News:

Topic: Moving Mirrored Instances  (Read 1817 times)

• Spline
    • www.weisheim.com
October 20, 2017, 07:22:02 pm
Hi,

i have a question about Object shortcut Tools>> Create mirror Instance.

That's really nice tool, i use it a lot for example for robot blockouts.

There is one big advantage by using mirrored instances, instead of mirrored object(maybe i'm wrong)
If i use "mirror instance" workflow i keep the Orientation(Object) on the parent mesh, and it's much more comfortable to move vertexes, edges after i created object.
If i mirror objects mesh loses the first orientation of the object, and then i have to switch to other pivot modes but they working for example not for vertexes anymore.

The only problem now is, if i'm in object mode and move "parent mesh", the instance on the other side stay in its old position.I have to switch to polygon mode, select whole mesh and then move so instance behaves the same on the other side.

The question is: Is it possible to turn the mirrored moving for instance also in object mode? And not only in poly,edge,vertex mode? I know for normal using instance it does not make scence but in this special case it would be really great.

To the picture: cylinder with black wire is parent object, with orange instance object.

Thank you in advance

« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 07:53:32 pm by Woolfy »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
October 22, 2017, 08:18:04 am
Try this
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Oct-22-17.rar

* Object mode > Geometry > Update Mirror Instance. Update the mirror instance's position and orientation of the selected object.

Can you check if these options are useful for tablet?

* Edit > Customize > Tools > Modeling Tools > StreamLine Tool WMB Scroll Simulator. This is a flag tool. It is used in conjunction with streamline tools. If its hotkeys are all pressed down after the operation started, The cursor movement will be converted to WMB scroll to apply to the tool. It is useful when WMB scrolling is difficult or WMB is absent. Default: Alt key.
  * View > Display > HUD Display > Show Activated Tool Cue Info. Display short contextual operation prompt for activated tool.
  * Edit > Preference > Options 1 > Viewport Navigation > Use Key+NMB for pan view. This makes it possible to pan view without depressing mouse button.

• Spline
    • www.weisheim.com
October 22, 2017, 05:52:11 pm
Thanks a lot Istonia! It helps really good.

I added "Update Mirror Instance" to "OnExit" slot in my "Tweak" streamline tool. Thats works very good,if i move object it move instance after this step automatically:).Is it maybe possible to let the instance move real time like with mirror mode?

To the "Edit > Customize > Tools > Modeling Tools > StreamLine Tool WMB Scroll Simulator.".

I have tested them its very nice feature! It works very good! But in the moment i use "Common Shortcut Tools  >  WMB-Up Simulator". I have this on two buttons "w"and"q"and for example alt+e for extrude. If i press alt+e it start to extrude, i keep it holding and at the same time i press "w" or "q" to define how many edges i want in between. That brings enormous control which works best for me. The same i do for chamfer etc...
But i will test the new approach beside of the my existing, with your new tool in long term, maybe i switch to this tool :) Anyway it's great to have multiple ways to control the refinement.

to "View > Display > HUD Display > Show Activated Tool Cue Info"
Sorry but i don't see any changes, if i activate or deactivate it. Should it be like a popup?

to Edit > Preference > Options 1 > Viewport Navigation > Use Key+NMB for pan view. This makes it possible to pan view without depressing mouse button.
I activate it from now! It's still a little strange for me, because normally i was pressing alt+key on Pen to pan view. But i see the advantage in this new approach, because it's only one key.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 09:02:23 pm by Woolfy »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
October 22, 2017, 10:06:07 pm
to "View > Display > HUD Display > Show Activated Tool Cue Info"
Sorry but i don't see any changes, if i activate or deactivate it. Should it be like a popup?

It is not a popup. You need to turn on this
View > Display > Heads Up Display > Show Heads Up Display.

When you activate a streamline tool, you should see its cue info on left hand side of the viewport.

• Spline
    • www.weisheim.com
October 24, 2017, 06:42:41 pm
Hi,

now i got it, the color of the hud was very bright so i doesn't noticed the info that appeared in the left corner.
It works fine!

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
October 29, 2017, 09:54:00 am
I added "Update Mirror Instance" to "OnExit" slot in my "Tweak" streamline tool. Thats works very good,if i move object it move instance after this step automatically:).Is it maybe possible to let the instance move real time like with mirror mode?

Try this
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Oct-29-17.rar

* Edit > Options > Update Mirror Instances In Real Time. Update mirror instance's position and orientation when its instance source object is transoformed.

• Spline
    • www.weisheim.com
October 29, 2017, 03:47:35 pm
Yes, it works just amazing!! Thanks Istonia !!!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 06:17:56 pm by Woolfy »