kind of interpolation relatively to the first and the last line, opposite to being straight, to prevent uwnanted intersections.

3.In both cases it almost always, if not always, fails to create one of the polygons, leaving an empty space (on the two of above screenshots).

All in all, all those issues are not game breakers for me, as I can quickle fix everything post mesh creation, but this make the tool less efficient I guess.

Hope I didn't make it confusing, and thanks again for an awesome update:)

• No avatar
  • Polygon
July 09, 2017, 09:07:04 pm
Hey guys.
This StreamLine tool looks really good, but I have some trouble accessing it. I have assigned a hotkey to it and from what I understand the tool requires retopo mode to be enabled. When I hold the hotkey and try to draw over my reference mesh, NVil enters a rectangular selection mode. In fact, I don't even see the tool's name appearing in the top section of the viewport when I press the hotkey.

Any tips on how to use the tool?
-----

Okay, never mind. I was in object mode instead of component. It works. :)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 09:08:55 pm by rubberDuck »

• No avatar
  • Spline
July 09, 2017, 11:07:39 pm
Hi everyone.

I'm sorry but...I'm the only one who is having trouble to understand how this new tool works ?

Please, Istonia or anyone else, can  you tell me how to use this new tool ?
What is its workflow ?

Thanks.

Marco (mdkm)

• Polygon
July 10, 2017, 07:26:19 am

Draw Mesh

The line will be drawn on reference object or on viewport plane depending on retopo mode enabled or not. The mesh will be created on tool exit. The grid lines should be in a shape close to flat, not too much 3D, or the result may not be as expected.

Hi Istonia, I really like where you are heading with this tool

Like others I was confused how the tool works when drawing on the viewport plane. I have to open the retopo dialog box and then close it again for the tool to work. I figured it out but it is confusing.

It would also be great if the tool allowed you to join onto existing mesh, if that is possible.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
July 10, 2017, 08:07:55 am
Try this
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Jul-10-17.rar

New tool tips
  * A new streamline tool added, Draw Mesh. Draw grid lines to create polygons. The mesh will be created on tool exit. The line will be drawn on reference object or on viewport plane depending on retopo mode enabled or not. The grid lines should be in a shape close to flat, not too much 3D, or the result may not be as expected. WAYS: 1** Use LMB to draw lines. To straighten line, tap Space key. To close line, tap Caps-Lock key. To draw horizontal/vertical lines, press down Shift key. To draw diagonal lines, press down Ctrl key. 2** To remove a line, right click at it. 3** To create lines between two specified lines, MMB-click or LMB-click+Shift/Ctrl to select the first line, then LMB-Click the second line and drag, or Shift/Ctrl+drag, to adjust the segments. If the order incorrect, tap Space key to fix. 4** To create lines inside a rectangle formed by 4 lines, Caps-Lock+LMB and drag, or Shift/Ctrl+drag, to adjust the segments. 5** To import lines from scene splines, Caps-Lock+RMB and drag over 400 pixels.

Draw Mesh

The line will be drawn on reference object or on viewport plane depending on retopo mode enabled or not. The mesh will be created on tool exit. The grid lines should be in a shape close to flat, not too much 3D, or the result may not be as expected.

Hi Istonia, I really like where you are heading with this tool

Like others I was confused how the tool works when drawing on the viewport plane. I have to open the retopo dialog box and then close it again for the tool to work. I figured it out but it is confusing.

It would also be great if the tool allowed you to join onto existing mesh, if that is possible.

You can create a streamline tool and check its option to allow the streamline tool to be opened while a visual tool like the Retopo tool is opened.
I can't see a way to join it to existing mesh.

Hi everyone.

I'm sorry but...I'm the only one who is having trouble to understand how this new tool works ?

Please, Istonia or anyone else, can  you tell me how to use this new tool ?
What is its workflow ?

Thanks.

Marco (mdkm)

Do you have problem to activate the tool?

• Polygon
July 10, 2017, 08:17:37 am

You can create a streamline tool and check its option to allow the streamline tool to be opened while a visual tool like the Retopo tool is opened.

This is what is confusing everyone, that you have to open the retopo tool for Draw Mesh to work on the view plane.

Could the tool be programmed so it works without having to open retopo tool ?