News:

Topic: VoidWorld Update Apr 02 2012  (Read 6288 times)

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
April 02, 2012, 10:25:48 am
new update.
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/VoidWorld-Apr-02-12.rar

Summary of changes:

* End edge subd crease value adjusting functions in Interpolation tool are added both in visual tool and streamline basic tool.
  * A new subd edge crease streamline basic tool, Crease_Sudivision_Grow, under Edge Tools group. It allows to create creased edges without having to select edges.
  * Subobject region selection tool is improved. Camera base selection will exclude occluded subobjects.
  * Global retopo mode is added. For detail, see Help > Contents > Modeling > Scene Organizing > Retopo Reference List. Edit > Options > Retopo Mode Enabled.

Thanks!

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • Portfolio
April 02, 2012, 04:42:18 pm
Unbelievable Istonia.  You're an enigma.

I know that when you go radio silent for a while you're up to something special.

I'll be sure to be putting the global Retopology through it's paces.

:D
Senior 3D Artist

• No avatar
  • Spline
April 04, 2012, 11:42:24 am
Thanks a lot for the further progress on SubD-Creasing!
However - I have to admit that I still do not quite understand how to set this up.
My interpretation is: The Top-Slider controls global weight of selected Edges.
Then there's two sliders which control local overrides. This can happen towards higher and lower.
Finally there's a Slider which controls where the Middle Value of these Overrides is on the selected Edge(s) - the Bias-Slider. Is that so far correct?
Still - if i try using the new features I don't get it to work in any predictable fashion.
A file with some samples might help understanding what one needs to do.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
April 04, 2012, 08:41:24 pm
polyxo, your understanding sounds quite correct.

The Even Assignment and Interpolation are different tools.

As for the Interpolation tool, what you need to do is to select an open loop edges then slide the three sliders to observe the effect. If you found it hard to control, keep the bias value at 0 and change it if you want after you have gotten the low and high end crease right. The bias value just serves as a modifier to control how the low and high end crease value affect a middle edge's crease value so it is more leaning towards one side or another.

If you still have any issues, please make a vid to show what is you want to achieve. May be it is something that can't be done through edge creasing.

• No avatar
  • Spline
April 09, 2012, 01:00:57 pm
Hi IStonia,
sorry, it took some days to set up an example. See the attached gifs. I find that creasing works inconsistently here - one also can not see a proper decay going on (from max strength to zero.

In this second example one can see that some edges show a decay (and a colour-gradient on the Edge), others don't (my custom max strength colour is bright green, low value is bright blue).

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
April 09, 2012, 08:42:59 pm
polyxo, edge creasing is "edge basis". In interpolation, you need to have at least two edges selected, so one edge at one end serves as high and the edge at the other end serves as low. In your second sample, you have two edges selected, but the program pick the edge with the higher weight as high end when you started the operation, not from the shape of your geometry or selection. If your two edges have same weight at operation starting, the high/low end decision is unpreditable.

• No avatar
  • Spline
April 09, 2012, 10:25:58 pm
Thanks IStonia but I am afraid I don't really understand what you are saying.
Do you mean one needs not only the edges which are going to be creased but also the
adjacent edges selected to give the Program indication of their Edge-Crease-Value?
Just take the first example - if I want the radial edges to be sharply creased towards
the center and to be totally uncreased towards the outer margin - what would one need
to do differently? Here's the file I used.