News:

Topic: Retopo Draw Mesh Question(s)  (Read 1904 times)

• No avatar
  • Vertex
January 31, 2018, 08:01:53 am
hi there,

I was planning to test/use NVIL as my go-to retopo application (mainly for this task).

I managed to find the switch for "retopo mode", but I can not get "draw Mesh" tool to work.

Can somebody explain, how to get this working, please?
And can you give advice/tutorial, how to Setup Things like in this Video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44ndpC8lMO0&list=PLNPeRk-wjBGiod2fk0YSaYCK0Oh6JpMQj

I like UI and Tools to work in this way, if possible?!

Kind Regards,

Elo

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
January 31, 2018, 08:36:04 am
You need to set your retopo reference object first.

1. Open the "Scene Explorer" window. View > Windows > Scene Explorer Window.
2. Open the "Hierarchy" tab. In the hierarchy window, click the object node to select it and deselect others if any. Then Right click that node to bring up the context menu. Choose this one, Add To Retopo Reference List.
3. Open the "Retopo Reference List" tab. You should see your reference object in the reference tree view. Check the "Retopo mode enabled" check box.
4. Deselect your reference object in viewport. Selected object can not be used as retopo reference object.

Now you can use the "Draw Mesh" tool to do retopo thing.

NOTE: If you are not doing retopo job, turn off "Retopo mode enabled" option. Otherwise you will have unexpected render issues.

• No avatar
  • Vertex
January 31, 2018, 08:47:15 am
wow, thank you for quick reply !

afair, LMB brings up Pie menu or am I wrong? sorry, I am not at my desktop right now, so can not test / verify

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
January 31, 2018, 08:53:59 am
I don't know what you are talking about. Can you provide screen shot?

• No avatar
  • Polygon
January 31, 2018, 03:37:39 pm
Hello Elowan,
Once you have added your high-poly objects to retopo reference list, it is also a good idea to freeze them. You can do it by selecting them in the scene hierarchy, then right-click and choose "Freeze/Unfreeze" from the context menu.
Freezing reference objects will do two things:
1. Prevent you from accidentally selecting them in the viewport.
2. Boost viewport performance.

Regarding UI: I built it from scratch, by removing all tool shortcuts, radial menus and windows. Then I began creating new UI, adding new shortcuts, streamline tools, etc. as I was working on some models.
I believe it's the simplest and fastest way to tailor NVil to your workflow.

• No avatar
  • Vertex
February 01, 2018, 07:06:42 am
Yeah, this sounds good! (the way you build you gui/tools) I wish, I would know how to do stuff like this ;) Is there some (extensive/in depth) tutorial, regarding the GUI stuff? Would also be sweet, to get hands on the config, you´re using in the video. I am thinking of having like 2-3 config-files, each cut down to a specific task/tool-set. this would be very efficient