News:

Topic: Snapping questions  (Read 3886 times)

• No avatar
  • Vertex
October 08, 2013, 03:47:30 am
Okay so I've figured out where to turn snapping on and off in the menus. What I don't get is the following:

Ctrl + X1 hotkey to toggle snapping. Where's this X1 key? Does it mean X key and 1 key combined plus Ctrl? Tried that, nothing happens.

Can't seem to be able to have multiple snap modes enabled at the same time e.g. vertex and edge

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks
Nigel / 3DKiwi

• No avatar
  • Polygon
October 08, 2013, 09:56:43 am
Those two X mouse buttons are cryptic to me too.

To be able to easily toggle between multiple/single snapping, one way would be to set-up a radial menu and fill it with commands from Snapping Options. If you choose to use the non-toggleable commands, "#" character to the right of the command name in the radial menu acts as a toggle.

The other way is to create a User Tools Window (View->Windows->User Tools Window) and populate it with Snapping Options->Toggle $$$ (vertex/edge/object, etc.) commands.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
October 08, 2013, 10:02:19 am
My mouse has 5 buttons, LMB/MMB/RMB/X1/X2.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
October 08, 2013, 10:22:47 am
In most cases additional mouse buttons can be assigned to virtually any keystroke or action with the bundled software. I once read that X1 and X2 may correspond to Forward/Back commands, but I wasn't able to make them work on my mouse.

• Edge
October 08, 2013, 12:28:41 pm
They work perfectly on mine, I use them for a lot of things. Logitech mx518, if it matters.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
October 08, 2013, 01:15:18 pm
Could you look into SetPoint and tell us what functions are mapped to your rodent's extra buttons? :)

• No avatar
  • Polygon
October 08, 2013, 01:17:54 pm
Hi Nigel, welcome to the forums,

Ctrl + X1 hotkey to toggle snapping. Where's this X1 key? Does it mean X key and 1 key combined plus Ctrl? Tried that, nothing happens.

X1 X2 are buttons on the mouse(but not all mice have them), they are normally positioned on the side of the mouse.

Can't seem to be able to have multiple snap modes enabled at the same time e.g. vertex and edge

If you are using the default snap toolbar, there are 3 ways to make selection from that toolbar.
LMB(Left Mouse Button) select a snapping option, that will toggle that option, but will also force all other snapping options to be disabled.
MMB(Middle Mouse Button) select a snapping option, that will toggle all snapping options on/off
RMB(Right Mouse Button) select a snapping option, that will toggle the selected snap option but will leave all other snapping options as they where.

• No avatar
  • Vertex
October 08, 2013, 08:33:41 pm
Thanks guys. Easy when you know how. Yes I have a 5 button mouse and can now toggle snapping on and off with it.

Ah, right mouse button on the snap icons. Cool, that works as well.

Cheers
Nigel
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 08:38:28 pm by 3DKiwi »

• Edge
October 13, 2013, 11:57:36 pm
rubberduck: I'm not using setpoint, just the generic mouse-drivers.