News:

Topic: Texture Charts  (Read 8697 times)

• No avatar
  • Polygon
August 16, 2012, 09:33:30 am
Hello,

Have just started looking at the UV mapping.

My first question is in regards to "Texture Charts" which are mentioned only briefly in the help file. (I do know what "texture charts" are)

In the help file it specifically states [Selecting Texture Chart] "polygons can be grouped into texture charts". I am unable to find any tools for grouping polygons into texture charts. There is a "Group" polygons (which is no longer in the visual tools as shown in the help file.), but those groups have no influence (that I have found) on texture charts.

Thanks,

• No avatar
  • Polygon
August 16, 2012, 10:14:00 am
[UV]Bake Texture

I find that appears to be an automatic chart creation based on projection. That will be very useful.

A question would be:- Is there a way to control the texture bleed size/distance (or, the distance between UV packed charts)?

Thanks,

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
August 16, 2012, 10:36:18 am
Hello,

Have just started looking at the UV mapping.

My first question is in regards to "Texture Charts" which are mentioned only briefly in the help file. (I do know what "texture charts" are)

In the help file it specifically states [Selecting Texture Chart] "polygons can be grouped into texture charts". I am unable to find any tools for grouping polygons into texture charts. There is a "Group" polygons (which is no longer in the visual tools as shown in the help file.), but those groups have no influence (that I have found) on texture charts.

Thanks,

This is about growing polygon selection within the uv seam. It seems the words I put in the help file misleading.

[UV]Bake Texture

I find that appears to be an automatic chart creation based on projection. That will be very useful.

A question would be:- Is there a way to control the texture bleed size/distance (or, the distance between UV packed charts)?

Thanks,

This tool may not very reliable. Currently there is no available way for user to control the breed size.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
August 16, 2012, 11:16:23 am
This is about growing polygon selection within the uv seam. It seems the words I put in the help file misleading.
OK, thanks.

I was looking at "Texture charts" based on smoothing groups. I set the smoothing groups, select all polygons(of simple object with 4 smoothing groups), "UV map-> Simple unfold" select "Edit Seams" which then shows the seams based on the smoothing groups. But when I then select "Unfold", I get a UV map with incorrect charts that appear to be stacked on top of each other hidden under one polygon. After which, the seams change to some random order. Am I missing a step?(I did find in the help file it mentions using "Shift+S" for defining seams from smoothing groups, but using that gives the same problems as mentioned)

This tool may not very reliable.
Not a good sign.

Currently there is no available way for user to control the breed size.
OK, thanks.

Regards,

-Steve

• No avatar
  • Polygon
August 16, 2012, 02:30:06 pm
It appears Nvil will only "Simple unfold" one UV chart at once, which gives rise to serious problems when editing seams while unwrapping. If for example I am unfolding an object, I can edit seams, unfold, then edit seams and unfold again. However, If I cut the chart into 2 while going through that process the UV map explodes.
It also appears that the "Simple unfold" is based from a view projection, which sometimes works but other times gives a corrupted UV map.
I also cannot find a way to auto-pack the charts, so having to UV map each chart separately then means there can be a lot of work having to scale/align the charts for manual packing.

I will UV map in another application.

Regards,

-Steve

« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 02:33:03 pm by steve »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
August 17, 2012, 08:59:30 am
Yeah, I need to redo the uv tool sometime in the future. In the meantime, it's there just for better than none.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
August 17, 2012, 09:22:34 am
Hi IStonia,

Yeah, I need to redo the uv tool sometime in the future.
If you decide to have a look at updating the UV tools at some time, I will then make a full list of my findings to highlight the problems.
I know it is a complex area and dont expect miracles.
I use several dedicated UV mappers, and even those do have some problems.

In the meantime, it's there just for better than none.
Some areas are quite good. Such as "Pelt" and even "Bake"(the "Bake Texture" I tried on several fairly complex parts, and they did auto-unfold with no overlaps).

Best Regards,

-Steve

• Administrator
  • Polygon
August 17, 2012, 11:39:35 am
not to be a downer or anything, but i actually don't really mind lack of uv support in nvil, i more or less just use it for really good modeling tools and nothing else, since no matter what i have to bring my nvil meshes into maya, so why not just use mayas great uv tools while im at it, also my UV workflow is a bit tied into how i do my smoothing and normals, so i really need full scripting support at that stage anyways that nvil dosnt do.