News:

Topic: Draw Mesh Tool New Function Test  (Read 11682 times)

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
November 01, 2018, 08:06:57 am
Can anyone test this new version?
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Nov-01-18.rar

Previously when hit Enter key to convert drawn lines to mesh, viewport camera angle must be in a position where all polygons will face the camera. This makes it difficult to generate curvy meshes quickly. In this new version, camera angle is not required. But this new function can be less reliable as sometimes the line intersections may not be detected properly at some spots. It should be fine though in most of cases. Please let me know the test result.

The old viewport camera angle function is still available through this hotkey, Ctrl+Enter.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
November 02, 2018, 08:06:38 am
Some improvement on the function to make it more robust.

http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Nov-02-18.rar

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • White-creatures
November 02, 2018, 02:07:40 pm
Hi IStonia, nice to see new function!

I did a quick test, and got some problem with simple draw...

second gif shows me trying out camara angle that are away from drawing

Btw, on the topic of draw mesh, I have some requests of other new functions, sorry to derail a little bit..

(Edit: Sorry, it's not new functions.. also I think I solved the things below so please ignore the following)

two operations that I frequently use when working with draw mesh is Tweak and Smooth. I hope to able to tweak and smooth while I was in Draw mode. Currently to tweak, I will switch to Tweak mode using the radio button, I hope able to do it with some hotkey. To smooth, I will switch to another tool, Tweak -> Relax, hope to able to do it with some hotkey too.

gif below hope to describes better:

« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 01:18:22 am by miica »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
November 02, 2018, 06:09:28 pm
Hi IStonia, nice to see new function!

I did a quick test, and got some problem with simple draw...

second gif shows me trying out camara angle that are away from drawing

Can you send me the reference object model so I can test on it?

Btw, on the topic of draw mesh, I have some requests of other new functions, sorry to derail a little bit..

two operations that I frequently use when working with draw mesh is Tweak and Smooth. I hope to able to tweak and smooth while I was in Draw mode. Currently to tweak, I will switch to Tweak mode using the radio button, I hope able to do it with some hotkey. To smooth, I will switch to another tool, Tweak -> Relax, hope to able to do it with some hotkey too.

gif below hope to describes better:

To avoid complicating this thread, can you make new thread for this?

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • White-creatures
November 02, 2018, 06:24:15 pm
Can you send me the reference object model so I can test on it?
To avoid complicating this thread, can you make new thread for this?

Ya sure, for the model I uploaded to dropbox and this is the link

https://www.dropbox.com/s/80ahzad3kptd0dz/female-body.7z?dl=1

I will create a new thread for the requests.

Thanks.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
November 03, 2018, 10:27:04 am
Try this version and see if better
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Nov-03-18.rar

Only polygons of 3 or 4 edges can be generated.
The viewport angle function hotkey is changed from Ctrl+Enter to Alt+Enter.

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • White-creatures
November 03, 2018, 03:26:54 pm
Thanks! Working great I think, previously we would get some jumbled results like this

and now that's working so much better :D

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
November 09, 2018, 10:57:55 am
miica, can you test this?
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Nov-09-18.rar

* Two more functions are added to Draw Mesh tool, Mesh_Tweak and Mesh_Brush. They are built-in streamline tools which can be activated without leaving the Draw Mesh tool. This makes it easier to work with mesh while working with Draw Mesh tool. For detail see the Draw Mesh tool tip.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 10:43:30 am by IStonia »

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • White-creatures
November 10, 2018, 01:52:38 am
Thanks IStonia! for taking the time to implement the extra functions.

But I got to apologize for a mistake in my previous post (that I post hastily)

Currently to tweak, I will switch to Tweak mode using the radio button, I hope able to do it with some hotkey.

I realized afterwards that Nvil already has a hotkey for Tweak, which is <Caps-Lock + Space>. The reason I wasn't using it is because I am left-handed, so when doing retopo.. my hands are placed like in the drawing below

my right hand covers the <L><:><'><,><.>... those bunch of keys and my thumb stays on top of right-Alt (for navigating the viewport). So Caps-Lock is too far for my right hand to reach, and all this while I have been using the radio button and forgot about its already existing hotkey.

