News:

Topic: Remove doubles?  (Read 12255 times)

• Triangle
    • Reiner`s Tilesets
October 18, 2012, 12:31:00 pm
You have confused me a little.

If you have two or more vertex in the same location, are those not then overlapping?

Yes they do. Sorry for confusion :)

Okay, got it working. Weld in the Visual tools, with threshold of 0.1. Wonder why it didn`t work before. Hm. Thanks for help :)

If the visual tool window is hidden or auto-hide, when you open a visual tool, its setting panel will appear in floating style to make sure its visibility. I hope that's the 'undock feature' you asked for.

Oh, it`s already there. Great. Thanks. Yes, that`s what i was looking for :)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 12:35:53 pm by Tiles »
Free Gamegraphics, Freeware Games http//www.reinerstilesets.de

• No avatar
  • Polygon
October 18, 2012, 12:54:40 pm
I make the weld tool's visual panel floating because the tool is no longer bound to vertex mode. It can be opened and works in all subobject modes.

I have just been checking that. It does certainly make the tool/function even more confusing. The problem of course is the fact that NVIL only welds vertex.(unless using ("sub_object mesh" "mirror > weld")

If, for example I have 2 separate polygons(objects) then weld them, in NVIL I am not actually welding the polygons together, it will collapse the polygons and weld together the vertex of each separate polygons(objects). Other programs I use, would weld the 2 polygons(objects) together, not collapse them.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
October 18, 2012, 12:59:38 pm
Wonder why it didn`t work before. Hm.

I have been getting that sometimes, where a tool/function does not appear to work, but then later does work.

• Triangle
    • Reiner`s Tilesets
October 18, 2012, 01:26:03 pm
I will have an eye at this. But it was most probably me, being too impatient and distracted sometimes :)

I have just been checking that. It does certainly make the tool/function even more confusing. The problem of course is the fact that NVIL only welds vertex.(unless using ("sub_object mesh" "mirror > weld")

If, for example I have 2 separate polygons(objects) then weld them, in NVIL I am not actually welding the polygons together, it will collapse the polygons and weld together the vertex of each separate polygons(objects). Other programs I use, would weld the 2 polygons(objects) together, not collapse them.

Isn`t this the case for what Remove Doubles is meant for? :)

• No avatar
  • Polygon
October 18, 2012, 01:49:26 pm
Isn`t this the case for what Remove Doubles is meant for? :)

Not really no.

With "Remove Doubles" that is for welding nearest vertex in same object/mesh. With Blender, you would first need to join 2 objects before being able to "Remove Doubles" across both. That function is already there in NVIL, with "Weld to Nearest".

What I was describing above about welding 2 separate objects/mesh, could be considered as a join/merge function which automatically welds(remove doubles or whatever you want to call it), similar to the mesh "mirror+Weld" function in NVIL

I am not asking for a new function, only trying to point out that if selecting 2 polygons and running a weld command on them, then I (and probably most others)would expect the 2 polygons to be welded together, not for the 2 polygons to be collapsed. Collapsing the polygons is for the collapse tool/function.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 01:56:15 pm by steve »

• Triangle
    • Reiner`s Tilesets
October 18, 2012, 04:22:48 pm
I see. Let`s have a look what iStonia thinks here :)

• No avatar
  • Polygon
October 18, 2012, 08:44:18 pm
I can see what IStonia is doing with the weld functions, but think it will cause some confusion for users.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
October 19, 2012, 04:56:06 am
I can see three benefits from making the weld tool available in all subobject modes.
  - You don't need to switch mode.
  - Edge and polygon selections are easier to make.
  - Edge and polygon selections provide a different way to distinquish selection groups.

Weling polygons? What is it?

• Triangle
    • Reiner`s Tilesets
October 19, 2012, 06:19:31 am
Weling polygons? What is it?

When i undestand it right it`s something like a remove doubles, just limited to the current faces selection, and with the limit that the vertices needs to overlap.