News:

Topic: VW - requirements  (Read 17957 times)

• No avatar
  • Edge
    • my blog - sculpting
November 10, 2011, 12:53:36 pm
I tried to install VW on new PC at work, and it won't run.
It just pops error - vw stopped working.
No indication what is missing. I use win 7.
I would like  vw to have included requirements for it to run in help file, or somewhere.
like .net 2 or something.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
November 10, 2011, 08:53:17 pm
There could be some dlls missing. Try to search mameg's posts in polycount forum. He encountered similar problem and solved it by downloading some dlls from the internet.

msvcr71.dll may be missing.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326922/en-us
http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/fix-msvcp71-dll-and-msvcr71-dll-missing-error-in-windows-7/

• No avatar
  • Edge
    • my blog - sculpting
November 10, 2011, 09:12:22 pm
Thx. I was looking, on polycount forums, but I didn't found mameg's post then. I will try search on Monday at work.

It would be cool to include installation problem solving in vw help. And dependencies.

Hopefully I will manage to convince coworkers to use vw (and then buy it), cos they are using XSI and it lacks fluidity of VW.
But then, xsi has one awesome trick I learned (I'm new to XSI):
- it is something  like manual pivot in vw, but you set it's position just by alt clicking on point (it snaps to vertex, or grid depending on snap settings). This alt+click for setting manual pivot, is way faster than vw  - click 'manual' pivot, then 'set', then move pivot, then toogle off 'set', and finally move/rotate.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
November 11, 2011, 12:23:14 am
I found it:
http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1394815#post1394815

I can't make a dependency list, bacause I don't know what they are. I can only say .net1.1 and .net2.0 are needed.

Do you use the visual pivot tool or the streamline pivot tools? The streamline pivot tools are suggested by ghib base on xsi. I think they should be as efficient as the one in xsi.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 12:24:53 am by IStonia »

• No avatar
  • Edge
    • my blog - sculpting
November 11, 2011, 04:09:36 pm
I added hotkey for stream line pivot tool, and works like XSI indeed. Thanks. I will let u know if that dll solved problem at Monday (but there was no message pop up that msvcp71 is missing - I was just that VW stopped working)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 04:11:09 pm by JoseConseco »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
November 11, 2011, 08:41:31 pm
The streamline Set Manipulator tool could be usefull too. It lets you set the manipulator to a temporary position and use it. The manipulator' constraint state will be set to manual for both position and orientation. Once you have done with it, a deselect action will restore the manipulator to its previous state. The advantage of this tool is that you don't have to change object's pivot position.

• Administrator
  • Polygon
November 11, 2011, 08:46:07 pm
wow didnt know there was a streamline for the temp manipulator position, thought it was just for the pivot.
guess i got to redo my binds and find a good spot for that one.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 09:13:13 pm by Passerby »

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • Portfolio
November 13, 2011, 02:28:53 pm
Thought I'd chip in with info on the Set Manipulator theme.  This tool originally came from a suggestion I made for a Visual Align tool; seen here http://dev.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1373834&postcount=1005

It came from my direct experience with using xsi for 4 years and loving the temporary pivot tool.

Voidworld actually extends usefulness of placing the pivot with also being able to align the axes to geometry, subobjects, gridpoints etc.

I have Set Manipulator & Rotation Snap tools on hotkeys \ & z.  They make the perfect pair for aligning geo and objects accurately.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 02:34:42 pm by ghib »
Senior 3D Artist

• No avatar
  • Edge
    • my blog - sculpting
November 14, 2011, 09:02:59 am
Ok guys, msvcr71.dll  worked

• No avatar
  • Vertex
February 27, 2012, 07:25:19 pm
There could be some dlls missing. Try to search mameg's posts in polycount forum. He encountered similar problem and solved it by downloading some dlls from the internet.

msvcr71.dll may be missing.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326922/en-us
http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/fix-msvcp71-dll-and-msvcr71-dll-missing-error-in-windows-7/

I was able to just download and copy the .dll's above to the VoidWorld folder (instead of SysWOW64) and it works - so a truly standalone (as in going on my thumbdrive) install. Thanks.

Note: This did fix the problem but, this should really be fixed. The fact that I had to download .dll's from a 3rd party site makes me very uneasy - and it should you as well.

Not to mention, this is going to keep a lot of potential customers from successfully trying the product because, they'll just think it's broken or incompatible and that would be a real shame!  :'(
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 08:00:46 pm by cyborge »

• No avatar
  • Polygon
September 02, 2012, 02:44:04 pm
I am curious as to why msvcr71.dll is not redistributed with the application. MS allow that, and I see it done with some other applications I use.

One of the problems I see, is that if someone downloads, attempts to run and the program simply crashes, then they may probably just remove the application and not start searching around for needed dll.

• Triangle
    • Reiner`s Tilesets
September 02, 2012, 05:08:19 pm
I´ve seen this happen a few times now. I tell them about NVil, they try, it crashes, and that was it.
Free Gamegraphics, Freeware Games http//www.reinerstilesets.de

• Administrator
  • Polygon
September 02, 2012, 11:25:08 pm
well a major problem right now is there is no installer, the whole process of getting the application, installing it and keeping it up to date really needs to get some polish, with a proper installer that checks for dependencies of the app and installs them if needed, and some kinda updater.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
September 02, 2012, 11:39:02 pm
I am curious as to why msvcr71.dll is not redistributed with the application. MS allow that, and I see it done with some other applications I use.

Are you sure of this? Also there is a version issue.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
September 02, 2012, 11:41:18 pm
well a major problem right now is there is no installer, the whole process of getting the application, installing it and keeping it up to date really needs to get some polish, with a proper installer that checks for dependencies of the app and installs them if needed, and some kinda updater.

If I make it in installer style, it would make people to use the new version cumbersome.