News:

Topic: Another Pivot Question  (Read 8542 times)

• Polygon
May 06, 2015, 11:52:10 am
I'm finding this really frustrating in Nvil.

I align the manipulator/pivot to position/orientation of a polygon selection.
When switch to object mode pivot jumps to where it was previously aligned in object mode.

Is there a way to keep the pivot position and orientation when switching from subobject mode to object mode ?

• Administrator
  • Polygon
    • http://samardac.com/
May 06, 2015, 12:00:24 pm
Object Pivot is different from Sub-Object Pivot.
So you have to set them independently.
Portfolio: www.samardac.com

• Polygon
May 06, 2015, 12:09:51 pm
Ok, how do I set object pivot to match the subobject selection shown. (ie the cap of cylinder)

• Administrator
  • Polygon
May 06, 2015, 12:14:04 pm
Press F1 and set it  :)

• Polygon
May 06, 2015, 12:25:47 pm
How do you centre it on the end cap using F1 ?

There are no snaps for the middle of a polygon ?

• Administrator
  • Polygon
May 06, 2015, 12:51:19 pm
I do not put snap to center of polygon in config, never used it.
You have to just poke this cap D+MMB, and then set.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
May 06, 2015, 02:01:52 pm
Hi Kevjon,

I align the manipulator/pivot to position/orientation of a polygon selection.
When switch to object mode pivot jumps to where it was previously aligned in object mode.
I could give a long drawn out explanation, but that may confuse more, but what is happening, is the manipulator is automatically switching between "Manual" and "Object"

Is there a way to keep the pivot position and orientation when switching from subobject mode to object mode ?

How I work with manipulator.

In ""Edit > Preference > Options", set "Remember Manipulator Manual Pose".
With that enabled, the "Manual" position/orientation of the manipulator will not be automatically updated/changed by Nvil. It will only change if you use the manipulator "Set", or move the manipulator while the manipulator is set to "Manual".

So for example, in the situation you mention.
You call "Set manipulator" while is sub_object mode, Nvil will automatically change manipulator orientation/position to "Manual", and you set manipulator to position/orientation. You make selections while in object mode and find manipulator now automatically set to "Object" and manipulator as moved. Simply change manipulator back to "Manual", and the manipulator will move back to its last manually set position.

Note:
You should also think about using the "Transform" list. You can store the position/orientation of the manipulator and recall them at any time.

• Polygon
May 07, 2015, 08:06:44 am

In ""Edit > Preference > Options", set "Remember Manipulator Manual Pose".

I've checked Andrei's interface and this was already checked before I posted. Its good to know what this does, so thanks for that.

With that enabled, the "Manual" position/orientation of the manipulator will not be automatically updated/changed by Nvil. It will only change if you use the manipulator "Set", or move the manipulator while the manipulator is set to "Manual".

Ok, understood.

So for example, in the situation you mention.
You call "Set manipulator" while is sub_object mode, Nvil will automatically change manipulator orientation/position to "Manual", and you set manipulator to position/orientation. You make selections while in object mode and find manipulator now automatically set to "Object" and manipulator as moved. Simply change manipulator back to "Manual", and the manipulator will move back to its last manually set position.

I select the ngon on top of the cylinder and set it to selection for both position & orientation (see first image of my original post). I now hit the set button on both position and orientation and it changes to manual. All good so far.

I now go to object mode and manipulator jumps to its own position/orientation. I change position & orientation to manual (without hitting the set button) and nothing happens. The manipulator does not jump to the position/orientation of the previous selection.

Note:
You should also think about using the "Transform" list. You can store the position/orientation of the manipulator and recall them at any time.

I figured out how to save the current transform easy enough and it leaves a little icon.
I then go to object mode but don't know how to get my object transform to align with the saved transform?

• Administrator
  • Polygon
May 07, 2015, 08:18:21 am
Hay kevjon,
Looks like you choose the hardest way, check the simplest:

http://take.ms/NQ80y

• Polygon
May 07, 2015, 08:33:19 am
Andrei

I appreciate you going to the trouble of putting a video together. I do not have a problem aligning the pivot to the centre of a cylinder cap. It is only an example I post on the forum to make it easy to convey the issue I am having with two different pivots in subobject/object modes.

In suboject mode it is very easy to select a polygon and align the pivot to the centre of it with selection and orientate the pivot along its normal. This also works really well for multiple edges and multiple vertices.

My problem is how do I keep the pivot in that position/orientation when I go to object mode ?

• Administrator
  • Polygon
May 07, 2015, 08:36:22 am
Use Manual Pivot for this. set it in subobject mode, then after, go to the object mode ant then switch to manual.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
May 07, 2015, 08:38:53 am
I select the ngon on top of the cylinder and set it to selection for both position & orientation (see first image of my original post). I now hit the set button on both position and orientation and it changes to manual. All good so far.

I now go to object mode and manipulator jumps to its own position/orientation. I change position & orientation to manual (without hitting the set button) and nothing happens. The manipulator does not jump to the position/orientation of the previous selection.

You just have the process a little mixed up. Maybe my explanation was confusing.

I presume the "F1" key is set for the streamline tool "Set manipulator"

So you press/hold "F1"(which calls "set manipulator") then LMB(or RMB) on snap point to set manipulator position/orientation. Anytime you now have the manipulator in "manual" it will move back to that set position, or it should do unless there is a problem with your config.

I figured out how to save the current transform easy enough and it leaves a little icon.
I then go to object mode but don't know how to get my object transform to align with the saved transform?
In the transform list window, select the entry you waant to align to. Press "F1"(for set manipulator"), then click on the "Perform Aligning" in the transform list window. The manipulator will align to the transform position. You then cancel the popup window.

The transform list is actually for moving objects/sub_objects to pre-set positions, but by using "Set manipulator" you can use those entries to set the manipulator.

• Polygon
May 07, 2015, 08:52:57 am
Use Manual Pivot for this. set it in subobject mode, then after, go to the object mode ant then switch to manual.

Andrei

When in suboject mode, I want to position the manipulater dead centre of a loop of vertices. I cannot do this manually (except guess) so it has to be positioned by selection. Orientation most times I want to be by selection also.

• Administrator
  • Polygon
May 07, 2015, 09:04:11 am
To position Manual Pivot to center, just Poke polygon.
Selection orientation worth practically only when you select one Polygon or other one subobject(you can easely reproduce it by setting Manual Pivot with RMB). So I practically never use Selection Orientation.

• Polygon
May 07, 2015, 09:10:02 am

You just have the process a little mixed up. Maybe my explanation was confusing.

I presume the "F1" key is set for the streamline tool "Set manipulator"

So you press/hold "F1"(which calls "set manipulator") then LMB(or RMB) on snap point to set manipulator position/orientation. Anytime you now have the manipulator in "manual" it will move back to that set position, or it should do unless there is a problem with your config.

Steve, F1 is Streamline Engine Tools>>Object/Mesh Pivot

I did a tool search for "Set Manipulator" in All groups and could find no such tool.

I would like to align my pivot in subobject mode with selections for position/orientation. Then switch over to object mode and have it stay in the same spot. I don't want to align it manually in subobject mode.