News:

Topic: Smoothing groups  (Read 2502 times)

• No avatar
  • Vertex
February 02, 2015, 08:55:57 pm
Hello, I'm trying to do some graphics for games and I'm having a bit of a trouble with smoothing groups. I have made a simple box and uv each side to a seperate island and given each island it's own smoothing group. Then the box and a subdivided version of it goes to xNormal where I bake the normal maps. But I'm getting some weird results from the box made in Nvil. I'm using a cage made in xNormal in both cases.

There's a gradient where there should not be. I remade the smoothing groups in 3dsMax and the result was correct.

Am I doing it wrong in Nvil or is it something else?

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
February 03, 2015, 08:01:28 am
Can you show me the obj files of the box? Both exported from NVil and Max. And Both base mesh and HP mesh.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
February 04, 2015, 07:16:17 am
Thanks for sending the files. I have read them. I notice that there are vertex normal info in the Max file while none in NVil file.

I think xNormal ignores smooth group settings in obj files.

You can change your obj exporting options to export vertex normals. Edit > Options > File Format Options > obj > Export vertex normals.

For easier work flow, I would suggest you use edge mode > Geometry > Harden/Soften tools to control your hard edges, instead of using max style smooth group.

• No avatar
  • Vertex
February 04, 2015, 02:17:30 pm
That works perfectly, thank you.