News:

Topic: Auto Weld in retopo mode?  (Read 3673 times)

• No avatar
  • Vertex
February 20, 2014, 01:56:17 pm
Hi

It would be very nice to be able to automatically well an edge or a vertex while doing retopology work. When extruding edges or vertex or simply moving them and your getting close to an already created poly...

With the option to adjust the snap tolerance.

Is there an option to do this in Nvil?

Thanks ;)
Best Regards

• Triangle
February 20, 2014, 02:55:06 pm
I made the same request already: http://voidworld.cmcproductions.co.uk/index.php/topic,1735.0.html

FYI: There's a special board (subforum) for feature requests here: http://voidworld.cmcproductions.co.uk/index.php/board,4.0.html

• No avatar
  • Vertex
February 21, 2014, 12:51:01 am
Thanks. I  did not put the post  on the request section  because i was not sure if the option was in nvil or not and the search function on the forum did not work..

Anyways, hope is implemented soon... ;)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 12:55:13 am by yolao »

• No avatar
  • Polygon
February 21, 2014, 01:56:34 am
It would be very nice to be able to automatically well an edge or a vertex while doing retopology work.

Auto welding is already there. Have you tried using the hotkeys(in retopo mode) as shown in the help file?

« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 01:59:06 am by steve »

• Triangle
February 21, 2014, 07:24:16 pm
Tried again in hopes I missed something, but had no luck. What I meant are cases like this:

The selected edge was extruded with the retopo tool via shift+s+LMBdrag+2segments, leaving me with the marked open edges I have to weld manually.

• No avatar
  • Vertex
February 22, 2014, 01:49:31 am
It would be very nice to be able to automatically well an edge or a vertex while doing retopology work.

Auto welding is already there. Have you tried using the hotkeys(in retopo mode) as shown in the help file?

hey Steve, check the video that Vaquero linked  http://youtu.be/SiRjOptXAPU?t=7m30s that`s what i like to have in retopo mode.

But while we are in the hotkeys talk, i have set some hotkeys to work with retopo mode with the option "can be activated only when retopo is on" and they work well but the weld tool does not work, it never get activated when i press the hotkey like the others do...
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 01:51:24 am by yolao »

• No avatar
  • Polygon
February 22, 2014, 02:41:48 am
hey Steve, check the video that Vaquero linked  http://youtu.be/SiRjOptXAPU?t=7m30s that`s what i like to have in retopo mode.

You can get the same result, just be different method.

For the bridge across 2 edges(shown in video), press(hold down) shift key and LMB click first edge, then LMB click second edge.
For the edge loop bridge(shown in video), press(hold down) shift key and LMB on first loop edge, press(hold down) Ctrl and LMB on second edge loop.

The example shown by Vaquero, that is a limitation in Nvil, as shown in help file.
As the Maya video does not show that example, I do not know if even Maya can do that.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
February 22, 2014, 03:33:44 am
But while we are in the hotkeys talk, i have set some hotkeys to work with retopo mode with the option "can be activated only when retopo is on" and they work well but the weld tool does not work, it never get activated when i press the hotkey like the others do...

I just had a quick look. You can use the Basic streamline tool "Vertex Tools > Vertex Weld", but you would need to switch to vertex mode. You can still use "Retopo" in Vertex mode and switching modes does not interrupt the Retopo tool.

For example:-
Create new [subobjects] streamline tool.
In the mouse function tools, "NMB Tool" = "Vertex Tools > Vertex Weld".
In the "Event Action" > "On Activated" = "Switch to Vertex Mode"
Set hotkey that does not conflict with current retopo keys used.

While in Retopo, weld(that streamline tool) can be called without interrupting retopo tool.

• Triangle
February 22, 2014, 03:59:53 am
As the Maya video does not show that example, I do not know if even Maya can do that.
This feature is only available in the Maya extension and I don't have that to check. But it doesn't really matter. Why not surpass Maya? One of the features of the retopo tool is already doing something similar. Where it snaps to nearby vertices, but you'd have to create the polygons one by one. So what about an overall snap-to-weld tolerance?
The vertex weld streamline basic tool also only works one weld at a time and I'd have to leave it everytime to keep from collapsing with the next pair of vertices.

• No avatar
  • Vertex
February 22, 2014, 02:08:54 pm

You can get the same result, just be different method.

For the bridge across 2 edges(shown in video), press(hold down) shift key and LMB click first edge, then LMB click second edge.
For the edge loop bridge(shown in video), press(hold down) shift key and LMB on first loop edge, press(hold down) Ctrl and LMB on second edge loop.

The example shown by Vaquero, that is a limitation in Nvil, as shown in help file.

Yes, i use the bridge tool all the time, but the auto weld function is in my opinion more intuitive, if i`m creating polys, because it does not requires extra clicks to do the job.

If i hit "Shift" to extrude an edge and then "A" to do a polygon row and then i get close to a set of polygons i have to stop the row of polygons that i`m creating, then click "shift" or "d" key one edge and then click the other edge to do the bridge... instead of just snap to where i want which is what auto weld do... ;) is about workflow for mi...

P.S. And BTW, the weld vertex hotkey works well when i change to vertex mode. Thanks for the info.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 02:12:22 pm by yolao »

• Triangle
February 22, 2014, 03:58:37 pm
I just remembered somethnig I didn't thought of earlier to work around the specific problem I mentioned. It is a break in retopo workflow, but it does the job: Using the 'Fill Jagged Border Edges' command. I can suspend the retopo tool, select the edges and fill the corner.