News:

Topic: Align polygon normals?  (Read 6779 times)

• No avatar
  • Polygon
July 06, 2012, 08:54:38 pm
Hello,

I have found the various snap alignment tools, but have been trying to find a way to make alignment (of 2 objects) based of polygon normals. For example, select a face/polygon on one object, then select a face/polygon on a second object for the alignment between the 2 polygon normals. Some other programs call such a tool as "lay on" or "put on"

There is the Surface_Align_vertexNormal#. From its description "Drag to align selections towards the surface of unselected objects in vertex normal direction", it may (or may not) be the correct tool, but I cannot get that tool to function. I have set it to a steamline function, but dragging as no effect.

I can work around that, but it means setting up the pivot position/orientation to the (object to move) polygon first, then using Snap_position_Normal#

• No avatar
  • Polygon
July 07, 2012, 11:55:24 am
Hello again,

I see you have added a "Lay on" tool. Many thanks (you work very quickly)
One possible slight misunderstanding. With a "lay on" (or "put on") tool, when selecting 2 polygons(faces), the fist selection would align to the second, but would "lay on" the object, meaning that the 2 normals would be facing each other.

For example. If you have 2 cubes(box), select one face on one box, then a face on the second box, "lay on" would then result in one box (Aligned) on top of the other, with the selected polygon normals facing each other.

Regards,

- Steve
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 11:56:59 am by steve »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
July 07, 2012, 12:31:37 pm
corrected.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
July 07, 2012, 12:45:18 pm