News:

Topic: extrude loops snap to spline  (Read 7617 times)

• Triangle
August 28, 2012, 02:00:47 pm
When opening up the extrude options there's an option "snap to spline". But only the end of the extrusion snaps to the spline, the inbetween loops follow a straight line. I would find it convenient if these loops would also snap to the spline at their respective positions. I know this behavior from Maya and I think Silo.
When extruding "by hand", I mean step by step along the spline it gets quite inaccurate to place the loops at the same spacing, or afterwards I would have to use space loops/tidy loops. But this whole process takes a lot of time and doesn't deliver the wanted results.
I tried to fiddle around with the slide command for splines, but the process to get a mesh out of it and attach it to your existing one (extract spline, slide, flip normals, merge etc.) is too complex.
So basically what I want to suggest is to include the splines slide options into the face extrude function.
Thanks for paying attention! :)

• No avatar
  • Polygon
August 28, 2012, 03:25:03 pm
Hello,

Use the MMB(middle mouse button) to select the spline. That will extrude along(following) the spline and the "Extrude along spline" options (popup) will show.

• Triangle
August 28, 2012, 07:50:49 pm
Whooo! Thanks a lot! That's exactly what I was looking for. There's a lot functionality in this software, but I find it difficult to find out about it and how it works. There are a lot of similar tools that are slightly different, especially when it comes to streamlinetools. And I often find me wondering, what the difference is. Could be definately slimmed down to be more consistent.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
August 28, 2012, 08:15:39 pm
I have only been using Nvil for a couple of months, so am still finding tools I have not tried yet.

Although I agree that some slimming down could be made, I would be concerned as to what tools are removed/merged, as some users may already be set up and happy with tools that may get removed. So I do prefer the tools remain and then a personal choice can be made.