News:

Topic: ZBrush's QMesh - extrusion w/ auto weld&cleanup  (Read 10103 times)

• Triangle
February 14, 2015, 01:36:02 am
I've seen, that in ZBrush 4R7 some methods of low poly modeling were introduced, and while the majority of them is not news (and no means for precise modeling), some innovation caught my attention that is called QMesh, especially a specific funtion of that brush. It's the ability to auto weld/fuse an extrusion with its neighbouring faces and auto clean up the mesh. A video clip can show more, than I am able to explain with words: http://youtu.be/i0DGujFOxJg

I can imagine that this saves a lot of work and speeds up modeling significantly. It saves you the trouble of deleting the inner or outer overlapping faces that occur with extrusion and afterwards welding the vertices together. The benefit is that you're also able to subtract volumes easily, because you're not left with overlapping faces. I tried but found no easy and fast way of doing that in NVil. See the picture below for end result. And returning this to its original cube form by building up the volume again through extrusion is not so fast either because of aforementioned problems.

So the request is for this kind of auto-weld, auto clean-up extrusion. The sliding of the non-welded edges as seen in the video would also be nice.

• No avatar
  • Triangle
February 14, 2015, 03:13:43 am
+500

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
February 22, 2015, 10:52:27 am
Try this
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Feb-21-15.rar

* Edit > Options > Extrusion Options > Polygon Extrusion Auto Weld Enabled.
  * Edit > Preference > General > Polygon extrusion auto weld threshold angle.

Have fun.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
February 22, 2015, 12:56:27 pm
Probably a good time for me to remind about the missing ability of polygon extruding to snap points.

Also a good time to put forward the problems with co-planer polygon creation(which this tool can also create).

• Administrator
  • Polygon
    • http://samardac.com/
February 24, 2015, 03:19:33 pm
Vaquero, can you explain how to use these features, can not understand. May be some video will be great.
Portfolio: www.samardac.com

• No avatar
  • Triangle
February 24, 2015, 09:30:22 pm
Подробная информация об использовании оперативной
(JIT) отладки вместо данного диалогового
окна содержится в конце этого сообщения.

