News:

Topic: Extrude vertices  (Read 7150 times)

• No avatar
  • Vertex
February 10, 2013, 05:28:06 pm
Hello,

I have a background image I want to outline just using vertices but I'm not sure how to go about doing it. In blender you just create a plane merge all vertices into one and start extruding a shape. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to emulate that same function in NVIL.

I used the "Creat/Inset" function and it worked for bit but it keeps crashing. Any insight would be appreciated.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
February 11, 2013, 12:32:00 am
I used the "Creat/Inset" function and it worked for bit but it keeps crashing.

Yes, it looks like the vertex create/insert is broken. But bugs do not normally remain long once reported.

For now, you could use the "Create Polygon" tool, which works in a similar way to the vertex create/insert. In polygon mode, press(hold down) "D"

• No avatar
  • Vertex
February 11, 2013, 01:03:46 am
Steve,

Thank you for the response. I will try the "create polygon" tool for now and watch for an update. Is there a way just to work with vertices (extrude) w/out having to create a polygon first?

« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 01:06:11 am by jcue »

• No avatar
  • Polygon
February 11, 2013, 01:43:08 am
Hi jcue,

Sorry, I do not know the workflow you mention (creating/extruding vertex without polygons).

You could use "object mode-> spline" to draw the outline, then deal with the spline later via extrude (you can set the spline to "Line list" if you prefer straight lines created by the spline)

• No avatar
  • Vertex
February 11, 2013, 03:41:21 am
I usually like outlining Letters and Logo's only using vertices. Once the outline is complete I then start filling it in with polygons.

Thanks for the help. 

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
February 11, 2013, 04:08:11 am
It should be ok in the new update now.

• No avatar
  • Vertex
February 11, 2013, 04:58:26 am
Everything is working great now.

Is there a way to convert a "Spline" into a mesh/geometry?

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
February 11, 2013, 05:14:24 am
There is basic streamline tool: Spline_Extrude. Hopefully it's what you want.

• No avatar
  • Vertex
February 11, 2013, 05:55:39 am
Thank you for the reply.

I found the "Spline_Extrude" tool but I think I maybe using it incorrectly. The problem is that the extrusion does not hold the splines shape. A specific example would be creating a roundish logo lets' say a pear. I outline the pear with the "spline tool" then I would like to convert that to a mesh (the curve outline converted to vertices around the pear) then all those vertices capped. The result would be one big n-gon. From there I can extrude that polygon for depth and I can bevel the edges...and create a logo fairly quickly. 

I have attached some pics.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
February 11, 2013, 06:04:28 am
There is no straight way at the moment.

1. Use the Spline_Extrud tool to create a tube like shape.
2. Cap the end hole and you get a big n-gon.
3. Select the big n-gon in polygon mode.
4. Geometry > Optimize or Divide NGon.

I will make a special tool for this.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 06:09:36 am by IStonia »

• No avatar
  • Vertex
February 11, 2013, 06:11:35 am
I think next time around I will just add many more points in the "spline" before extruding it. This way when extruding the resulting mesh should hold the original shape a bit more. Thank you for the help I really appreciate it.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
February 11, 2013, 06:36:14 am
Hi jcue,

The problem is that the extrusion does not hold the splines shape.
Unfortunately, the spline is only extruded from the spline vertex points, so does not maintain shape when the points are far apart.
You can work-around that.
After creating the spline, duplicate it and move it up away (planer) from the first. Deselect both splines. Go into edge selection mode, select "Retopo" move the cursor over one of the splines until you see the cursor change to a "+" then LMB, move the cursor to the 2nd spline, and again, when the cusor changes to "+", ->LMB, press "Ctrl" (keep pressed) and move the mouse wheel to increase/decrease the number of edges.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 06:47:40 am by steve »

• No avatar
  • Polygon
February 11, 2013, 06:54:28 am
Hi IStonia,
There is no straight way at the moment.

1. Use the Spline_Extrud tool to create a tube like shape.
2. Cap the end hole and you get a big n-gon.
3. Select the big n-gon in polygon mode.
4. Geometry > Optimize or Divide NGon.

I will make a special tool for this.

Making a tool for those specific steps will not (IMHO) be helpful, unless there are already enough control points on the spline to maintain shape.

• No avatar
  • Vertex
February 11, 2013, 06:56:43 am
Steve,

Nice...thank you.

This helps a lot. It's a bit of an effort but it gets the job done  ;D . Nvil has a lot of features and it's always a bit difficult to learn a new program.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
February 11, 2013, 06:59:29 am
steve, it won't be a problem. I will make it a streamline tool, once the tool activated and the polygon is created, WMB can be scrolled to ajust refinement.