News:

Topic: New Tool Test "Draw Mesh"  (Read 35928 times)

• No avatar
  • Edge
July 11, 2017, 12:31:11 pm
Works like a charm.

Is there a way to continue the stroke after its drawn?

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
July 11, 2017, 12:38:51 pm
I don't know what you mean. Can you explain?

• No avatar
  • Polygon
July 11, 2017, 01:30:53 pm
After spending some time with Draw Mesh tool I can say its a lovely addition to NVil's toolset.

I've noticed two problems though:
  • If Allow tapped to stay alive is enabled (required for being able to rotate the viewport with the tool activated) then if space key is pressed when Draw Mesh tool is enabled, it will invoke whatever is bound to that key (Mini/Maximize Viewport in my case).
  • It looks like it is not currently possible to create vertices that have valence greater than four. To solve it, you could introduce a distance threshold setting that would allow Draw Mesh to fuse (weld) all vertices that are within a given customizable radius. 3D Coat has the same problem with its Strokes retopo tool and a cleanup is required each time after E-pole is drawn.

• No avatar
  • Edge
July 11, 2017, 02:02:28 pm
I mean after I did a stroke ,can I continue the line by adding another, starting from the end of previous one. So the single line is composed of two continous strokes. That could be useful when drawing long continous lines when its imposiible to do so, due to reference mesh cuvature. Thanks to that I could just rotate the model and continue from where I ended.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
July 11, 2017, 02:17:18 pm
Try this and see if the options work properly or not.

Now appears to be working, thanks.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
July 11, 2017, 02:57:39 pm
I mean after I did a stroke ,can I continue the line by adding another, starting from the end of previous one. So the single line is composed of two continous strokes. That could be useful when drawing long continous lines when its imposiible to do so, due to reference mesh cuvature. Thanks to that I could just rotate the model and continue from where I ended.

Try this
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Jul-13-17.rar

To resume the drawing of a drawn line, Caps-Lock+RMB-Click the line at any of its two ends. Then continue its drawing.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
July 11, 2017, 04:51:47 pm
To resume the drawing of a drawn line, Caps-Lock+RMB-Click the line at any of its two ends. Then continue its drawing.

Resumimg(extening) a line, the line does not [while in "Retopo" mode] project to "Retopo reference object".
The line being extended cannot be closed (tap caps_lock key).

• No avatar
  • Polygon
July 11, 2017, 04:56:36 pm
..........you could introduce a distance threshold setting that would allow Draw Mesh to fuse (weld) all vertices that are within a given customizable radius.

I suggest you create a composite tool to either P_Weld(vertex) and/or collapse short edges on the mesh, that is called from the "Draw mesh" streamline_tool on exit.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
July 12, 2017, 08:31:16 am
Try this
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Jul-14-17.rar

New tooltips
Draw grid lines to create polygons. The mesh will be created on tool exit. The line will be drawn on reference object or on viewport plane depending on retopo mode enabled or not. The grid lines should be in a shape close to flat, not too much 3D, or the result may not be as expected. WAYS: 1** Use LMB to draw lines. To straighten line, tap Space key. To close line, tap Caps-Lock key. To draw horizontal/vertical lines, press down Shift key. To draw diagonal lines, press down Ctrl key. To allow the line to be drawn through the end of another line, enable spline snapping. 2** To resume the drawing of a drawn line, Caps-Lock+RMB-Click the line at any of its two ends. Then continue its drawing. 3** To remove a line, right click at it. 4** To create lines between two specified lines, MMB-click or LMB-click+Shift/Ctrl to select the first line, then LMB-Click the second line and drag, or Shift/Ctrl+drag, to adjust the segments. If the order incorrect, tap Space key to fix. 5** To create lines inside a rectangle enclosed by 4 lines, Caps-Lock+LMB and drag, or Shift/Ctrl+drag, to adjust the segments. 6** To import lines from scene splines, Caps-Lock+RMB and drag over 400 pixels.

Resumimg(extening) a line, the line does not [while in "Retopo" mode] project to "Retopo reference object".
The line being extended cannot be closed (tap caps_lock key).

Fixed.

After spending some time with Draw Mesh tool I can say its a lovely addition to NVil's toolset.

I've noticed two problems though:
  • If Allow tapped to stay alive is enabled (required for being able to rotate the viewport with the tool activated) then if space key is pressed when Draw Mesh tool is enabled, it will invoke whatever is bound to that key (Mini/Maximize Viewport in my case).
  • It looks like it is not currently possible to create vertices that have valence greater than four. To solve it, you could introduce a distance threshold setting that would allow Draw Mesh to fuse (weld) all vertices that are within a given customizable radius. 3D Coat has the same problem with its Strokes retopo tool and a cleanup is required each time after E-pole is drawn.

* In this tool, when the Space key is required there is a mouse button must be pressed. This can avoid the invoking of the command assigned to Space key.
* You can use snapping. For example, draw a line starting from the pole point. Enable spline snapping. Then draw the other lines and make sure they run through the pole point by snapping through the first spline's starting point.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
July 12, 2017, 11:58:57 am
* You can use snapping. For example, draw a line starting from the pole point. Enable spline snapping. Then draw the other lines and make sure they run through the pole point by snapping through the first spline's starting point.
I can't make it to work. The mesh does not appear at all when I snap splines to a pole.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 12:17:11 pm by rubberDuck »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
July 12, 2017, 12:03:45 pm
Can you show how you did it in a video?

• No avatar
  • Polygon
July 12, 2017, 12:17:33 pm
I attached an animated gif to my last post.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
July 13, 2017, 07:43:37 am
Try this
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Jul-14-17.rar

One more new function. When extending a line, you can right click another line to join them together.

I can't make it to work. The mesh does not appear at all when I snap splines to a pole.

Fixed.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 07:48:41 am by IStonia »

• No avatar
  • Polygon

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon