News:

Topic: Remove doubles?  (Read 12087 times)

• Triangle
    • Reiner`s Tilesets
September 22, 2012, 11:37:03 am
In Blender and tS there are tools to remove not needed vertices. In Blender it`s called Remove doubles. In trueSpace Heal Vertices. Could somebody please tell me how called in Nvil, and where it is located?
Free Gamegraphics, Freeware Games http//www.reinerstilesets.de

• Administrator
  • Polygon
September 22, 2012, 11:43:49 am
In most packages including nvil it is weld, just select all and do a weld with a small tolerance, like you would in max

• Triangle
    • Reiner`s Tilesets
September 22, 2012, 12:42:57 pm
So there`s no special button for that. Thanks :)

• Administrator
  • Polygon
September 22, 2012, 03:14:23 pm
So there`s no special button for that. Thanks :)

what do you mean special button, while you reference blender.

the remove doubles does the exact same thing, it mergs verts within the radius you set, this does the same just is named differently

• Triangle
    • Reiner`s Tilesets
September 22, 2012, 04:20:58 pm
In Blender the weld tool and remove doubles tool are two different things. In trueSpace too. That`s what i have meant :)

• Administrator
  • Polygon
September 22, 2012, 07:07:05 pm
Well the weld tool acts different depending on how you use it here. Have 2 verts selected it merges them have more than you ccan set The tolerance, or you can target weld things.

I don't really see Your point of changing the name to one thing to make it more familiar to one set of isers, while doing the opposite for A other group of users.

Since the feature goes by several different names depending on  the package, and a lot of nvils tools are multi-use, since it;s workflow is based on the concept of it;s streamline tools.

like this feature, off the top of my head i can pick out 4 names for it.

max = weld, maya = Merge Vertices, blender = remove doubles, truespace = heal vertices, and im sure xsi, lightwave, and modo mighjt have differnt names for it too.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 07:09:26 pm by Passerby »

• Triangle
    • Reiner`s Tilesets
September 22, 2012, 08:08:21 pm
I don't really see Your point of changing the name to one thing to make it more familiar to one set of isers, while doing the opposite for A other group of users.

I haven`t requested a name change here. But when i do then because some of the current names for the tools are simply odd and doesn`t tell you what tool is behind. No matter from which side you come.

That lots of tooltips are missing doesn`t really make it any easier.

• Triangle
    • Reiner`s Tilesets
October 18, 2012, 08:44:03 am
I have to come back to this. I tried to do a remove double action. But i cannot get it to work.

First thing is i am in vertice mode, activate snapping to vertice, move another vertice to this vertice, and it doesn`t snap. I´ve zoomed in very close and did it by hand then.

Other selection methods in the Visual Tools doesn`t have a weld button. So i tried in vertice mode. Clicked at Weld in the Visual tools( the toolbar for it pops up in a separate window, and not longer in the Visual Tools. Have i broken something here?), choose Weld to Nearest with a threshold of 0.1, and nothing happens. Same for all other weld methods that i have tested. Must`ve missed the working one again. Or am in the wrong mode :/

How do i remove doubles in Nvil?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 08:46:15 am by Tiles »

• No avatar
  • Polygon
October 18, 2012, 09:36:59 am
First thing is i am in vertice mode, activate snapping to vertice, move another vertice to this vertice, and it doesn`t snap. I´ve zoomed in very close and did it by hand then.
I do have some problems with snapping at times, usually snapping to unselected objects.
I also see problems depending on how I move the vertex. On the "move" manipulator, left click/drag on the little square that surrounds the vertex, that then takes into account the snapping distance set. If you use any other part of the manipulator, the snapping distance is very small and does not appear to always snap correctly. I have been meaning to make a post concerning that.(but it appears to be unpredictable as it works OK most of the time)

To add: You could try increasing the snapping distance in "Edit > Preference > General"

Clicked at Weld in the Visual tools( the toolbar for it pops up in a separate window, and not longer in the Visual Tools. Have i broken something here?),
It is the same on my setup. Not sure if it was intentional or not after the "weld" was recently changed/updated.
choose Weld to Nearest with a threshold of 0.1, and nothing happens. Same for all other weld methods that i have tested. Must`ve missed the working one again. Or am in the wrong mode :/
2 possibilities I can think of.
1: When selecting overlapping vertex, you need to use "Raycast" selection method, so it selects vertex at the back of overlapping front vertex.
2: To make a weld, the vertex need to belong to the same mesh, so if separate objects/meshes, you would first need to "combine(merge meshes)"

« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 09:50:48 am by steve »

• Triangle
    • Reiner`s Tilesets
October 18, 2012, 10:01:20 am
Thanks Steve :)

Will have a look if i can fix the snapping issue with higher general snap settings.

It is the same on my setup. Not sure if it was intentional or not after the "weld" was recently changed/updated.

That`s most probably because of the Weld update. But could come in handy when you build your own custom menu to get rid of the Visual Tools menu. What do you think, worth a request for an undock feature? So that you can call these settings by your own custom toolbars too?

2 possibilities I can think of.
1: When selecting overlapping vertex, you need to use "Raycast" selection method, so it selects vertex at the back of overlapping front vertex.
2: To make a weld, the vertex need to belong to the same mesh, so if separate objects/meshes, you would first need to "combine(merge meshes)"

Hm. I don´t want to select overlapping vertices, i want to weld them together. So that after the job just one vertice is left where there was two or more in the same location. And it was of course one mesh. A simple plane with some more vertices to test how i can do a remove doubles.

My selection method was simply invert. Which selects all vertices :)

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
October 18, 2012, 10:15:15 am
That`s most probably because of the Weld update. But could come in handy when you build your own custom menu to get rid of the Visual Tools menu. What do you think, worth a request for an undock feature? So that you can call these settings by your own custom toolbars too?

I make the weld tool's visual panel floating because the tool is no longer bound to vertex mode. It can be opened and works in all subobject modes.

If the visual tool window is hidden or auto-hide, when you open a visual tool, its setting panel will appear in floating style to make sure its visibility. I hope that's the 'undock feature' you asked for.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
October 18, 2012, 10:21:45 am
Hm. I don´t want to select overlapping vertices, i want to weld them together. So that after the job just one vertice is left where there was two or more in the same location.

You have confused me a little.

If you have two or more vertex in the same location, are those not then overlapping?

• No avatar
  • Polygon
October 18, 2012, 10:40:16 am
If the visual tool window is hidden or auto-hide, when you open a visual tool, its setting panel will appear in floating style to make sure its visibility. I hope that's the 'undock feature' you asked for.

Not consistently.

2 quick example:-

Create Box#: If visual tools window hidden, then using "Geometry > Create > Create box" does open the Box options creation window. But if you create a custom hotkey or custom tool bar (button) entry for "Object shortcut tools > Create Box#" then no options, just the creation of a box at current size.(the same for other object creation tools)

Pivot: "Object shortcut Tools > Pivot". From Hotkey it will open the option in the visual tools, but if visual tools not visible, then no pivot tool options.

To add:
In the visual tools > Object, I can find the commands for Box/Cylinder etc, but cannot find a command(for hotkey/custom toolbar) for the "Create > N-Polygon".

« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 10:56:47 am by steve »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
October 18, 2012, 11:18:44 am
Pivot: "Object shortcut Tools > Pivot". From Hotkey it will open the option in the visual tools, but if visual tools not visible, then no pivot tool options.

Are your sure of this. I've just checked it and it works ok for me.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
October 18, 2012, 11:25:37 am
Are your sure of this.

I was, but now it appears to work.  ???