While I was about to post a new thread few days ago so not to complicate this thread, I realized I can use Autohotkey to solve this problem. I remap <,> to <Caps-Lock>, so now to switch to Tweak in Draw Mesh, instead of pressing <Caps-Lock +
Space> I press <, + Space>. It works well because another function of draw mesh: Patch, is also using <Caps-Lock>, all I need is just press <,>. So this setup seems to work well so far, no need to drop my pen or reach for the mouse, my hands are most of the time placed like how it is in the drawing during retopo.

Then there's the relax function from the Tweak tool that I also used quite a bit. I have a button to access it, my only complain is I have to switch out of Draw Mesh to use it, and after I done relax some vertices, to get back into Draw Mesh, I have to press <Esc> (I remapped it to <End>) to end the tool first, pressing hotkey or using button of draw mesh does not switch tool.

I just checked out the new functions, these are exactly what I am asking for, thanks!

I like the idea of using a hotkey to switch to a streamline tool to tweak subobjects and smooth subobject, but again the hotkey is not left-handed friendly (>.<) <1> and <2> is too far for my right hand.. but no worries, I use the Autohotkey trick again and it works :D

My Autohotkey script looks like this:

#IfWinActive ahk_class WindowsForms10.Window.8.app.0.2bf8098_r12_ad1
end::Esc    ; this is used to End a tool operation, it's for easier access by right hand
,::CapsLock
RShift:: Send {Shift down}{2 down}     ;Right-Shift to use Mesh_Brush
RShift Up:: Send {Shift up}{2 up}
RCtrl:: Send {Shift down}{1 down}     ;Right-Ctrl to use Mesh_Tweak
RCtrl Up:: Send {Shift up}{1 up}
#IfWinActive

For the new functions Mesh_Tweak and Mesh Brush, these what I find so far:

Major issues:
1. <Shift + 1> doesn't work.
2. To undo the effect of Mesh_Brush we have to use UndoScene button, <Ctrl-Z> doesn't work.

Minor issues:
1. Changing the radius of Mesh_Tweak feels a bit slow using mouse scroll. I was thinking of dragging MMB (or RMB) horizontally to change the radius but saw that it's occupied by Tweak_Scale. Tweak_Scale and Tweak_Rotate will need radius to be useful because scaling or rotating a single vertex doesn't do anything. But then.. personally I haven't found the need to scale or rotate vertices much during retopo though..

2. There's also no way to change the "Weight" on Mesh_Brush (can it be possible to use tablet pressure sensitivity?)

Also, what is Assigned_Tools and how to use it?

I think I will create a new thread to post my setup for doing retopo, for left-handed peoples.

(ps. it's miica with double 'i' ;))

[Edit] Actually I can't use Right Ctrl and Shift for the remap because I am also using those two keys outside of Draw Mesh, will have to think of other ways..
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 10:10:08 am by miica »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
November 10, 2018, 10:48:48 am
miica, I made some changes so you don't have to remap keys which can potentially confuse you and cause trouble in the future.

http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Nov-10-18.rar

-- The Mesh_Tweak/Brush hotkeys now are Shift+1\0, Alt+1\0, Shift+2\9 and Alt+2\9.
-- "Caps Lock" is the hotkey of this tool, Common Shortcut Tools > Redirect Modifier. You can change it to any key, like "," as you prefered.
-- "Shift+1" works fine on my end. There could be problems on your side. Just check it out and let me know.
-- When in Mesh_Tweak or Mesh_Brush mode, Ctrl+Z will undo scene.
-- The brush's radius\weight\curve can be adjusted once the "Brush_Relax" basic streamline tool is activated on mouse down. Search this tool in "Tool Search" window and read through its tooltip. Let me know if you get it or not.
-- Right Shift/Ctrl/Alt && Left Shift/Ctrl/Alt are treated as the same key by Nvil so you don't have to remap them.
-- In Mesh_Tweak mode, you can rotate/scale highlighted edge/polygon.
-- Assigned_Tools means the streamline basic tools assigned to the Draw Mesh tool. You can assign your own tools in the StreamLine Tool customizing window just like you can to other streamline tools. Maybe I should change the default setting to a cut tool instead of the tweak tools since they are now available in the embedded streamline tool.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 10:05:29 pm by IStonia »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
November 11, 2018, 07:58:45 am
Try this.
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Nov-11-18.rar

* A little improvement on the brush relax tool. Once the tool is activated, to leave the border vertices as is, press down Ctrl key during the operation.

