News:

Topic: Tangents and Snapping  (Read 8664 times)

• Triangle
August 28, 2012, 01:45:53 pm
Hi!
I noticed that snapping doesn't work on the tangent handles of spline vertices. If I model something based on spline curves, I'd like to be able to control the shape accuarately. That includes to aim a tangent to another vertex or to grid, whatever.
Thanks! :)

• No avatar
  • Polygon
August 28, 2012, 03:34:21 pm
Hello,

Have you tried (Snap_position_normal) pressing "X" + RMB

• Triangle
August 28, 2012, 07:37:55 pm
I just tried, but it has no effect on the tangents. If I use such tools on the CVs it works, but nothing works on the green tangent handles.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
August 28, 2012, 07:46:56 pm
Ah right, sorry, I thought you where referring to the [spline]point tangents.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 07:49:19 pm by steve »

• No avatar
  • Polygon
August 28, 2012, 07:56:34 pm
That includes to aim a tangent to another vertex or to grid, whatever.

There is the "Rotation Snap selection". Have a look in "Edit-> Customize-> Streamline tools". You can assign a shortcut key to that function.

• Triangle
August 28, 2012, 09:13:35 pm
I couldn't find any "Rotation snap selection" in the streamline tools for that. Is it maybe a hotkey in Tools? But I guess it too wouldn't do what I wanted. Take the handle of the tangent and snap it somewhere just like you would with a vertex or CV or mesh or whatever.
To make sure, that we're all on the same page, here's what I am talking about, if there is some misunderstanding:

• No avatar
  • Polygon
August 28, 2012, 09:41:19 pm
Take the handle of the tangent and snap it somewhere just like you would with a vertex or CV or mesh or whatever.

I have just checked, and you can use "X"+RMB to snap the handle to a snap point.

Before you use that function, make sure you have the "snapping options"(that you want to snap to (such as "snap to vertex")) selected. Select the handle, then press(hold down) "X" and LMB(or RMB) click on the snap point.

EDIT: Sorry, I made some custom changes and forgot (old age lol). That function is not there by default, very sorry.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 10:40:27 pm by steve »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
August 28, 2012, 10:20:35 pm
steve, I didn't know you can use this snapping trick. Great. Can you post the image of your X tool settings?

Any way, I have just added the snapping feature to the spline 'Tangent' tool to make it more straight forward and it will be available in the next update.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
August 28, 2012, 10:37:14 pm
steve, I didn't know you can use this snapping trick. Great. Can you post the image of your X tool settings?

ooops. I remember now that I added the shortcut key, and may of changed the functions assigned to the streamline "Snap selection" tool (sorry Vaquero).

Here are my settings:-

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
August 28, 2012, 10:59:29 pm
steve, I think you should also show us the streamline tool option settings. I guess you have checked 'Can be acitvated when visual tool is on'.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
August 28, 2012, 11:07:11 pm
steve, I think you should also show us the streamline tool option settings.

Sorry, here you are:-

At the time I was experimenting(I still am), so some options are enabled that do not need to be.

Regards,

-Steve

• Triangle
August 29, 2012, 11:13:21 pm
Ah, ok. Thanks for the Info. I had tried to assign "snap_position_normal" to a shortcut and nothing did happen. So for the time being I could use it, if I also enable the snapping. But I like the more consistent approach, that will kindly be implemented. Thanks for that, too!

• No avatar
  • Polygon
August 30, 2012, 11:15:21 am
But I like the more consistent approach, that will kindly be implemented.

It would depend on how it is added. If it is another option being placed within the spline options, then it is not really consistent.
For it to be consistent, IMHO, then the handle snapping would be transparent, in that they would snap simply based on snapping being enabled, and snap to setting(s) made, without a need for further options being enabled.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
August 31, 2012, 11:31:57 am
done.