News:

Topic: Turn on move manipulator and select other element  (Read 9004 times)

• Triangle
    • Reiner`s Tilesets
September 02, 2012, 05:06:06 pm
Currently i have the choice to move let`s say a vertice by the widget. Sometimes the widget is in the way. In that case i prefer the second way: i hold down W, and use Turn on move manipulator. Unfortunately i cannot select another vertice then anymore when i hold down W. Which ends in a button pressing marathon while modeling.

Is it possible to make it that i can click at another vertice and select it while holding down W? That way i would just need to place a brick at the W button while modeling, and not repetive press it all the time :)
Free Gamegraphics, Freeware Games http//www.reinerstilesets.de

• No avatar
  • Polygon
September 02, 2012, 06:55:26 pm
Hi Tiles,

I did look at adding "Selection" to the "W" streamline tool, but due to the underlying selection tool expecting the shift key to be pressed(to add/remove from selection), that did not work as you want.

You can change the "W" into "Shift+W" then have the selection tool available during the move if needed, but not sure if you want to use "2 bricks"(shift+W) instead of just one(W).

Here I add "Selection" to the mouse X1 key

• Triangle
    • Reiner`s Tilesets
September 02, 2012, 07:21:52 pm
Thanks steve. Again you amaze me with what is possible with the streamline tools :)

I can indeed select another vertice now. But his method adds to the current selection. I want to select another vertice though, not to add to the current selection. So i think i need to add a deselect command somewhere. Haven`t found it yet.

Thinking about it again, holding down the keys all the time is still not really hand friendly. Ideal would be a mode to activate and deactivate Move Manipulator. So that i don`t need to hold the keys. But i guess that`s not possible.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
September 02, 2012, 07:32:26 pm
Hi Tiles,

If you just want to change selection (not add), just use the current "W" key(do not change the short cut key), but add the selection tool to the streamline tool.
 That will then allow you select while automatically deselecting current selection.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
September 02, 2012, 07:38:45 pm
Thinking about it again, holding down the keys all the time is still not really hand friendly. Ideal would be a mode to activate and deactivate Move Manipulator. So that i don`t need to hold the keys. But i guess that`s not possible.

Add the streamline tool to the SmartTips, then activate the streamline tool from the SmartTips, that will make it stay active.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
September 02, 2012, 07:52:47 pm
Try the streamline 'Tweak' tool. If you activate the tool with no selection, you can just click and drag to move what ever is under the cursor. It works with soft selection tool, make sure soft selection is enabled, scroll WMB to adjust softselection strength while the tool is on. If you activate the tool with selections, you can only move selections.

Add the streamline tool to the SmartTips, then activate the streamline tool from the SmartTips, that will make it stay active.

There is another way to keep the streamline tool live without keep pressing its hotkeys. Set it's streamline tool option 'Allow tpped to stay live' on. Activate the tool, don't perform any action, release the hotkeys.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
September 02, 2012, 08:06:11 pm
There is another way to keep the streamline tool live without keep pressing its hotkeys. Set it's streamline tool option 'Allow tpped to stay live' on. Activate the tool, don't perform any action, release the hotkeys.

But that only works on the underlying function, not the streamline tool itself.

For example with the "Move"(W). If you set the streamline tool to "Allow tapped to stay alive", it will only keep alive the first function you use, such as "Plane move"(LMB), if you then use MMB(for tweak move) the streamline tool exits

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
September 02, 2012, 08:20:30 pm

But that only works on the underlying function, not the streamline tool itself.

For example with the "Move"(W). If you set the streamline tool to "Allow tapped to stay alive", it will only keep alive the first function you use, such as "Plane move"(LMB), if you then use MMB(for tweak move) the streamline tool exits

It is a bug. I'll fix it.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
September 02, 2012, 08:24:06 pm
It is a bug. I'll fix it.

OK, thanks.

I did not know if it was intentional or not. I am still learning the streamline tools, so do not know enough about them yet.

• Triangle
    • Reiner`s Tilesets
September 03, 2012, 08:14:21 am
Okay, now i`m totally confused. My brain finally turned off after the middle of the thread :D

But one after another. I have setup the Move back to hotkey W. Then i have added the Generic Tools > Selection Tools to X1 Tool. But this doesn`t work. I cannot select another vertice with hold down W that way. What is wrong here?

• No avatar
  • Polygon
September 03, 2012, 08:33:27 am
Hi Tiles,

It does work on my setup.
Are you using the correct (X1) mouse button? With no tools selected, press the "X1" mouse button, on button press, it will show it top left of screen.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
September 03, 2012, 08:42:00 am
Tiles, have you try the way I suggested previously? Clear any selection before you activate the W tool. After activating it, move you cursor over any subobject/mesh/object, click and drag. The program will select and deselect automatically.

• Triangle
    • Reiner`s Tilesets
September 03, 2012, 09:31:13 am
Ah, so much new stuff, *TILT* :D

Okay, got the first part sorted now. I was not aware that with X1 and X2 some extra buttons at the mouse were meant. I thought it`s a double feature for LMB and RMB. I meanwhile found the X1 and X2 buttons at my mouse. And the method works like charm now. Thanks Steve :)

It would of course be nice when i could use the LMB for selection as before. Which leads me to your suggestion iStonia. Let`s have a look if i can get it to work too. Just give me a few hours. I don`t have the time at the moment to fiddle with the stuff :)

• Triangle
    • Reiner`s Tilesets
September 03, 2012, 10:46:53 am
Found a few spare minutes, this dind`t let me rest.

Try the streamline 'Tweak' tool. If you activate the tool with no selection, you can just click and drag to move what ever is under the cursor.

Next thing sorted. This tip is what i wanted to achieve in the first place. Not knowing that it is already there. Works great. Thanks :)

What i wonder though why there is a tweak tool and a move tool. They both move selected elements. Wouldn´t it be better to union the functionality?

Tried it with Tweak, which is already in the SmartTips. And again, works like charm. Which means all my problems are solved now :)

As pointed out by steve this doesn`t work yet. Waiting patiently for the bugfix.

Thanks for all the help folks :)

One thing left. With using the Tweak tool and clicking at an element the widget appears. Which is disfunctional because you cannot touch it anyways when Tweak tool is active. How can i turn that off so that no widget appears?

EDIT. So simple: turn off widgets ...
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 10:59:15 am by Tiles »

• No avatar
  • Polygon
September 03, 2012, 01:47:30 pm
What i wonder though why there is a tweak tool and a move tool. They both move selected elements. Wouldn´t it be better to union the functionality?
There is also (for vertex) the "Slide vertex"(G). (and a slide selection tool)

Just change/customize the tools/functions as you want them.