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • White-creatures
November 12, 2018, 01:00:37 am
Thanks IStonia,

The ignore border option is nice a addon.

I finally found the problem with "Shift+1", it works when I disable the "Enabled by Shift key down" in Steppings Window, or setting the move increment to 0.0.

I still couldn't figure out how to assign a basic streamline tool to Assigned_Tools. I opened up the "Customize Modeling StreamLine Engine Tools" is that correct? but I couldn't find anything there.

I also try using Shift + 0/9 briefly... but it's a bit difficult to get used to.. I need to pause to think what to press, so I get back to Autohotkey again and set it up to use Right Shift and Right Ctrl again.. going to test it out and see how it works.

I also got the brush weight to work, it's pressing spacebar during Brush_Relax, and I think it's working great, got to test this one also.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
November 12, 2018, 06:20:16 am
miica, try this
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Nov-12-18.rar

I finally found the problem with "Shift+1", it works when I disable the "Enabled by Shift key down" in Steppings Window, or setting the move increment to 0.0.

Stepping is disabled when Draw Mesh tool is activated. So no worries about the confliction on Shift key.

I still couldn't figure out how to assign a basic streamline tool to Assigned_Tools. I opened up the "Customize Modeling StreamLine Engine Tools" is that correct? but I couldn't find anything there.

In the "Customize Modeling StreamLine Engine Tools" window. In the tool tree view on left, you should find this, Built-in Tools > Draw Mesh. Select it.
There is this group panel, "Mouse Function Tools", at top-right. You should see 6 mouse function slots.
Click the "Set" button to bring up the basic streamline tool window where you can choose the basic streamline tool to assign to the mouse function.
NMB means "No Mouse Button". It is used for operations which you only need to press hotkey to activate the streamline tool then drag mouse to activate the assigned basic streamline tool whithout pressing any mouse button.
For "Draw Mesh" tool, you can set this tool to the LMB slot, Subobject Tools > Mixed Tools > Cut. Please Let me know if this "Cut" tool is useful in retopo process.

For the new functions Mesh_Tweak and Mesh Brush, these what I find so far:

Minor issues:
1. Changing the radius of Mesh_Tweak feels a bit slow using mouse scroll. I was thinking of dragging MMB (or RMB) horizontally to change the radius but saw that it's occupied by Tweak_Scale. Tweak_Scale and Tweak_Rotate will need radius to be useful because scaling or rotating a single vertex doesn't do anything. But then.. personally I haven't found the need to scale or rotate vertices much during retopo though..

You need to enable soft selection. When the tweak tool is activated. Press down Alt key at any time during the operation and drag to adjust soft selection fall-out. This info is printed out in HUD display when the tool is activated. Once a basic streamline tool is activated, pressing down Alt key and drag mouse is used to simulate mouse wheel action. It is used in many basic streamline tools to chang size and segments etc. Good for tablet users.

Also I have changed the Mesh_Brush's RMB tool to Brush_Move. You may use it instead.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
November 12, 2018, 11:03:29 pm
Try this. I improved the basic streamline tool "Cut" a little bit.
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Nov-13-18.rar

Some tips on the tool.
-- When a cut line created on mouse click, a new cut will be initiated from the last vertex of the cut line. To cancel this, move the cursor over that vertex then click.
-- You can press down and hold mouse button then drag to cut through across multiple edges.
-- You can press down and hold mouse button at empty space the drag to draw a slice line. Once mouse button release, the slice line will be used to cut through the existing mesh.

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • White-creatures
November 13, 2018, 07:10:07 am
Thanks IStonia,

So Shift+1 works now; and finally saw the Built in Draw Mesh in the customize streamline tools window (thanks for pointing that out); and using Alt to change the soft selection radius is really nice, works great; and the cut tool is just awesome.

Please Let me know if this "Cut" tool is useful in retopo process.
Yes, I use this a lot. I also put Edge_Loop_Cut/Slide_FixedLength to RMB slot, I use this quite a bit too.

Can we consider having Mesh_Brush to use Alt to change the brush radius as well? I notice holding Alt during Mesh_Brush gives us a reverse effect of the brush but they are not used very often.. for me.. but is ok if we skip this because I think I don't change brush radius too much too..

I recorded a video of me doing retopo, Retopo a Head with Nvil (A Demo) maybe that can give you some ideas to create more tools to help with the process. Currently I am quite happy with what we are having already :D

Thanks~