News:

Topic: Where are the tutorials  (Read 13918 times)

• No avatar
  • Vertex
    • Kenmojr's Weblog
December 25, 2013, 11:33:16 pm
I just created a cube in Hexagon and did the same test and you are absolutely correct....Hex does the same... Sorry about that...but I could have sworn I've done it before in Hex but I guess not... :-[

Here are some of my free stuff on ShareCG. Mostly created in Hexagon and/or Groboto with texturing in 3DCoat and/or UV Mapper Classsic.

http://www.sharecg.com/kenmo

Many thanks for the help. Appreciate it...
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 11:35:45 pm by kenmo »

• No avatar
  • Vertex
January 12, 2014, 11:27:08 am
I'm gearing up to make some tutorials... What kind of stuff are you looking for, it may help me in what I have planned and with what I decide to go forward with?

I was thinking of starting with the complete basics of polygon modelling after going through the process of setting up the interface to fit the needs of myself so that you or anyone watching can find what they feel comfortable with and go with that. Does this sound like something that would interest you?

I'm currently trying to workout a process to build up to a full character tutorial but I am unsure how simple to start and what level to gradually progress to before starting on the character stuff, and I am also still in the process of making some Icons to use for my custom layout and such, so this won't be instant but it will be coming soon! I really enjoy using this software...

Give me some of your ideas and I'll try and work with that based on what I have in mind already.

Kind Regards
Patrick

• No avatar
  • Spline
January 12, 2014, 02:45:54 pm
I was thinking of starting with the complete basics of polygon modelling...

Hi Patrick, good to hear! I am franky not sure though if starting with "complete basics" was the most effective way to get people going - at least not for the very first video tutorials available for Nvil. The web already bursts of tutorials on general concepts of polygon modelling - it even for beginners doesn't take much to transfer principles from videos made in Maya, Modo or Blender. The underlying geometry creation logic is completely the same in all these apps, no?

Nvil, I feel appeals to people with previous modeling experience anyway, so one might give "general concepts" a somewhat lower priority - such could happen later if still considered needed. Also as Nvil is so crazyly customizable there's not "the way" to do a certain task in Nvil.

What I found far more important were explanations of the functionality of every single Tool as they thus far are very sparingly documented. Just create a plane and showcase all options of the currently chosen tool, while using visual tools and when using the Space and Caps / Home-Key options. The outcome would not look very sexy adimitedly but I feel such was very important.

Also there could be a whole series about the customization logic and the Streamline Tool setup. What kind of customization should take place in Tools - what is better customized through Streamline Tools? What are all Event Types, what does Redirect mean, what are the Emulation Keys, what can one do with Composite Tools? How can I start playing around with custom settings without having to worry that I mess up everything? While I can enumerate all this - I even after considerable time of using Nvil couldn't answer all this competently.
It would really be great to win someone like Steve, who knows these details very well to aid with tutorials of this kind.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 02:52:27 pm by polyxo »

• No avatar
  • Vertex
January 12, 2014, 03:20:48 pm
Hi Patrick, good to hear! I am franky not sure though if starting with "complete basics" was the most effective way to get people going - at least not for the very first video tutorials available for Nvil. The web already bursts of tutorials on general concepts of polygon modelling - it even for beginners doesn't take much to transfer principles from videos made in Maya, Modo or Blender. The underlying geometry creation logic is completely the same in all these apps, no?

It is indeed pretty much the same and very transferable, the reason I was considering starting from the basics and going onward was simply to make it more accessable to someone who is new to modelling or should I say make it appeal more to those people, and build up to the tutorials that would allow for the more experienced modellers to use the later ones. I am perhaps not explaining very well but I am trying to figure out what type of things to best create as I can model and I can use Nvil to a decent degree and it does need some tutorials... I have not delved too much into the custom tools myself yet but I know how to make some nifty things and I will be making some videos on that for sure.

Nvil, I feel appeals to people with previous modeling experience anyway, so one might give "general concepts" a somewhat lower priority - such could happen later if still considered needed. Also as Nvil is so crazyly customizable there's not "the way" to do a certain task in Nvil.
I felt the same way about how it's so custom and such, that is why I was going to make a video on showing how I have my setup and how I created it, and why... That way I can show people new or expereienced the way in which I will tackle certain problems I occur when modelling.

What I found far more important were explanations of the functionality of every single Tool as they thus far are very sparingly documented. Just create a plane and showcase all options of the currently chosen tool, while using visual tools and when using the Space and Caps / Home-Key options. The outcome would not look very sexy adimitedly but I feel such was very important.

This is good to hear, I could do something like this without much trouble, the way I was going to go though was to in a way keep it simple and through the course of the tutorials and the build up to more complex topics I was planning on introducing certain tools at the start of the videos and presenting what type of things we will use and do to accomplish the model at hand. You're simply suggesting videos on the features of the tools as a separate thing though, right?

-----

I appreciate the response, its good to hear from the community that I will be trying to cater for, perhaps I can skip the complete basics then, my reason for not wanting to do so before was simply because some people (even people that I know) have trouble transferring tutorials from one application to the next... I don't understand the problem but perhaps this is because I've been doing this for so long now.

Kind Regards
Patrick

• No avatar
  • Vertex
    • Kenmojr's Weblog
January 13, 2014, 03:34:00 pm
I like the idea of explaining with examples the toolset in Nvil. My frustration is finding where the tools are. No offense to anyone but the user interface in Nvil is too confusing, especially for someone who uses Hexagaon.

Cheers

• No avatar
  • Vertex
January 13, 2014, 04:15:20 pm
I like the idea of explaining with examples the toolset in Nvil. My frustration is finding where the tools are. No offense to anyone but the user interface in Nvil is too confusing, especially for someone who uses Hexagaon.

Cheers

I think that is why most of us customize it to what we need :P lol but I've taken what you and the other person here have said and I will work something out!

• No avatar
  • Vertex
    • Kenmojr's Weblog
January 14, 2014, 01:10:29 pm
Thanks kindly....

• No avatar
  • Vertex
    • Kenmojr's Weblog
February 20, 2014, 06:25:44 pm
Wow...all this talk about tutorials and still NOTHING aimed at Nvil newbies...