News:

Topic: Another Pivot Question  (Read 8544 times)

• Polygon
May 07, 2015, 09:30:47 am
Guys I've got this solved. Thanks for your patience.

Once you've set your manipulator in suboject mode. Just hit F2 (which is all manual modes) and then it will stay in the same position when you move to object mode.

I also learnt a whole much of new tools such as transfrom list also which will come in useful.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
May 07, 2015, 09:34:06 am
Hi Kevjon,

Steve, F1 is Streamline Engine Tools>>Object/Mesh Pivot
Ah, right, that is what is causing issue. You should not need to move the "Object/mesh Pivot" unless you need, for example, to make Pivot alignment for "Mirror"

I did a tool search for "Set Manipulator" in All groups and could find no such tool.
You will find it in "Edit > Customize > Streamline Tools" > Built-in tools"

I would like to align my pivot in subobject mode with selections for position/orientation. Then switch over to object mode and have it stay in the same spot. I don't want to align it manually in subobject mode.

You do not want to move/set the "Pivot", you need to "Set Manipulator"

Go to "Edit > Customize > Streamline Tools" > Built-in tools" > "Set Manipulator" and give it an hotkey.
Once set, press(hold down) the hotkey for "Set manipulator" and "LMB" on snap point to set manipulator position (or you can MMB to just set orientation to snap point, or RMB to set both position and orientation to snap point), then release hotkey.
That manual position will now be stored(because you have option "Remember Manipulator Manual pose" set)
Which ever "State" the manipulator now changes to (object/selection etc), when you change the manipulator state back to "manual" the manipulator will move back to that stored manual position.

I hope my explanation is understandable.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 11:30:18 am by steve »

• Polygon
May 07, 2015, 09:53:43 am
Steve, I've learnt a lot from you posts (and Andrei) which will stand me in good stead.

I'm all sorted now. I just need to align the pivot how I want in subobject mode whether it be by selection, manual or any other method.

Then run Streamline Engine Tools >> Manual Pivot and the manipulator will stay where it was in subobject mode when moving to object mode. This tool is already set up in Andrei's interface. It is the M in the Set Pivot section. Pressing F2 doesn't work.

If this proves flawed down the track, I'll look into Setting up a custom button that operates "Set Manipulator" but from what you describing it looks like the manual way of setting the manipulator which is not what I want.

• Administrator
  • Polygon
    • http://samardac.com/
May 07, 2015, 09:59:08 am
F2 does not work?
Portfolio: www.samardac.com

• Polygon
May 07, 2015, 10:04:11 am
F2 works, but not to hold the manipulator position/orientation when switching from subobject to object mode.

• Polygon
May 07, 2015, 10:11:47 am
Looks like I spoke to soon. When trying to transform using the manipulator in object mode it jumps back to some other position. Looking into Steves solution.

You do not want to move/set the "Pivot", you need to "Set Manipulator"

Go to "Edit > Customize > Streamline Tools" > Built-in tools" > "Set Manipulator" and give it an hotkey.
Once set, press(hold down) the hotkey for "Set manipulator" and "LMB" on snap point to set manipulator position (or you can MMB to just set orientation to snap point, or RMB to set both position and orientation to snap point), then release hotkey.
That manual position will now be stored(because you have option "Remember Manipulator Manual pose" set)
Which ever "State" the manipulator now changes to (object/selection etc), when you change the manipulator state back to "manual" the manipulator will move back to that stored manual position.

I hope my explanation is understandable.

Unfortunately I can't find that. It is possible that Andrei has customized this area and now it is not there. I can't find it in tool search either.

I think I'll have to go to plan B which is align my workplane to the selection and then align the pivot to centre of the workplane. Its a little more convaluted than I'd like but it works.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 10:19:50 am by kevjon »

• Administrator
  • Polygon
May 07, 2015, 10:14:52 am
kevjon, why you need all this? It is too complicated, there are many simple ways to avoid all that troubles with Subobject to Object. Try to find simple solutions instead of complicated.
Personaly I work a lot with NVil and never even thought about this problem. I have no need because I use very simple pivot management and if something is complicated I try to not have deal with this.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 10:17:40 am by samardac »

• No avatar
  • Polygon
May 07, 2015, 10:18:55 am
Then run Streamline Engine Tools >> Manual Pivot

There is no such thing as "Manual Pivot"

"Pivot" and "manipulator" are not the same.

Just use "Set manipulator" when dealing with manipulator, it will save confusion.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
May 07, 2015, 10:24:41 am
Unfortunately I can't find that. It is possible that Andrei has customized this area and now it is not there. I can't find it in tool search either.

One of the problems with using 3rd party config.

Which config are you currently using? I will have a look at the setup.

• Administrator
  • Polygon
May 07, 2015, 10:29:56 am
kevjon, these are 2 simplest way to make what you want:
https://monosnap.com/file/HXqViPgJWwko10ZHvxNQ0QKcjaYDMI

• Polygon
May 07, 2015, 10:45:36 am
kevjon, why you need all this?

To align my manipulator position/orientation in a precise way that is not possible in object mode. My work is mainly aircraft or hard surface vehicles, so I generally work in a precise way using blueprints and measurements. If I was doing concept art or character work, then I agree you with you, there would be no need for this request.

@ Steve
Yep, your quite correct. I keep confusing the two in my text which is no doubt confusing you guys.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
May 07, 2015, 10:47:07 am
Hi Kevjon,

I have just looked at one of the configs, "Set Manipulator" as been changed/re-named" to "Manual Pivot"

That adds to confusion, as that tool does not set the "Pivot" it sets the "Manipulator"

• Polygon
May 07, 2015, 10:48:40 am

One of the problems with using 3rd party config.

Which config are you currently using? I will have a look at the setup.

Samardac config 2.5 http://nvil.info/
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 10:56:27 am by kevjon »

• Polygon
May 07, 2015, 10:51:45 am
kevjon, these are 2 simplest way to make what you want:
https://monosnap.com/file/HXqViPgJWwko10ZHvxNQ0QKcjaYDMI

Andrei, thanks, I like the first option. But doesn't work for me the manipulator ends up at the scene origin rather than aligned to the face selection. I assume this is because I've mucked around with the pivot and manipulator so much that I get a different result. This would also happen on a real project rather than just a scene with one cylinder.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 10:57:15 am by kevjon »

• Polygon
May 07, 2015, 11:00:54 am
Hi Kevjon,

I have just looked at one of the configs, "Set Manipulator" as been changed/re-named" to "Manual Pivot"

That adds to confusion, as that tool does not set the "Pivot" it sets the "Manipulator"

Ok, if you have any suggestions how it can be resolved, I will adjust my interface accordingly.

In the meantime, aligning the workplane to the subobject selection and setting the manipulator orientation/position to world is working well for me.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 11:27:36 am by kevjon »