News:

Topic: ZBrush's QMesh - extrusion w/ auto weld&cleanup  (Read 10104 times)

• Triangle
February 26, 2015, 05:44:27 pm
I don't know how to recreate the bugs shown in the video.

What is the value of your auto weld threshold angle? Which tool have you assigned to NMB?

And what is your value for this setting, Edit > Preference > General > Extrusion threshold in pixels. The default value is 4.

Angle is at 30 and extrude threshold at 4 (defaults). The streamline tool on nmb and lmb is extrude_polygonNormal#. Here are my user settings:
NVil - Vaquero-User Settings - Feb 2015

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon

• Triangle
February 27, 2015, 08:01:09 pm
I had a quick go at it and it works really nice. Great job!

• No avatar
  • Polygon
February 28, 2015, 05:34:04 am
I did not really want to get involed with this, but will make a post.

How do we get an extrsion to snap point, or to planer?

Simple example:

I have base simple model. I want to extrude hightlighted polygon, to same hight as top planer surface. I do not know the actual hight of the extrusion, so stepping cannot be used(unless of course I want to measure ever hight before I make an extrusion, which is not workable).

So I extrude with new option. The auto weld is made, and I am left with polygon which is adjustable in hight, but no way to make planer to hight required. There is no(never as been) any snapping for polygon extrusion, so cannot snap to top face. There is no stepping that can be used.
Should we just guess? or exit tool to make planer with other tools/functions?

-----------------------------

co-planer faces creation.

With same simple example. I want to extrude face inward. I select face to extrude:-

On extrusion, result as expected.

However, if I had selected the top face instead:-

The result is a concave quad, with 3 vertex welded, producing co-planer faces, and a floating vertex with no way to make correct alignment.
The result should of been as previous exrude.

I am going to have a few weeks off beta testing, so if changes are made, others can beta test.

• Administrator
  • Polygon
    • http://samardac.com/
February 28, 2015, 08:36:39 am
steve, those things also confuse me.
Portfolio: www.samardac.com

• No avatar
  • Triangle
    • Portfolio
February 28, 2015, 08:56:03 am
The tool definately needs a planar snap and the  distance should be shown in % of  local edge length so we can extrude at 50% or 25%.

The last picture is not a bug, the tool  functions by welding verts so you will need a supporting edge first for it to weld to, which is why it works in the other picture.

Ideally, this polygon should just be deleted,  which would be awesome because it would behave like a boolean that carves edges.

Tool works great,  this is just a little polish.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
March 01, 2015, 10:28:56 am
Try this
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Feb-28-15.rar

The snapping ability is added.

• Triangle
March 01, 2015, 09:26:05 pm
Whoohoo! Now I can use edge snapping to midpoint to get half steps and snapping to vertex to get full steps. Thank you!

• No avatar
  • Triangle
    • Portfolio
March 02, 2015, 12:40:48 pm
really nice now!

Thanx!

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 02, 2015, 02:32:04 pm
I use Zbrush anyway – so replicating the Qmesh feature clearly isn't what I personally wish for most...so I really would not mind if IStonia now did something else again :)

But I think what makes the Zbrush command so elegant isn't quite met yet. The auto-welding is there, but what happens when one drags inwards is at least equally cool. First stage is undo the just created extrusion, second stage is extrude in opposite direction, third stage is bridge/hole/cutout creation and automatic cleanup + polygroup-creation.

• No avatar
  • Triangle
    • Portfolio
March 02, 2015, 05:58:21 pm
http://www.hard-mesh.com/

Doing spline based fillets would be a considerable feature.

• Triangle
March 02, 2015, 06:02:40 pm
yeah the QMesh in Zbrush does bridging, too. But I'm satisfied with the NVil implementation. Let's not make this thead about wishes or other features. Because then I would have to press for a descent UV workflow...

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
March 07, 2015, 10:39:58 am
I use Zbrush anyway – so replicating the Qmesh feature clearly isn't what I personally wish for most...so I really would not mind if IStonia now did something else again :)

But I think what makes the Zbrush command so elegant isn't quite met yet. The auto-welding is there, but what happens when one drags inwards is at least equally cool. First stage is undo the just created extrusion, second stage is extrude in opposite direction, third stage is bridge/hole/cutout creation and automatic cleanup + polygroup-creation.

It behaves like that now if snapping is off.

• Administrator
  • Polygon
    • http://samardac.com/
March 19, 2015, 06:48:45 am
Can not finish it:

« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 07:12:42 am by samardac »
Portfolio: www.samardac.com

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 22, 2015, 03:29:09 pm
bumping up this one, I wish this can be updated to become more powerful. Thanks!

-Arvin