News:

Topic: New Tool Test "Draw Mesh"  (Read 35939 times)

• No avatar
  • Polygon
December 08, 2017, 10:35:13 pm
Can you show the result screen shot after scaling frozen? There might be a bug here. What was the value of the scale of the reference object?
The result after freezing the scale was the same like of the reimported rescaled model. Meaning no offset and bumps, thankfully. :)

The scale of the object after I scaled it down and before I froze its scale was something very small, like 0.003 or 0.0003. The object was huge when I first imported it.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
December 08, 2017, 10:45:33 pm
Looks like it is computer computation error causes it.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
December 09, 2017, 01:05:04 am
Looks like it is computer computation error causes it.
IStonia, so now that we know that this offset issue doesn't have anything to do with:
When finishing spline, the spline will be fully projected onto reference object is Ctrl key is depressed. This is the problem you came across. But maybe sometimes it can be useful, so I added this option. The Draw tooltip is updated.
maybe it's best to revert back to how this tool previously worked? Meaning - fully project the spline without having to press CTRL. I have observed that sometimes when the spline intersects with the reference geometry (due to having too few control points), some vertices of the generated retopo mesh might end up being snapped to some distant reference geometry parts. With spline being fully projected, it is usually not the case, hence I ended up using full projection most of the time.
What do you think?

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
December 09, 2017, 01:32:13 am

• No avatar
  • Polygon
December 09, 2017, 09:29:37 pm
Try this
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Dec-09-17.rar

If Ctrl down, no projection.
Thanks!

Is it possible to resume a curve with smooth splines? All I can do in resume mode is to either draw strokes or create a sequence of straight lines.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
December 09, 2017, 09:42:19 pm
IStonia,
There are two issues that I caught on the video below.
The first is a curve snapping to surface closest to the camera (arm), which I was able to find a workaround for by keeping CTRL pressed to disable curve full projection. That's okay.
However I cannot find a workaround for the second issue where NVil assumes that the hand is also a reference surface that I want to include in a patch that I'm generating. Probably rotating the camera would help here, but sometimes it is not a viable option.
What workflow do you suggest to avoid this particular issue?

Video: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1wKBQ7OXcVsXI4Nav4DU9j7Sly7_0ZXV9

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
December 09, 2017, 10:41:11 pm
IStonia,
There are two issues that I caught on the video below.
The first is a curve snapping to surface closest to the camera (arm), which I was able to find a workaround for by keeping CTRL pressed to disable curve full projection. That's okay.
However I cannot find a workaround for the second issue where NVil assumes that the hand is also a reference surface that I want to include in a patch that I'm generating. Probably rotating the camera would help here, but sometimes it is not a viable option.
What workflow do you suggest to avoid this particular issue?

Video: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1wKBQ7OXcVsXI4Nav4DU9j7Sly7_0ZXV9

I don't have better solution than Ctrl for the first case.

For the second case, tap Enter before releasing mouse button.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
December 09, 2017, 10:43:10 pm
Tapping 'Enter' works just great! Somehow I forgot about it.
Thanks IStonia. :)

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
December 10, 2017, 10:17:19 am
Is it possible to resume a curve with smooth splines? All I can do in resume mode is to either draw strokes or create a sequence of straight lines.

Try this
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Dec-10-17.rar

If the line to be resumed is created from a spline, the line will be turned back into spline instead of extending. To not to turn back into spline, press down additional key.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
December 13, 2017, 12:05:01 pm
Try this
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Dec-13-17.rar

* In spline mode, control points can be tweaked by LMB. RMB to delete/insert control point.
* You can drag from MatCap window to object in scene.

• No avatar
  • Vertex
December 15, 2017, 01:52:24 pm
How does the "Tweak" mode works in the "Draw Mesh" window?.., if i select it and hold "ctrl", witch is the key that i have to tweak the mesh in all modes, nothing happens, just when i hit the "shift" key i can select some vertices and move them with the move manipulator.

In my config stream line engine tools i have the tweak mode set with three options; "NMB action enable", "User event action enable", "Allow event action on highlighted".

Another question is if i can use the "Draw Mesh" curves to cut an existing polymesh?.., like if i was using the cut tool but instead using curves.

Thanks for this great tool. ;)

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
December 15, 2017, 10:36:23 pm
How does the "Tweak" mode works in the "Draw Mesh" window?.., if i select it and hold "ctrl", witch is the key that i have to tweak the mesh in all modes, nothing happens, just when i hit the "shift" key i can select some vertices and move them with the move manipulator.

In my config stream line engine tools i have the tweak mode set with three options; "NMB action enable", "User event action enable", "Allow event action on highlighted".

While the "Draw Mesh" is active, you can't use hotkey to activate other streamline tools.
You can set the basic streamline tools for the "Draw Mesh" tool then use them by setting the mode to "Tweak".

Another question is if i can use the "Draw Mesh" curves to cut an existing polymesh?.., like if i was using the cut tool but instead using curves.

It is not possible.

• No avatar
  • Vertex
December 16, 2017, 12:59:43 am
Thanks for the info IStonia.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
December 19, 2017, 10:37:56 pm

Just added a new feature.

Cut existing mesh with a drawn line. To do it, turn on "Cut" mode in Draw Mesh tool UI then LMB click the line.

http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Dec-20-17.rar

• No avatar
  • Vertex
December 20, 2017, 02:34:06 am

Just added a new feature.

Cut existing mesh with a drawn line. To do it, turn on "Cut" mode in Draw Mesh tool UI then LMB click the line.

http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Dec-20-17.rar

thanks