News:

Topic: Symmetry Help  (Read 2902 times)

• No avatar
  • Vertex
May 29, 2017, 03:08:41 pm
Hi all.

New demo user here, testing Nvil as a Silo alternative to back up my ZBrush workflow (into Softimage, never letting go!).

I have the stock install and have watched the Youtube videos but I cannot get symmetry working. I create a new cube, choose to enable symmetry but then nothing. I can re-sync after making edit, but cannot enable live symmetry. Any thoughts?

Cheers.

• Polygon
May 30, 2017, 09:25:25 am
Hi

In the default interface it doesn't really have the tools available for symmetry to work via icon buttons.

Turn on Symmetry (via the icon on the top toolbar)
Select your cube
Go to Edit menu > Options > Shortcut Symmetry Options > Select X, Y or Z plane for Symmetry.
Then in smart tips (left side of screen) the commands to create the symmetry are Ctl+Q & Ctl+W

Then you can just enable or disable the symmetry via the icon on the top toolbar.

If you want to see the symmetry plane then go to View menu > Display > Show Symmetry Plane

Note: The symmetry will be based on the pivot of the cube rather than the world coordinate system.

There is also a tool in vertex mode to recalculate symmetry if it gets out of kilter during your work.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 11:28:02 am by kevjon »

• Polygon
May 30, 2017, 11:24:03 am
I created my interface for Nvil. This is how I created the tools for symmetry which I use a lot during the course of modelling.

You could give Rocket 3F a try as Andrei has also created a nicer and easier to use interface which makes the symmetry tools and many others more readily accessible.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 11:25:50 am by kevjon »

• Spline
    • www.weisheim.com
June 13, 2017, 10:59:22 pm
Hi,

i have one question thats related to symmetry. I use a lot of symmetry on characters , most of the time i need the symmetry plane exact through world axis. X=0 . For example for gloves that i just need on the other hand. But this is not so easy to do in the moment, because of the pivot point .

His position is moving with object if you move in object mode. If i use "Modeling Options >> Symmetry Enabled" its just mirror the glove exact in the middle of the mesh! and not on X=0. I need to snap pivot first to the middle of my character to mirror it properly.Thats not optimal.

My question is there a better way , maybe compositing tool to automate this process.It shoud just mirror things on X=0 axis and enable symmetry in the end.

I thing  compositing tool could look like this( but maybe there is better way):

1. "Common Modeling Shortcut Tools>> Mirror"  ----> glove gets mirrored to another hand

2. Then pivot point should be placed in the middle of the selection ---> in case with gloves it should be in the middle of the character on X=0

3.Symmetry should going on ---> so you can proceed to work on both gloves simultaneously.

Currently im searching for the point 2. I cant find the way to bring the pivot point to the middle of the selection.

Does someone know how to get this? Thanks in advance..

« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 11:04:59 pm by Woolfy »

• Polygon
June 14, 2017, 09:02:09 am
Show the symmetry plane first
View menu > Display > Show Symmetry Plane

Manipulation Menu > Pivot > check radio button "mesh pivots as well"

Then left click on a vacant space in the viewport.

Does that make your symmetry plane jump from the centre of the object to the X axis ?

• No avatar
  • Polygon
June 14, 2017, 10:26:33 am
.......i need the symmetry plane exact through world axis. X=0 ......maybe compositing tool to automate this process.

Composite tool:-

1: Manipulator Tools >> Pivot+Orientation(World)
2: Common Modeling Shortcut Tools >> P_Align Pivot to Manipulator (True,True,False,False,False)
3: Common Modeling Shortcut Tools >> Align Mesh Pivot To Object base
4: Common Modeling Shortcut Tools >> Set Symmetry Axis(X)
5: Common Modeling Shortcut Tools >> Symmetry Remove-Negative(Weld/NoWeld)

Note: That will mirror the object from X positive, if you wanted to mirror from X negative, then replace 5 with:-
5: Common Modeling Shortcut Tools >> Symmetry Remove-Positive(Weld/NoWeld)

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
June 14, 2017, 12:35:34 pm
Try this. Some new tools are added.
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Jun-15-17.rar

* Geometry > Symmetry Cut > WorldSpace_X(Weld)... Remove the side of a mesh which has less geometry than the other side and replace it with a new part symmetrical to the other side. A symmetry information about the mesh will be created and can be used by other tools to perform transforming or modifying symmetrically. The object pivot and mesh pivot will be set accordingly.

• Spline
    • www.weisheim.com
June 14, 2017, 11:04:40 pm
Thanks a lot Kevjon, Steve and IStonia. Just awesome. It works perfect.