News:

Topic: Wavefront *.Obj Format Importing.  (Read 7391 times)

• No avatar
  • Vertex
January 05, 2013, 08:49:37 pm
Hi.

I can't seem to find a way to import a sculpture that I am working on, it was made by Sculptris and saved in Wavefront's *.obj format.

I have looked through most of Nvil and can't seem to find a way to import it.  Does Nvil have the ability?  If yes, what would that be?  Do you need a addon or plugin and if so, where do you get it?

I was searching through the net for programs and I came across this program, it said it was a Retopo or Topology Program, and I thought you would have the ability to work with files from other CG Software.

The help file doesn't say anything about importing files.

I like this program, it would be a shame for it not to be able to do that, if it can't...I guess I will stick with Blender & Lightwave.

• Administrator
  • Polygon
January 05, 2013, 09:41:16 pm
ya nvil can save and open obj, files, just use file open scene or file merge scene.
in edit>options>file format options you can also tweak the import settings for obj and dae.

i move things between maya and nvil all the time with obj since, i olny use nvil for modeling individual objects, than use maya for laying out my scene, UV's and export to the game engine i work with.

• No avatar
  • Vertex
January 06, 2013, 01:25:26 am
Hi.

Sorry about the comment above if it was offending, I was just getting a little frustrated when I wrote that.  No matter what I did I couldn't figure it out.

I finally was able to get it to open up the scene.  Thanks.

I am noticing a slight performance problem, the *.obj that I have opened is a partial dragon that I am trying to make.  It has 403k Polygons and Faces and 202k Vertices.

What amount is average for most users of Nvil?

I only have an AMD 4 core 3.0 ghz processor, Nvidia GTX 460 v2 video card, and 8 gb of ram.  I think my bus speed is from 700 to 1k mhz.  Then I have two dvi-d monitors hooked up.  No Crossfire or SLI.

Is there a way to pick either CPU or GPU rendering?

• Administrator
  • Polygon
January 06, 2013, 07:15:32 pm
ya i get performance issues too and im on a pretty beefy computer, i7 3360k 32gb ram, and gtx670 and it slows down near the .5 million polygon mark for me too.