News:

Topic: Multiple Bridge  (Read 7817 times)

• No avatar
  • Spline
September 22, 2016, 10:15:46 pm
Hi everyone,

I'm using latest version of NVIL (NVil-Sep-18-16) and i'm searching the tool or the method
to perform a multiple bridge between couples of faces, but I didn't find any.

Does anyone knows if is it possible, and if so, what's the correct tool ?

Here's the link to the video showing what I'm trying to do.

http://take.ms/BC3px

And here's the NVIL file

http://take.ms/r2YEI

Thanks to everyone and have a nice day.

- Marco (mkdm)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 10:32:14 pm by mkdm »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
September 23, 2016, 03:27:25 am
Currently that bridge tool can only handle two polygons. I will improve it when have time.

• No avatar
  • Spline
September 23, 2016, 07:58:08 am
Currently that bridge tool can only handle two polygons. I will improve it when have time.

Hi Istonia,

Thanks for the reply.

I hope you will find time to develop that feature.

P.S.
As many other users, I choose NVIL for its powerful features and above all for its streamlined workflow,
and it's a very good companion of the excellent Moi3D.
I use it for a short time so I don't even know all its features, but it would be really good to have
some of the smartest features that Moi3D has.
That is, it would be perfect to have in the Polygon/SDS environment of NVIL some of the workflow
and features present in the Nurbs environment of Moi.
For example operations like Orient, Copy to multiple points, Project, and so on...
Maybe some of those functions already exist in NVIL but I don't know...

ASAP I will post a short video of those smart Moi's features to show you what i mean.

Nice day,

- Marco (mkdm)

• Polygon
November 25, 2016, 11:13:45 pm
I think the bridge tool is one of the weak areas of Nvil. Its hard to use.

With regard to multi bridge it would be nice if it would work like blenders loop tools where you select two edges, and the tool has options for linear & cubic bridge, segments, strength and twist.

I really like this implementation and use it a lot.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
November 28, 2016, 07:29:38 am

Hi Istonia,

Thanks for the reply.

I hope you will find time to develop that feature.

P.S.
As many other users, I choose NVIL for its powerful features and above all for its streamlined workflow,
and it's a very good companion of the excellent Moi3D.
I use it for a short time so I don't even know all its features, but it would be really good to have
some of the smartest features that Moi3D has.
That is, it would be perfect to have in the Polygon/SDS environment of NVIL some of the workflow
and features present in the Nurbs environment of Moi.
For example operations like Orient, Copy to multiple points, Project, and so on...
Maybe some of those functions already exist in NVIL but I don't know...

ASAP I will post a short video of those smart Moi's features to show you what i mean.

Nice day,

- Marco (mkdm)

Try this
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Nov-28-16.rar

• No avatar
  • Spline
November 28, 2016, 11:01:33 pm
Hi Istonia and thank you very much for your latest update!

I tried to do some multi-bridge but I didn't fully understand how it works.
(Sometimes it works sometimes not)

Could you please post a simple tutorial for this multi-bridge feature ?

This latest update (NVil-Nov-28-16) contains only Multi-Bridge or also other improvements ?

See you.

- Marco (mdkm)

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
December 03, 2016, 09:59:50 am
Hi Istonia and thank you very much for your latest update!

I tried to do some multi-bridge but I didn't fully understand how it works.
(Sometimes it works sometimes not)

Could you please post a simple tutorial for this multi-bridge feature ?

This latest update (NVil-Nov-28-16) contains only Multi-Bridge or also other improvements ?

See you.

- Marco (mdkm)

If you select 4 polygons and try to bridge them, there are 3 possibilities. So if the program does not produce the result you expected, you have to do it pair by pair. The algorithm used is a combination of the use of poly normals and centers.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 09:37:38 pm by IStonia »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
December 03, 2016, 10:01:25 am
I think the bridge tool is one of the weak areas of Nvil. Its hard to use.

With regard to multi bridge it would be nice if it would work like blenders loop tools where you select two edges, and the tool has options for linear & cubic bridge, segments, strength and twist.

I really like this implementation and use it a lot.

Try this
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Dec-03-16.rar

* The 3 edge Bridge streamline basic tools are improved. If there is selection, this tool will attempt to bridge selection. Otherwise click to select the first open edge, then click the second open edge to create a polygon between the two edges. Scroll WMB to adjust segments. Tap Space key to change between linear and curve style.

