News:

Topic: Better Booleans  (Read 6711 times)

• No avatar
  • Vertex
December 18, 2017, 02:51:31 am
Hi.

Nvil booleans does not work in many cases and with meshes with lots of polys it crash. Blender Bool tools in the other hand can handle lots of geo and very fast.
Here is an example.

I made the whole boolean operation of all the cylinders at the same time and it only took a couple of seconds, the same meshes crashes nvil when trying the boolean operation.

The other request is to do it live, like in this examples.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Oc2EjwdoJM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K7K4F4ix-Q

Please update the booleans in Nvil.
Thanks
Best Regards

• Polygon
December 18, 2017, 11:59:30 pm
Booleans in blender are really good. I purchased the hardops add on which makes them even better.

Nvil's boolean tools are basic by todays standards so +1 from me for any improvements Istonia can implement.

Some things are just quicker and easier to model with booleans so still an important and relevant tool.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
December 20, 2017, 12:04:36 am
I made the whole boolean operation of all the cylinders at the same time and it only took a couple of seconds, the same meshes crashes nvil when trying the boolean operation.

In Blender you have either the "Carve" booleans (a library from 3rd partly), or the "Bmesh" (which is part of the Bmesh API) the blender devs spent 2-3 years working on.

I am not seeing Nvil crash during booleans. If using a single box primitive to boolean those cylinders from, then nvil will take a while to attempt to resolve the boolean result, as Nvil resolves using tris, it will more than likley fail to resolve the example shown. If you where to add loop cuts to the box, then nvil should be able to complete.

Boolean test in nvil:- (all cylinders boolean at once)

« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 12:55:04 am by steve »

• No avatar
  • Vertex
December 20, 2017, 02:43:10 am

In Blender you have either the "Carve" booleans (a library from 3rd partly), or the "Bmesh" (which is part of the Bmesh API) the blender devs spent 2-3 years working on.

I am not seeing Nvil crash during booleans. If using a single box primitive to boolean those cylinders from, then nvil will take a while to attempt to resolve the boolean result, as Nvil resolves using tris, it will more than likley fail to resolve the example shown. If you where to add loop cuts to the box, then nvil should be able to complete.

Boolean test in nvil:- (all cylinders boolean at once)

I try adding many loop cuts before and it does not work, if i just do the operation with one cylinder, even in an uncut box with out any loops it works with out problem. The problem that i have is having a lot of geometry trying to do the boolean at once.

Also sometime in a far lower poly count geometries depending of how the objects intersect and where are the edges of each object the boolean will not work either. I can have similar problem with blender or maya, but with the live boolean is just a matter of move the cutting object a bit until the operation works.

In blender i`m using BoolTool for the booleans.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5Z7awlhzQg
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 02:50:06 am by yolao »

• No avatar
  • Polygon
December 21, 2017, 01:19:31 am
I try adding many loop cuts before and it does not work
You need to place the edge_loops so they help Nvil resolve the triangulation. Blender was the same before they added the Carve library.(now they also added Bmesh API that can bool to n-gons)

In blender i`m using BoolTool for the booleans.
BoolTools uses either the "Carve Library" or the "Bmesh API" (In the BoolTools menu it is an option called the "resolver")

For your example:- In Nvil, add loop_cuts to isolate the cylinders so trianglation can be easily resolved

Example pics:-

• No avatar
  • Vertex
December 21, 2017, 01:19:06 pm
You need to place the edge_loops so they help Nvil resolve the triangulation.

That`s the problem, for a basic cube like in the example is very easy, but if you have a more complex shape like a rounded shape or a shape where you can not add all those loop cuts then the that will not be an option.

In any case is a good advice if i ever do a basic boolean operation in nvil.

My request however remains, booleans in blender, maya or modo are a joy to use, please update them in Nvil.

Thanks ;)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 01:21:40 pm by yolao »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
December 23, 2017, 01:06:17 pm
Try this
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Dec-23-17.rar

It should can handle more complex situations.

• No avatar
  • Vertex
December 23, 2017, 02:04:05 pm
Try this
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Dec-23-17.rar

It should can handle more complex situations.

Thanks IStonia. What kind of more complex situations it can handle?.., i try with the same example test of the box with the cylinders, with box unsubdivided and also subdivided and in both cases it freeze nvil.

EDIT:
The test with the box subdivided at the end did work, but it took nearly seven minutes which is way to much compare to the two seconds in blender, besides i will not have the option, as i said before, of subdividing the mesh every time for more complex objects.
I`m sure you can find a more effective way. ;)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 04:15:11 pm by yolao »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
January 05, 2018, 09:11:17 am
Try this
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Jan-05-18.rar

It is much faster than before.

• No avatar
  • Vertex
January 12, 2018, 07:45:27 pm