News:

Topic: Changing StreamLine Tool group name?  (Read 2232 times)

• No avatar
  • Polygon
August 04, 2017, 04:57:29 pm
How can we change the name of a StreamLine Tool group?
Tool Name fields and Rename Group from context menu do not seem to have any effect on group's name.
I have plenty of New_Tool_## SL tools that I'd like to name properly.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
August 04, 2017, 05:51:38 pm
Hi rubberDuck,

The "Rename Group" is for changing the name of the folders(groups). To change name of tool, select the tool, the name of the tool should show in that top name feild, which you can (or should be able to) then edit. (Note: After changing the name, pressing "enter" will not change the name, you need to either LMB click in tool window, or move mouse outside of Streamline engine window. (annoying feature across data/text entry windows))

• No avatar
  • Polygon
August 04, 2017, 06:08:39 pm
The "Rename Group" is for changing the name of the folders(groups). To change name of tool, select the tool, the name of the tool should show in that top name feild, which you can (or should be able to) then edit.
Looks like the name of a StreamLine tool changes to the name of the first of its subtools of the StreamLine parent (usually SplineVertex subtool, if StreamLine tool is of Subobject Tool/Subobject Toolset type) . It feels silly because I want each subtool (for each geometry component) to be named differently, and at the same time have a more general name for the whole StreamLine tool. :-\
(Note: After changing the name, pressing "enter" will not change the name, you need to either LMB click in tool window, or move mouse outside of Streamline engine window. (annoying feature across data/text entry windows))
Tell me about it. :)
Same thing occurs in other windows, like the Material Editor for example. When you change one of the parameters, you need to click on some other GUI component to apply the change.

It would be nice if IStonia could fix those two issues (and the TAB/SHIFT+TAB keys not working in most of the windows, to move between the UI components).

• No avatar
  • Polygon
August 04, 2017, 06:21:45 pm
I can change tool names (see pics). Maybe you have a corrupted config(StreamLineToolSettings_NV.xml), I know I have have various problems, not sure if due to updates/changes, or nvil writing to file of exit, or just, well, whatever.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
August 04, 2017, 06:50:08 pm
I made a mistake in my previous post. You need to choose Subobject Toolset or Generic Toolset in order to reproduce.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
August 04, 2017, 07:18:40 pm
Ah right, I can see what you mean now. That was my mistake, not yours.

I did look throught the config file, to look at entries, but there are 13 entries of the tool name, so good it is not overly complicated leading to possible issue.

Something else I noticed.
When a new toolset is created, all the tool names are the same. But when renaming the tools, you cannot rename them to the same name.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
August 04, 2017, 07:35:42 pm
Something else I noticed.
When a new toolset is created, all the tool names are the same. But when renaming the tools, you cannot rename them to the same name.
I noticed this too. However upon further investigation, I found a way to rename all of the subtools to the same name:
Code: [Select]
1. Select the first subtool.
2. Rename it.
3. Select next subtool.
4. Rename it to some unique name.
5. Click somewhere in the window or move the cursor outside of the window.
6. Rename it again to the same name as previous subtool.
7. Repeat steps 3-6 for all remaining subtools.
Sounds silly, but it works.

However, the problem with the name of the parent subtool still remains. I can't find a way to change it to something other than the name of the first of its component subtools.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 07:45:59 pm by rubberDuck »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
August 05, 2017, 10:08:08 am
Fixed.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
August 05, 2017, 09:42:53 pm
Perfect! Thank you very much. :)