News:

Topic: Slide edge bug!  (Read 8638 times)

• No avatar
  • Polygon
April 05, 2013, 10:00:30 pm
IStonia, please take a look at the edge sliding tool. Apparently, in certain situations it goes bananas: http://youtu.be/swQ8gee_ZFQ

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
April 05, 2013, 10:09:57 pm
What slide tool did you use? I can't tell due to the resolution of the clip.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
April 05, 2013, 10:14:37 pm
StreamlineEngine Tools->Slide is what I used here.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
April 05, 2013, 10:16:34 pm
Hold on a sec.
That was what I had mapped to SHIFT+S in Tools.
In StreamLine editor I see that SHIFT+S is Subobject Tools->Slide Selection bound LMB Tool.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
April 05, 2013, 10:27:10 pm
If you put a single loop across the whole length of the shape, the problem goes away.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
April 05, 2013, 10:36:20 pm
I get similar result from time to time. It is mainly on surfaces. NVIL appears to get confused if the edge is not part of a loop.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
April 07, 2013, 09:18:49 am
Fixed.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
April 07, 2013, 12:57:40 pm
The problem appears to be fixed (on quick tests) on my setup.

Many Thanks.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
April 07, 2013, 11:19:20 pm
Hello.
I'm afraid the Slide tool, while improved a little, is not completely fixed as I can still break it. It's fairly easy to reproduce.
Create a flat plane, cut it in half then slide the new edge. If move your cursor along the polygon loop, it will work okay, but move it along the edge and it breaks the slide. That's the first problem.

To reproduce the second, make several extrusions of one of the border edges. Do it at an angle (cursor control mode works best) so the overall shape looks like a turning road. Then try to slide one of the new edges. What you'll notice is that, depending on the angle, one vertex of the slid edge will reach neighbouring edge faster than the other.

Of course there are rare times when Slide behaves as it should.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
April 07, 2013, 11:36:56 pm
Can you make a clip? I find it hard to understand with just words.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
April 08, 2013, 12:08:26 am
Of course. Here's the clip: http://youtu.be/xu99lsedXOs

• No avatar
  • Polygon
April 08, 2013, 12:42:08 am
Hi rubberDuck.

1. Which edge slide are you using?
If using "Slide selection" then that is intentional. The slide will follow the mouse movement, but due to there being no outer edges(on a loop) for direction, you will see strange results.

2. Looks like no proportional slide. Is the slide supposed to be proportional?

• No avatar
  • Polygon
April 08, 2013, 08:56:14 am
Steve: Okay, looks like indeed I was using Slide Selection. The hint states: "Drag to slide selected subobjects. Cursor initial move direction, and optionally highlighted vertex, will be used as slide direction hint". I thought the "cursor initial move direction" means I either slide it down or up the face. Never move-to-the-side-and-rotate, like it happens when I move the cursor along the edge. Why would I want to do this? So, I remapped my key to "Edge Tools->Edge_WholeLoop_Select/Slide" and at least I got rid of this weird behaviour, but the vertices still do not reach the neighbouring edges at the same time.
"Proportional" might be a good name for what I'm after, but basically I just need a "Slide Edges" tool that works like "Slide Edges" in other modelling packages.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
April 08, 2013, 11:20:18 am
I thought the "cursor initial move direction" means I either slide it down or up the face. Never move-to-the-side-and-rotate, like it happens when I move the cursor along the edge. Why would I want to do this?

NVIL is expecting other edges connected to the edge selection(an open/closed edge loop), which then controls direction, so the slide can be made along any edge direction.(See pic).

"Slide selection" is a sub_object tool, so if you where to be sliding a vertex/polygon, you would expect it to slide along all edge directions. The problem being, is that it appears NVIL does not take into account meshes as in your example. I think (IMHO) NVIL is based more on solids than surfaces.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
April 08, 2013, 03:09:54 pm
"Proportional" might be a good name for what I'm after, but basically I just need a "Slide Edges" tool that works like "Slide Edges" in other modelling packages.

I now remember reporting what I though was a bug with the "Slide". It appears it is the way NVIL works, as it uses an "Organic" slide. For some shapes you can use the [edit-> options]"Vertex Transform Along Edges", but that does not work on your example.
The slide is good for organic shapes, but not good for the results you are looking for.

With current implementation, I can only suggest adding an extra loop cut using "S"(Edge_Loop_Cut/Slide_Proportional), then remove the unwanted edge(loop). Or, put in a request for a Slide function that work like other applications.