News:

Topic: Slide edge bug!  (Read 8647 times)

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
April 08, 2013, 06:29:37 pm
I have implemented the proportional slide. One thing I am not sure is that should I make an option or just simply replace the current slide style?

• No avatar
  • Polygon
April 08, 2013, 06:53:24 pm
Hi IStonia,

I would not replace it, as it will be used.
If it is possible to add an option, or create a new "Basic streamline tool", that would be great.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
April 08, 2013, 07:08:08 pm
The 'Edge_Loop_Select/Slide' tool uses the same algorithm, so should I create new 'Edge_Loop_Select/Slide(Proportional)' tools too?

Edit: Also the same applies to 'Edge_Loop_Cut/Slide' tools. So I thing it's better to make it an option and also create an option toggle tool so you can toggle the option during the slide operation.

Edit: I think I can use the redirect hotkey(default: Caps Lock) as the toggle tool also there is no need to create an extra tool for option toggling. Or I can use Shift/Ctrl keys?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 07:30:58 pm by IStonia »

• No avatar
  • Polygon
April 08, 2013, 07:29:19 pm
The  'Edge_Loop_Select/Slide' tool is in 3 separate tools (WholeLoop/RangeLoop and Gaploop).

The tool I have been looking at is the "Sub_object tool" "Slide selection", when used on edges.

Does that make a difference?

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
April 08, 2013, 07:33:17 pm
The  'Edge_Loop_Select/Slide' tool is in 3 separate tools (WholeLoop/RangeLoop and Gaploop).

The tool I have been looking at is the "Sub_object tool" "Slide selection", when used on edges.

Does that make a difference?

They share the same sliding codes.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
April 08, 2013, 07:35:17 pm
Also the same applies to 'Edge_Loop_Cut/Slide' tools.

The 'Edge_Loop_Cut/Slide' already is "Proportional". There is also a tool "Edge_Loop_Cut/Slide_MaintainCurvature)

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
April 08, 2013, 07:44:13 pm
Also the same applies to 'Edge_Loop_Cut/Slide' tools.

The 'Edge_Loop_Cut/Slide' already is "Proportional". There is also a tool "Edge_Loop_Cut/Slide_MaintainCurvature)

It is two types of 'Proportional'. One for 'Sliding' and the other for 'Cutting'

• No avatar
  • Polygon
April 08, 2013, 08:01:59 pm
You never fail to confuse me.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
April 11, 2013, 11:25:41 am
Fixed.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
April 12, 2013, 06:52:35 pm
You're gonna kill me IStonia, but I still see some discrepancy between NVil's and mainstream implementation of edge slide.
NVil seems to slide the edge on curved rails while other programs use neighbouring edges for it. Normally, at the initial point of the slid edge there's a sudden change of direction instead of fluid one. Now, I'm not saying fluid slide is bad as it may come in handy, but a user should be able to slide it the common way too.

A short video comparing edge sliding in NVil and Blender. Blender slide edge represents how this tool works in programs like Silo, Maya, 3D Coat and probably other too.
http://youtu.be/bviIK7TzVYI

If it's controlled by some settings (or maybe I should be using a different tool), please pray tell which one. I'm still new to NVil, so I might have missed something.

The image: LEFT-NVIL, RIGHT-OTHER PROGRAMS

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
April 13, 2013, 12:27:58 pm
The new slide tool is added.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
April 14, 2013, 02:31:05 pm
Fantastic. I tried the linear slide and it works as expected. Thank you!