News:

Topic: New Tool Test "Draw Mesh"  (Read 35987 times)

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
July 10, 2017, 08:29:31 am

You can create a streamline tool and check its option to allow the streamline tool to be opened while a visual tool like the Retopo tool is opened.

This is what is confusing everyone, that you have to open the retopo tool for Draw Mesh to work on the view plane.

Could the tool be programmed so it works without having to open retopo tool ?

It is only a basic streamline tool. You don't have to open the Retopo tool to access it.
As what I stated before, you can include this tool into a streamline tool. If you want it to be able to be opened while the Retopo tool is open, you can set the related options. Otherwise just use it in the normal way as other streamline tools.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
July 10, 2017, 08:53:00 am
Like others I was confused how the tool works when drawing on the viewport plane. I have to open the retopo dialog box and then close it again for the tool to work. I figured it out but it is confusing.

Looks like I may not understand what you meant. What is this "dialog box" you talk about? Is it the Retopo visual tool or the Retopo Reference window? And why you have to open it for the tool to work?

• Polygon
July 10, 2017, 08:55:36 am
This is relevant to drawing on the workplane or viewplane. I have assigned the D key to Draw Mesh

What is this "dialog box" you talk about? Is it the Retopo visual tool or the Retopo Reference window?

Retopo visual tool.

If I do not open the retopo visual tool and close it again Draw mesh will only create selections and not draw lines. This only happens when I first open Nvil.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 09:01:20 am by kevjon »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
July 10, 2017, 09:08:14 am
That is strange. When I implement and test this tool, I never open the Retopo tool and I never have this problem. But if retopo mode is enabled, you can not draw lines in viewport plane, you can only draw lines on reference object.

• Polygon
July 10, 2017, 09:20:16 am
Reading back through the thread, Marco is having the same issue as myself.
Perhaps others can confirm.

It only happens when you first start Nvil. After that it is Ok.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
July 10, 2017, 09:31:59 am
Does it still happen when you close and open NVill again.
It is a subobject tool so it won't work in object mode.

• No avatar
  • Spline
July 10, 2017, 09:32:54 am

Hi Istonia.

@You : "Do you have problem to activate the tool?"

Yes. I'm sorry but I don't understand the way this tool works.

Could you please write the steps I need to follow to use this tool from scratch after first launching of Nvil and without any object present in scene ?

Maybe you could create a very little video tutorial (with Monosnap it's very easy).

Thanks.

Marco (mkdm)

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
July 10, 2017, 10:03:53 am
Hi Kevin, try this
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Jul-11-17.rar

The tool now works in all modes. You have to reassign you streamline tool.
I think that's the problem. When you first open the program, it is object mode. Then when you open the retopo tool, it changes to subobject mode.

Marco, all you need to do is drawing some lines which will cross each other and the program will use this intersecting points to create polygons.
If you still have problem, you can create a video to explain it. I am no good at making video.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 10:06:58 am by IStonia »

• Polygon
July 10, 2017, 10:04:12 am

Yes

I have been trying to use the tool on the view plane in a new scene with no objects. I was in object mode.

If I start Nvil again (blank scene) and switch to subobject mode it works. Thanks for the tip !

• Polygon
July 10, 2017, 10:07:56 am
Hi Kevin, try this
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Jul-11-17.rar

Beautiful thanks, working nicely in object mode now !

I think this simple change will avoid a lot of the confusion that people are experiencing on how the tool works. They must have all been in object mode also.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 10:15:46 am by kevjon »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
July 10, 2017, 10:10:09 am
Can you redownload again?

• Polygon
July 10, 2017, 10:14:20 am
Thanks Istonia, I got confused with all the versions, I've modified my post above.

• No avatar
  • Spline
July 10, 2017, 01:24:32 pm
Hi Istonia.

Thanks for the info.
I downloaded latest version and in object mode all works fine.

This new tool now works only in object mode and no retopo enabled ?
What if I have retopo mode enabled ?

In that case how "draw lines" works ?

Thanks.

Marco (mkdm)

• No avatar
  • Polygon
July 10, 2017, 04:16:38 pm
It is only a basic streamline tool.
It is not. You added the function as an hard_coded "streamline engine tool".

As what I stated before, you can include this tool into a streamline tool.
You cannot directly add a "Streamlne engine tool" into a "Steamline engine tool", you have made it that way.

If you want it to be able to be opened while the Retopo tool is open, you can set the related options.
I have never been able to find a way to use a "streamline engine tool" while a "visual tool" is enable. The options do not work, or at least have never worked for me.
With current "Streamline engine tool" options:-
""can be activated when visual tool is on":   While "Retopo" tool enabled, Steamline tool will not function
"Can be activated only when Retopo tool is on": Streamline tool only works while retopo mode is off.

Please test the functions.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
July 11, 2017, 11:04:23 am
It is only a basic streamline tool.
It is not. You added the function as an hard_coded "streamline engine tool".

As what I stated before, you can include this tool into a streamline tool.
You cannot directly add a "Streamlne engine tool" into a "Steamline engine tool", you have made it that way.

If you want it to be able to be opened while the Retopo tool is open, you can set the related options.
I have never been able to find a way to use a "streamline engine tool" while a "visual tool" is enable. The options do not work, or at least have never worked for me.
With current "Streamline engine tool" options:-
""can be activated when visual tool is on":   While "Retopo" tool enabled, Steamline tool will not function
"Can be activated only when Retopo tool is on": Streamline tool only works while retopo mode is off.

Please test the functions.

You are right, it is a hard coded streamline tool.
Try this and see if the options work properly or not.
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Jul-12-17.rar

Hi Istonia.

Thanks for the info.
I downloaded latest version and in object mode all works fine.

This new tool now works only in object mode and no retopo enabled ?
What if I have retopo mode enabled ?

In that case how "draw lines" works ?

Thanks.

Marco (mkdm)

The tool works in all modes. If retopo mode is enabled, you can only draw lines on the surface of retopo reference objects. Otherwise you can only draw lines inside viewport plane.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 11:30:58 am by IStonia »