News:

Topic: In a hard spot with mirror.  (Read 18957 times)

• Edge
September 26, 2012, 01:24:26 am
Hi Steve,

Congratulations to you and your daughter/family.

Thank you!

There are various ways of doing that. I will post a quick example.

Thank you again!

Yes, they are single sided.

Wow, you are super helpful. Thank you very much!  ;D

• No avatar
  • Polygon
September 26, 2012, 12:39:07 pm
Hi 3dwizzard,

OK< here is a quick example of how I create an edge seam/fold. (of course there are other ways to do this).

I will just use an open cylinder for this example.

Here is the cylinder, I will be placing a fold on the selected polygons (you could think of it as placing a seam/fold on the cuff end of a shirt or similar.)

First, I want to add an extra edge loop, here I have selected the edge loop and used "Chamfer-> Chop corner off" as it produces 2 edge loops from the selection.

Select the top face loop and duplicate it. I have used the option "Remain in same mesh"

Press "OK" and the new polygons will be selected. I now want to move those polygons in, slightly away from the outside polygons. Pres(hold down) "H"+LMB and drag the mouse, that will move the selected polygons in their normal direction.

Now select the outside faceloop and again use the "H"+LMB, and move the selection outward slightly, you should see a gap between those 2 faceloops

Select the 2 top edgeloops and use the "Bridge" command.

Select one of the polygons on the side of the mesh and use "Geometry-> Common Commands n Tools-> Unify Polygon Facings". That will make sure all the polygon normals are facing the same direction for the mesh.

Just for reference. I have deleted part of the cylinder, so you can see a cross section of the fold.

Hope that helps, just ask if anything is not clear.

• Edge
September 29, 2012, 02:21:30 am
Hi Steve,
      Thanks again, for helping me out.
Last night I had a little time to try this out. From what I see, you need to do the top hem
before the straps. I tried it with the straps, but when I bridged. Well, there was bridges everywhere.

It worked real good with the strapless version.

Everything went like clockwork, until I got to (Unify Polygon Facings).
The closest thing I could find was, (Flip Polygon Facings).
I probably need to update. I'm still running version 2.4, that I got back in June.
I'm just not sure how update work on VW. Do you install on top of the old one?
Or do you delete all the files in the folder, and reinstall fresh?

Hopefully Sunday I will have some more time to sit down with it.
Thanks again for the help.  ;D

• Triangle
    • Reiner`s Tilesets
September 29, 2012, 09:24:58 am
I probably need to update. I'm still running version 2.4, that I got back in June.

Neither nor is really necessary. Just download the newest version. It`s a zipfile. Create a folder, place it where you want ( i have mine at another drive), move the zipfile inside of it. Unzip it. And with a click at the Voidworld.exe you can immediately run the new version.

Before that you might want to backup the "DigitalFossils" folder in your documents directory in case the new version mixes up the settings.
Free Gamegraphics, Freeware Games http//www.reinerstilesets.de

• No avatar
  • Polygon
September 29, 2012, 12:34:20 pm
Hi 3dwizzard,

I tried it with the straps, but when I bridged. Well, there was bridges everywhere.
More than likely a problem due to the directions of the polygon normals. I will put together a quick example when I get back from city center (have been ordered out for shopping trip)

Everything went like clockwork, until I got to (Unify Polygon Facings).
The closest thing I could find was, (Flip Polygon Facings).
Yes, sorry, it was an addition made a few builds ago, I thought you would be using the latest version.

Just delete the "Voidworld" folder, but keep a backup copy of the "msvcr71.dll" to copy to the new folder of the updated version.
All the config files are in the "DigitalFossils" folder. Up to now I have had no problem simply leaving it and letting the updated version of nVil use that, but you would (as mentioned by Tiles) be better to keep a backup copy of that just in case of any problems.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
October 01, 2012, 12:35:07 am
Hi 3dwizzard,

I was having a look at the problem with "Bridge", there does appear to be a bug, but it depends on construction of the surfaces being bridged. If I can narrow the problem down I can make a bug report.

How did you create the straps for the dress? Was it with a spline + Slide?

• Edge
October 01, 2012, 02:09:30 am
Okay, now I am confused. I opened up the folder where I unzipped the EXE. I don't see no DigitalFossils folder.
I would like to make a backup with the other configuration. All the changes I did with the import of scale.
And the export scale. Right now, it works great with Poser.
Plus I have that out for two monitors.

This is what I'm seeing:

Okay I found it. It was on my C drive, in the my documents folder.
How it got there, I don't know.

I don't know if I should make a copy of it, or let it go?

Hi Steve,
      Just caught your post.
How did you create the straps for the dress? Was it with a spline + Slide?
I use retopo.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
October 01, 2012, 02:20:33 am
Hi 3dwizzard,

Okay I found it. It was on my C drive, in the my documents folder.
How it got there, I don't know.
NVIL will create that folder + default preferences when it first starts if it is not already there.

I don't know if I should make a copy of it, or let it go?
I would make a backup copy.
You do not need to delete the original, just leave it where it is, and the new version of NVIL will use those preferences.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
October 01, 2012, 01:29:53 pm
Hi 3dwizzard,

...........but when I bridged. Well, there was bridges everywhere..

I have started a thread concerning "Bridge", it shows an example of problems I see, and the way I work around them.

http://voidworld.cmcproductions.co.uk/index.php/topic,500.0.html