News:

Topic: Left text alignment for Radial Menu list  (Read 10245 times)

• No avatar
  • Polygon
August 13, 2017, 02:56:50 pm
IStonia, will you consider left-aligning the text located on Radial Menu lists? It is difficult for a human eye to scan a jagged line when looking for a particular text entry.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
August 14, 2017, 02:41:30 pm
Done.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
August 14, 2017, 04:22:32 pm
Thank you! It is so much easier on the eyes. :)

• No avatar
  • Polygon
September 12, 2017, 08:47:07 am
.........left-aligning the text located on Radial Menu lists?

So that change is your fault. ::)

It would not be too bad if not for the poorly cut of(rounded) corners of the text boxes. Who`s fault is that? Can that be changed back to the more, IMO, professional looking original?

Pic01 original
Pic02 current with cut off corners

• No avatar
  • Polygon
September 12, 2017, 09:36:38 am
Yeah, left alignment is mea culpa, but I had nothing to do with round corners of radial menu items. :)

IStonia, a little bit of side margins would definitely increase the clarity of the list (see: Maya's Marking Menus).
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 09:39:36 am by rubberDuck »

• No avatar
  • Polygon
September 12, 2017, 09:55:58 am
Yeah, left alignment is mea culpa, but I had nothing to do with round corners of radial menu items. :)

Although the inconsistancy of the left-aligned text of the radial menu with the center-aligned visual tools menu (I suppose a bit of OCD kicking in) is OK, the main issue I have is with the cut off corners.
If you have customized the radial menu, then it is possibly not an issue, and if was, then more customization could be made. But from a default config, it looks bad and gets worst when moving down the menu`s:-

Default "common tools" Radial menu:-

• No avatar
  • Polygon
September 12, 2017, 11:17:17 am
I work fullscreen, so I don't use any visual tools apart of a couple of customized popups. Radial tools and those popups are never visible at the same time, so I can't even tell if the difference in their text alignment would bother me. ::)

I solved the problem with long tool names in radial menus by renaming the tools to shorter versions. I couldn't stand those "two-liners". I agree that they don't look pretty.

Rectangular shape of radial menu items is a preferred look for me too.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
September 12, 2017, 10:02:21 pm
I was trying to create a drop_down menu (similar to silo/wings) from the radial menu, but the issue now is with the left_alignment of the text. I see from your last pic (of your radial menu) you have seen the issue yorself (see attached pic).

I will try with hot-(user)-windows.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
September 13, 2017, 12:25:04 am
Yup, I noticed this. :)

I made a mockup of how the radial menu could look like.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
September 13, 2017, 12:41:59 am
Apart from the gaps(the horizontal gaps between the lower menu items), looks good.

I was making a menu system from user tool windows, but have now hit a bug in the test builds. :(

• Polygon
September 13, 2017, 07:40:28 am

I made a mockup of how the radial menu could look like.

I really like it, I wouldn't complain if Istonia was able to change it so it looks like that.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
September 17, 2017, 11:58:35 am
IStonia, thanks for revamping the radial menu. :)

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
September 18, 2017, 09:49:58 am
So you are happy with it?

• Polygon
September 18, 2017, 10:38:11 am
I really like the square edges.

What would be good is if you customise the name on each radial menu.

For example:
"Show unselected object in as transparent" is too long winded for a radial menu so it would be good to be able to change it to "Transparent Unselected"

and also be able to change the font style and size.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
September 18, 2017, 10:42:51 am
It is certainly improved(returned to its original).

I question the need for the gap/underscore between the text entries in the lower menu. I would prefer that to be removed, or possibly an option to change the color of the gap so it can be hidden(blended with menu).

As example:-

Pic01 shows bottom part of Nvil radial menu, with gaps between menu items.
Pic02 shows one of the gaps is now a white line underscore showing last selection.

I was trying to get(as close as possible) to a menu similar to Silo (pic03).
(I will have to go with user tools window, and have user button with text_image to flatten buttons)