News:

Topic: Streamline Spin Tool  (Read 3940 times)

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • White-creatures
May 05, 2020, 06:37:19 am
Hi IStonia,

I wish there is a spin edge tool that I can use while in Draw Mesh. Currently, to spin an edge in draw mesh, I would first delete it (ctrl+shift) then use the cut tool to create a new edge, it would be great if I can just press a hotkey and click on the edge to spin it.

I am thinking of assigning that spin tool to the Assigned_Tools, but there is not a streamline spin edge tool available.

I am also spinning edges outside of Draw Mesh, while I am using the Edge Shortcut Tools -> Spin Edge CCW/CW, it would be great if it works in all subobject mode, like the cut tool. It would save some time by not having to switch modes and even best if I don't have to select the edge but just hover over it and click to spin the edge.

Thanks!

[Edit]
actually, hover over it and press the hotkey to spin the edge, and reduce the click  ;D
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 08:48:47 am by miica »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
May 05, 2020, 12:16:39 pm
Try this
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-May-06-20.rar

* The spin tool can be fired as long as an edge is highlighted.
* You can assign the spin tool to a hotkey so you don't have to click.
* You can assign the spin tool to one of a streamline tool's event command tools.
* In Draw Mesh tool, if the Cut tool is activated, LMB+RMB click to spin the highlighted edge.

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • White-creatures
May 05, 2020, 08:54:34 pm
Thanks IStonia! that was really fast, appreciate it!

I tried out the draw mesh version, works great!

For the normal streamline version, I can't get it to work.. this is how I set it up:

but nothing happens when I try to use it (enter edge mode and activate it with my hotkey, hover over an edge and click)

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
May 05, 2020, 11:51:04 pm
You did it wrong. You need to assign the tool in the "Event Actions", not in the "Mouse Function".
"Edge_ClosedLoop Spin/Rotate" tools only work on closed edge loops and the spin/rotate behavior is not the one you expect here.

Put this tool, Spin Edge CCW/CW, into one of these event actions.
-On LMB Down
-On Activated
-On Tapped

Or instead of using a streamline tool, you can just assign a hotkey to "Spin Edge CCW/CW" through, Edit > Customize > Tools. But by using a streamline tool, you can put a bunch of command tools into one single hotkey so you can do more than just spinning edges. It's your choice.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 11:59:24 pm by IStonia »

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • White-creatures
May 06, 2020, 05:15:15 am
Got it, I am actually expecting some new tool.. Spin Edge CCW/CW is what I am using already so I am looking for it to works in vertex mode too if possible, I was thinking of a *Power* Spin tool that will activiate in all 3 subobject modes, so we don't have to switch modes to use it, (and in addition, if a face is highlighted, it will trianglulate the face). Useful when working on lowpoly mesh. If that's possible, it will be really cool :)

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
May 06, 2020, 08:12:52 am
Try this
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-May-07-20.rar

-When fire the Spin command, if highlighted polygon exists, the highlighted polygon will be triangulated.

-To be able to highlight edge/polygon in vertex mode, turn on this option, Edit > Options > Multi-Selection, and turn off this option, Edit > Preference > Options 2 > Selection > Multi-Selection disabled on object mode changed.

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • White-creatures
May 07, 2020, 09:24:35 am
Thanks IStonia!

I have been testing on the spin and the multi-selection workflow, I should say I should have learned to use Multi-Selection ages ago! It felt like game changer for me because now I don't have to switch mode that often and I am learning to use streamline tool on highlighted (instead of selected) subobject, that means less clicking for me. Love what I discovered so far!

While working, I realized I am using the pen tablet so I can't use the Draw Mesh's Cut tool to spin edge, it's easy with mouse but tricky to do this with a pen, so I don't use it that much, but I use what you suggest by mapping the Spin tool to Assigned_Tools -On MMB Down. My setup looks like so:

All works pretty good so far!

except for a little thing, I find that when I activate Assigned_Tools, it doesn't let me highlight polygon, only vertex and edge, so I can't triangulate. I am not sure if there's any reason behind it, if there's is then it's really ok, I can easily use Mesh_Cut to create the triangle and it's not something I perform too much (so far at least).