************** Текст исключения **************
System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Индекс находился вне границ массива.
   в DigitalFossil.AnimationDesign.AnimationDesignGraphicWindow.ModelDesigner.Component.SelectEdgeAtPoint(Single x, Single y, ArrayList objects, Boolean ignoreCulling, Boolean allowSubdEdges, Boolean canSnapToEndPoint, Single allowance)
   в DigitalFossil.AnimationDesign.AnimationDesignGraphicWindow.ModelDesigner.CharacterHolder.SelectEdgeAtPoint(Single x, Single y, Single allowance, Component hintComponent, Boolean freezedComponentBlocked, Boolean ignoreCulling, ArrayList objects)
   в DigitalFossil.AnimationDesign.AnimationDesignGraphicWindow.ModelDesigner.Util.GetEdgeSnapPoint(Single x, Single y, Single tolerance, Boolean snapToEdgeMidPoint, AbstractGraphicWindow graphicWindow, ArrayList characters, CharacterHolder exclusiveCharacter, Component hintComponent, Boolean freezedComponentBlocked, Vector3& intersectPt, Object& objEdge)
   в DigitalFossil.AnimationDesign.AnimationDesignGraphicWindow.ModelDesigner.GetSnapPointCore(ReferenceVector3 origianlPtRef, Single x, Single y, Boolean snapToGridPlane, Boolean snapToGridPoint, Boolean snapToGridLine, Boolean snapToFace, Boolean snapToPolyCenter, Boolean snapToEdge, Boolean snapToEdgeMidPt, Boolean snapToVertex, Boolean snapToSpline, Boolean snapToObject, Boolean snapToMesh, CharacterHolder excludedCharacter, Object& snappedObject, Boolean& isOthographicPlaneSnapping)
   в DigitalFossil.AnimationDesign.AnimationDesignGraphicWindow.ModelDesigner.UpdateSnapPointSearch()
   в DigitalFossil.AnimationDesign.AnimationDesignGraphicWindow.ModelDesigner.Update()
   в DigitalFossil.AnimationDesign.AnimationDesignGraphicWindow.FrameMove()
   в DigitalFossil.BaseGraphicWindow.FullRenderDetail(Boolean forced)
   в DigitalFossil.BaseGraphicWindow.Render(PresentTarget pt, Boolean forced)
   в DigitalFossil.BaseGraphicWindow.FullRender(Boolean forced, Boolean allWindows)
   в DigitalFossil.BaseGraphicWindow.FullRender()
   в DigitalFossil.AnimationDesign.AnimationDesignForm.FullRender()
   в DigitalFossil.AnimationDesign.AnimationDesignForm.Render()
   в DigitalFossil.StartForm.DoRender()
   в System.Windows.Forms.Timer.OnTick(EventArgs e)
   в System.Windows.Forms.Timer.TimerNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   в System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Загруженные сборки **************
mscorlib
    Версия сборки: 2.0.0.0
    Версия Win32: 2.0.50727.5477 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
NVil 1.0
    Версия сборки: 2.3.5531.42732
    Версия Win32: 2.3.5531.42732
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Vlad/Desktop/NVil-Feb-21-15/NVil%201.0.exe
WorkShop
    Версия сборки: 2.3.5531.42725
    Версия Win32: 2.3.5531.42725
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Vlad/Desktop/NVil-Feb-21-15/WorkShop.DLL
BasicD3DClasses
    Версия сборки: 2.3.5531.42721
    Версия Win32: 2.3.5531.42721
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Vlad/Desktop/NVil-Feb-21-15/BasicD3DClasses.DLL
CharacterClasses
    Версия сборки: 2.3.5531.42720
    Версия Win32: 2.3.5531.42720
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Vlad/Desktop/NVil-Feb-21-15/CharacterClasses.DLL
System.Windows.Forms
    Версия Win32: 2.0.50727.5468 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System

• No avatar
  • Triangle
February 25, 2015, 08:05:34 am

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
February 25, 2015, 08:30:30 am
Darcvizer, can you reproduce the bug? If can, can you tell me the steps to reproduce it? A video will help.

• No avatar
  • Triangle
February 25, 2015, 08:50:32 am
I can not repeat the mistake, it was an accident when I test new tool.
I used to streamline>extrude.
Founded and another mistake.
https://yadi.sk/d/5llBQKDMesomC

https://yadi.sk/d/WYWIKsMVespiQ
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 09:02:36 am by Darcvizer »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
February 25, 2015, 09:31:22 am
I have fixed the latest bug.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
February 25, 2015, 09:34:17 am
Probably a good time for me to remind about the missing ability of polygon extruding to snap points.

Also a good time to put forward the problems with co-planer polygon creation(which this tool can also create).

What are these? Can you give detail?

• Triangle
February 25, 2015, 02:13:50 pm
I just had a test run with simple geometry in the latest feb 24th build and this tool is great! Unfortunately it often produces unexpected results. I made a lengthy video that shows annotations for each unexpected behavior. Most of the time it occurs when extrude streamline tool is executed with nmb action. It works better with lmb, even though it's the same streamline basic tool.
http://youtu.be/sfSgGYt3mOc

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
February 26, 2015, 08:13:27 am
I don't know how to recreate the bugs shown in the video.

What is the value of your auto weld threshold angle? Which tool have you assigned to NMB?

And what is your value for this setting, Edit > Preference > General > Extrusion threshold in pixels. The default value is 4.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 09:58:17 am by IStonia »

• No avatar
  • Triangle
    • Portfolio
February 26, 2015, 11:04:39 am
this feature is kinda cool....I could see it being useful on hard edged modeling techniques.

• No avatar
  • Triangle
    • Portfolio
February 26, 2015, 11:43:05 am
small request:

can we have a soft snap at .5 and .25  so that we can have precise extrusions?

i guess using shift is enough
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 11:49:46 am by Mason »