• Polygon
December 06, 2016, 08:10:25 am

Try this
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Dec-03-16.rar

* The 3 edge Bridge streamline basic tools are improved. If there is selection, this tool will attempt to bridge selection. Otherwise click to select the first open edge, then click the second open edge to create a polygon between the two edges. Scroll WMB to adjust segments. Tap Space key to change between linear and curve style.

Hi Istonia, this is brilliant thanks for implementing it !

I do have a couple of issues with the tool though that it makes it hard to use and not very intuitive.

I have mapped the B key to Streamline Engine Tools -> Bridge/Cap Hole

When I select the two open multi edges and hit the B key, it just bridges the opening with a straight chamfer. There is no ability to use the MW to adjust segments or hit the space bar to change between round & linear bridge.

The only way I can get the tool to work as designed is to not select any open edges and then use the MMB to make the bridge. The only problem with that implementation is that multi bridge is mapped to MMB. Most mice these days are designed so that pressing down on the MW acts as MMB. So when you press the MMB down you cannot scroll the mouse wheel at the same time to adjust segments, instead it just zooms in and out. Spacebar works well though.

The way I would like to see the tool work to make it intuitive for users is as follows.
- User Selects the edges where they want the bridge to occur
- Hold the B key to active the Bridge/Cap hole streamline tool.
- Scroll with MW to adjust segments
- Hit the spacebar to toggle between linear and round.

I don't think users need bridge single and bridge multi mapped to seperate Mouse buttons. The one tool should do both.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 08:12:28 am by kevjon »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
December 07, 2016, 06:04:51 am
Check your Bridge/Cap Hole tool. I think its activated event is linked to the edge bridge command tool. If so, just remove that link.

• Polygon
December 07, 2016, 07:45:29 am
Right you are !

Working perfectly now, Thanks.

Do you think it is possible to add strength into the round bridge so I can tweak how round it is ?

If not, no problem, I can box in the area with splines and use spline loft, which is what I have been doing before you created this awesome tool.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
December 07, 2016, 08:47:05 am
Try this
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Dec-07-16.rar

To adjust curve strength, Caps Lock key + WMB scroll.

• Polygon
December 07, 2016, 09:22:26 am
Works brilliant, thanks a lot !

Also your previous CAP Hole tool is really awesome too, I use it a lot. I haven't seen that functionality in other software I have used.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 09:25:04 am by kevjon »

• No avatar
  • Polygon
December 08, 2016, 05:07:57 am
...it would be nice if it would work like blenders loop tools.........

There is the "mesh -> Bridge Edge Loops" that gives extra options(via UI).

Just a note/comment (bit of a rant).
One of the biggest complaints about blender, is it`s use of hotkeys(shortcut keys). But with Blender, once these type of tools are called, you get a UI for real_time settings. With Nvil, we call the tool, then have further multiple hard_coded hotkeys required to get the tool to fully function.
So what do you think possible users think of Nvil?

This new edge tool implimentation is an example of that, also as we see, we have to manually count the number of edges added and guess the curve strengh setting.

I have always disliked hotkeys, it is why I have all tools set on user buttons. But even with doing that, I am forced to use hotkeys for multiple tools/functions.

• Polygon
December 08, 2016, 07:26:54 am
Quote from: steve

There is the "mesh -> Bridge Edge Loops" that gives extra options(via UI).

I cannot find such a tool either in tool search or Visual Tools window. Sounds useful though.

Quote from: steve

Just a note/comment (bit of a rant).
One of the biggest complaints about blender, is it`s use of hotkeys(shortcut keys). But with Blender, once these type of tools are called, you get a UI for real_time settings. With Nvil, we call the tool, then have further multiple hard_coded hotkeys required to get the tool to fully function.
So what do you think possible users think of Nvil?

This new edge tool implimentation is an example of that, also as we see, we have to manually count the number of edges added and guess the curve strengh setting.

I have always disliked hotkeys, it is why I have all tools set on user buttons. But even with doing that, I am forced to use hotkeys for multiple tools/functions.

I think hot keys are really useful for experienced users for their most often used tools but I too would like to see more input dialog boxes in Nvil for a lot of functions.