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
May 07, 2020, 09:47:41 am
You can use this trick.

Assign this tool to "X2 Tool" slot, Tweak_Move. It will allow you to highlight polygons because this tool tells the program to search for under cursor polygon. You don't have X2 button in your tablet pen I guess so you actually won't be able to activate this tool anyway.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
May 07, 2020, 10:52:22 am
Try this
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-May-08-20.rar

Instead of LMB+RMB, you can press down LMB on the highlighted edge/polygon then tap Space key.

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • White-creatures
May 07, 2020, 11:21:36 am
That trick blew my mind, it works! Thanks IStonia :D

Instead of LMB+RMB, you can press down LMB on the highlighted edge/polygon then tap Space key.

I tried it but it's a bit hard to perform (also 3 steps), I think the LMB+RMB is easier comparing the two, because the first two step is the same for both (press hotkey, click on edge) and for the third step, I find it more intuitive to use my left thumb that's already in position of the middle click button of the pen, than having my right thumb reaching for the space bar. I would choose the Assigned_Tools anytime though (2 steps, and no need to click).

Actually, even better, I found out I can use middle click during Mesh_Tweak to spin the edge~! that's even better (1 step, I stay in Mesh_Tweak 90% of the time)!!! I am not sure if this is newly added but I think I will use this one and save the Assigned_Tools mmb slot for other tool.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
May 07, 2020, 11:37:33 am
Actually, even better, I found out I can use middle click during Mesh_Tweak to spin the edge~! that's even better (1 step, I stay in Mesh_Tweak 90% of the time)!!! I am not sure if this is newly added but I think I will use this one and save the Assigned_Tools mmb slot for other tool.

What tool is that? Do you mean the Caps-Lock+MMB tool, Edge_ClosedLoop_Rotate, of Mesh_Tweak? Or something else?

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • White-creatures
May 07, 2020, 11:54:11 am
What tool is that? Do you mean the Caps-Lock+MMB tool, Edge_ClosedLoop_Rotate, of Mesh_Tweak? Or something else?
I just middle click while hovering over an edge in Mesh_Tweak mode, not pressing any key.

Strange, I switched to the default config and it doesn't work anymore but it works on my config.. I really have no idea but I really hope it stays that way.

I uploaded my config here if you want to take a look
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zr7bk4xqb98zrn8/miica%20Nvil%20Config%202020-0507b.7z?dl=0

On finding about the ability of Mesh_Tweak to utilize it's middle click to spin edge, it brings me to think about the possibility of right click, I think let's make it to delete subobjects instead of rotating subobject! (That might be a selfish request because personally I don't rotate subobject, and also perhaps it doesn't align with what the name of the tool implies, I am not sure but I really like this idea)

« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 11:56:10 am by miica »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • White-creatures
May 08, 2020, 02:13:01 am
Hi IStonia, in the new version, when pressing Ctrl+Shift in Mesh_Tweak, I can't delete polygon and vertex anymore, only edges are highlighted

I understand other users would use Mesh_Tweak MMB and RMB to rotate and scale, how about.. maybe we can make Mesh_Tweak able to assign our own streamline tool to MMB and RMB just like the Assigned_Tools?

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
May 08, 2020, 02:55:34 am
Hi IStonia, in the new version, when pressing Ctrl+Shift in Mesh_Tweak, I can't delete polygon and vertex anymore, only edges are highlighted

Are you sure? It works fine on me.

I understand other users would use Mesh_Tweak MMB and RMB to rotate and scale, how about.. maybe we can make Mesh_Tweak able to assign our own streamline tool to MMB and RMB just like the Assigned_Tools?

The Scale/Rotate functions are not requested by anyone. I would leave it as is for now until any complaints comes up.