News:

Topic: Weld again  (Read 7863 times)

• Triangle
    • Reiner`s Tilesets
November 13, 2012, 10:46:50 am
I select two or three vertices, click at the weld button, click at weld. And nothing happens. I click at Weld to Nearest. And nothing happens. I click at Weld 2 loops. And nothing happens.

Okay, there is more than one Weld tool, i most probably have the wrong one. So let`s try the hotkey S for the streamline weld vertex tool. Nothing happens.

What`s the trick again to get weld to work, to weld two or three vertices together?

While at it,and just as a sidenote, how can i get the panel to appear in the Visual Tools again, and not floating? I guess a little button to dock it would be useful here.
Free Gamegraphics, Freeware Games http//www.reinerstilesets.de

• No avatar
  • Polygon
November 13, 2012, 11:39:18 am
Hi Tiles,

The visual tools "Weld" works either from a set "Threshold" or "Ignore Threshold".

For welding 3 or more vertex together, the easiest is to select the vertex, (the last vertex selected is the target), enable visual tools "Weld", in the options, enable "Ignore Threshold", then click "Weld".

• Triangle
    • Reiner`s Tilesets
November 13, 2012, 11:50:07 am
Ah, that was the bit that i have forgotten. To tick the Ignore Threshold checkbox. Thanks :)

And the Weld Vertex tool in the Smarttips was the story with clicking at the first vertex, then clicking at the second vertex. I have really a hard time to remember all this different methods. I guess i`m getting old :)

Hm, the tool in the Visual Tools should give you a result out of the box without the need to tweak or check a box. As it is now the tool looks like broken. You click a button and it does nothing. So may i suggest to tick the Ignore Threshold checkbox by default? So that new users have a working tool in the first place? Would make more sense in my opinion :)

• No avatar
  • Polygon
November 13, 2012, 12:03:10 pm
You should probably have a look at the "Weld General".
I mainly use that now from a custom user tool. It gives you a popup with options of "Collapse"(which would weld the 3 or more vertex together to last selected vertex), or "Weld to nearest" or "Weld 2 loops" which all automatically ignore threshold. There is also the option to open the (visual tools)weld tool, in case you do need to set a threshold limit.

• Triangle
    • Reiner`s Tilesets
November 13, 2012, 12:32:11 pm
Thanks Steve :)

I`m still in the middle of building the User Toolbars by icons. And while that i go through the available buttons tool by tool. While that journey i stumbled across my weld issues again. I will surely have a look at the weld general tool too at this journey.

What do you think about the idea that the workflow for the Visual Tools weld tools could be improved by ticking the Ignore Threshold checkbox by default? As told, that way the user has a working tool from scratch, and doesn`t need to riddle why the tool doesn`t work and what to do to get it to work.