News:

Topic: Where are the tutorials  (Read 13916 times)

• No avatar
  • Vertex
    • Kenmojr's Weblog
December 25, 2013, 02:35:08 am
Ok... I create a simple cube but I can not do a ring select via the visual tools as it doesn't work... However if I go through the menus it does...

• No avatar
  • Polygon
December 25, 2013, 02:41:25 am
Ok... I create a simple cube but I can not do a ring select via the visual tools as it doesn't work... However if I go through the menus it does...

I have not used the visual tools for a long time, but on checking, that looks like a bug.

For now, use the double MMB(Middle Mouse Button) on an edge, or select an edge and press "H".

I will put in a bug report.

• No avatar
  • Vertex
    • Kenmojr's Weblog
December 25, 2013, 02:42:33 am
There is no doubt IMHO Nvil is a very powerful modeling app but I'm having a difficult time getting my mind around the toolset.

We can hammer back and forth here all night and then again when another newbie has similar questions...

Are there any video tutorials for newbies? A simple YES or NO is all I'm asking for...And if it is YES, where are they?

again these would be an introduction to the tools and where they are located and not an intermediate or advanced user showing off his modeling skills... Don't get me wrong, i do appreciate those types of tutorials but not when I stumbling around in a new app...

• No avatar
  • Vertex
    • Kenmojr's Weblog
December 25, 2013, 02:45:38 am

I have not used the visual tools for a long time, but on checking, that looks like a bug.

For now, use the double MMB(Middle Mouse Button) on an edge, or select an edge and press "H".

I will put in a bug report.

You're kdding me, right? A newbie finds an unreported bug in Nvil? How many users are there of this app? Perhaps instead of looking at a 64bit version a bug fix would be in order as well as some documentation and tutorials....

• No avatar
  • Polygon
December 25, 2013, 02:46:58 am
Are there any video tutorials for newbies?

Not that I know of, I have never looked for any.

I was going to make some, but when I put forward the format I would use, it was dismissed as not wanted.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
December 25, 2013, 02:51:19 am
You're kdding me, right? A newbie finds an unreported bug in Nvil? How many users are there of this app? Perhaps instead of looking at a 64bit version a bug fix would be in order as well as some documentation and tutorials....

I do not know anyone who uses the visual tools for selection methods, there are simpler easier ways of selecting as I have put forward.

Documentation is quite good compared to other applications I have seen/tried/used. If you had looked through the help file, you would not be asking how to select edge loops/edge rings.

• No avatar
  • Vertex
    • Kenmojr's Weblog
December 25, 2013, 02:53:59 am
I do not know anyone who uses the visual tools for selection methods, there are simpler easier ways of selecting as I have put forward.

I am sorry but IMHO your way navigating through menus is not easier. As a Hexagon user the visual tools are more closely aligned to the way i am used to doing so in Hexagon.

Kindly refer to my screen capture.

• No avatar
  • Vertex
    • Kenmojr's Weblog
December 25, 2013, 03:00:43 am
Looks like a fellow member on Renderosity is looking forward to a 64 bit version but has stayed away from Nvil for the same reasons as me...

See post by cjd

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2875177

• No avatar
  • Polygon
December 25, 2013, 03:02:17 am

I am sorry but IMHO your way navigating through menus is not easier. As a Hexagon user the visual tools are more closely aligned to the way i am used to doing so in Hexagon.

Kindly refer to my screen capture.

I do not navigate through menus.

For edge loop selection I double LMB on edge. For edge ring selection I double MMB on edge(info included in my other post). No menus used at all. Why move the mouse to menu when not really needed.

• No avatar
  • Vertex
    • Kenmojr's Weblog
December 25, 2013, 03:13:45 am
As I explained to IStonia above when he suggested the same, "IT does  NOT work for me"... Nothing happens when I select an edge and double left mouse click or double middle mouse  button click....However at least the menu navigating does allow me to do a edge or ring select. With the visual tools only edge select works...:(

And to be perfectly honest with you I have no more intentions of spending anymore time with this app with it's terrible UI until there is either training videos or a revamp ui... And read the links I posted above. I am NOT the only newbie with these concerns...

Now spend some time with your loved ones...

Merry Christmas...
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 03:19:32 am by kenmo »

• No avatar
  • Polygon
December 25, 2013, 03:25:29 am
As I explained to IStonia above when he suggested the same, "IT does  NOT work for me"... Nothing happens when I select an edge and double left mouse click or double middle mouse  button click....

You double LMB on an edge(the same edge) to edge loop select.
You double MMB on an edge(the same edge) to edge ring select.

So, for example, move you mouse cursor over an edge, when the edge high_lights(by default it changes from white to yellow), double LMB to edge loop select.

• No avatar
  • Vertex
    • Kenmojr's Weblog
December 25, 2013, 03:49:23 am
Wow...how many times must I post...IT DOES NOT WORK for me... sorry but I can not be any clearer than that...Now we are done... I am through with Nvil until the changes I posted above happen and if they do not my life will continue...

I do not want the frustration of dealing with Nvil when there are simpler alternatives... This is a hobby. My day to day job as a network system admin causes my blood level to rise even after close to 30 years with Novel NetWare, Suse Linux and now MS Windows Server....

This is a hobby....I want to create art and not have my blood pressure explode and I find Nvil is doing this....

Cheers and Merry Christmas....

• No avatar
  • Vertex
    • Kenmojr's Weblog
December 25, 2013, 03:08:24 pm
OK... I thought I was a bit hasty last night in my reply. So I decided to give the ring select, edge select with the double mouse click a try...

I created a cube and selected one of the top edges and double clicking with the LMB did nothing. Next I selected one of the vertical edges and did a double MMB click and the ring did in fact become selected. I then connected the selected ringed edges. I selected one of the new edges I created. LMB clicking on the new edge did in fact select a loop of the new edges.

Is this a bug or just plain inconsistency with the edge select tool?

• No avatar
  • Polygon
December 25, 2013, 04:10:50 pm
I created a cube and selected one of the top edges and double clicking with the LMB did nothing. Next I selected one of the vertical edges and did a double MMB click and the ring did in fact become selected. I then connected the selected ringed edges. I selected one of the new edges I created. LMB clicking on the new edge did in fact select a loop of the new edges.

Edge loop selection stopping at N-pole is nothing out of extraordinary. How it's supposed to decide where to go on this junction?
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 09:28:19 pm by rubberDuck »

• No avatar
  • Polygon
December 25, 2013, 05:56:42 pm
OK... I thought I was a bit hasty last night in my reply. So I decided to give the ring select, edge select with the double mouse click a try...

Edge loop selection will stop at vertex with an odd number of connected edge.

With your example, Hexagon is exactly the same and you will see the same result.