News:

Topic: Import Stremline Tools ro marge configs  (Read 4825 times)

• No avatar
  • Edge
September 15, 2018, 10:51:10 am
I'm using Nvil on a few computers, creating streamline and composite tools when I need them. Now I would like to  marge all the configs into one with all the tools I created to the date. However I can't see the way to export and import the streamline tools other then editing xml file. Is there a other, easier way to do that?

• No avatar
  • Polygon
September 15, 2018, 07:02:53 pm
I strongly recommend using a version control system like Git (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Git) for this kind of stuff and store your configuration online on GitLab, GitHub or similar repository sites. This way you not only would be able to clone your repository containing configuration files to any of your computers (and as a result keep it up to date), but also take advantage of Git's branching to experiment with the config and easily roll back if things break.

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • White-creatures
September 16, 2018, 03:52:34 am
If I understand correctly, you have two different configs that you want to merge into one. I am not aware of any tools to do that within Nvil. Also, editing xml directly can be a bit complicated and might be dangerous (could corrupt the config I guess?), so personally to be safe I would just recreate the streamline and composite tools manually.

If you want to edit the xml, maybe softwares like WinMerge can help, it can display differences between two files and have tools to help the merging.

All that said, it will be cool if Nvil has the ability to export streamline and composite tools, similarly to exporting brushes in Photoshop or Zbrush. Not only will it help as a backup tool, but it will also make it easy to share them with the community.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
September 26, 2018, 10:45:44 am
You can assign your created tools to user buttons. In the user tool window context menu, there are these command tools, Export Window/Group/Button, Import Into Window/Group. So you can transfer the buttons and the associated tools between different configs.