News:

Topic: Extrusion and Lofting?  (Read 4801 times)

• No avatar
  • Vertex
January 12, 2015, 02:02:28 pm
Hello,

Is it possible to add extrusion based on a segmented profile and segmented path?
Is it possible to add lofting using segmented profiles and segmented guide curves?

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
January 13, 2015, 04:03:10 am
Without samples I can't understand properly your requests.

Check this thread
http://voidworld.cmcproductions.co.uk/index.php/topic,2523.msg8781.html#msg8781

Also check the spline Slide tool and the spline constrain feature of the Extrude tool.

• No avatar
  • Vertex
January 13, 2015, 06:06:52 am
Splines do not give control over specific placement of vertices. If I want to change where the vertices are placed, I can only do so after the extrusion function or spline slide function has created a mesh, which is more time consuming.

So if its possible to draw a poly line with segments to use for profile and path instead of a spline, I can have control over exactly where the vertices are generated. 

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
January 13, 2015, 07:01:26 am
Try make the profile spline as "Line List".

• No avatar
  • Polygon
January 13, 2015, 07:04:06 am
Hi cdordoni,

So if its possible to draw a poly line with segments to use for profile and path instead of a spline, I can have control over exactly where the vertices are generated.

Create the Splines for the Profile/path, select the splines, change to "Vertex" selection mode and use "Geometry > Spline Commands n Tools > Toggle Spline Type". That will change the splines from smooth to segments. You will then get the results you mention.
----------------------------------------------------------------
You should also be able to do the same by creating the splines as "Line List", but there appears to be a minor bug recently introduced causing extra edges/polygons to be created. I will report that.

• No avatar
  • Vertex
January 13, 2015, 06:40:54 pm
Thanks for that info. I was searching through the Help and I missed the Line List function with Splines.

That will do what I want.