News:

Topic: Display the amount of triangles in subobject mode  (Read 2109 times)

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • White-creatures
April 26, 2020, 10:02:41 pm
Hi IStonia,

I think it will be great if the Heads Up Display can show the numbers of triangles when we enter subobject mode.

I was working on some lopoly models and the poly budget for many of the hair object is limited to 1500 (triangles), so it will be helpful to have that information displayed somewhere when I am creating new polys (so I don't accidentally created too much polys unaware) and when reducing polys (so I can see how much I have reduced and how much further I need to reduce to hit the budget limit)

« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 09:51:00 am by miica »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • White-creatures
April 27, 2020, 09:50:25 am
Thank you IStonia! Really appreciate your quick response.

That really helps when I doing retopo on a limited budget, being able to see Polys and Faces is also a plus because I immediately find out there's a quad somewhere in the mesh  ;)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 11:46:49 am by miica »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
April 28, 2020, 09:28:59 am
Try this
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Apr-28-20.rar

I made a little change to the display.

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • White-creatures
April 28, 2020, 11:49:25 am
Hi IStonia,

Thanks! I was complaining about the numbers hard to read in my previous post but I edited out because I thought maybe I should see if I will get used to it first.. and so far so good. Thanks for taking the time to create a new visual style, I chuckle a bit at first when I see what you did (sorry..) but I guess that made it easier to distinguish, but.. that creates another problem, which is the visual clutter, I am confused by the [, <, - and * symbols at first but quickly understand what they stands for. It works too but it sure look a bit odd though from my point of view.

If it's possible, I would suggest the fields can be color coded like in the second picture I made below. I just choose some random color, but if there's option to color the `Faces` field, I would give it a stronger color for my personal need.

If it's not possible, I would suggest removing the brackets (to remove the visual clutter) and only use bracket for selected subobjects (personally I prefer-> *), and preferably to have a bit of space between the bracket and number (like in the second picture below, I think that'll make it easier to read).

« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 11:53:26 am by miica »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • White-creatures
April 29, 2020, 06:28:40 am
Thanks IStonia! I think that will do, I hope my suggestion was ok to other users, otherwise I hope they can share some feedback too. This change is helping me quite a bunch already as I don't have to constantly switch to object mode just to check how many triangles in the mesh and switch back to subobject mode to continue working.