News:

Topic: Single vertex creation on an edge  (Read 5318 times)

• No avatar
  • Vertex
July 22, 2013, 10:53:49 pm
Hey, in Maya when I use the interactive split tool on an edge, and choose not to cut the face and just exit the tool on the edge I'm able to create a vertex on the edge.  In Nvil is there a way to do the same?  If there isn't is there a way to delete edges without deleting the vert on the mesh border while deleting the vert in the middle of the face?

• Administrator
  • Polygon
July 23, 2013, 12:29:21 am
just select a edge, and tap the key for the streamline cut tool, and when you go to vertex mode you should see a vertex in the center of said edge.

after that you can use the slide tool to position it on the edge where you want.

• No avatar
  • Vertex
July 23, 2013, 02:08:47 am
Thanks Passerby!  Way faster than all the methods in maya to get the same result.

• Administrator
  • Polygon
July 23, 2013, 02:24:49 am
Thanks Passerby!  Way faster than all the methods in maya to get the same result.

actually in maya it is just one operation as well, select edge and add division, it's there in the default, shift+rmb marking menu

• Triangle
July 23, 2013, 12:42:43 pm
is there a way to delete edges without deleting the vert on the mesh border while deleting the vert in the middle of the face?

I hope I understand you right, and if I do, yes there is a way in NVil.
Select the edge you want to delete and go to Geometry->Common Commands n Tools->Delete(Options) or use the tool search. You'll be given a dialog with checkboxes of what you would want to remove.
If you disable "Remove Closed 2-Egde Vertices", then vertices 'in the middle of the face' will be deleted while vertices that form an intersection will not. If you only want to keep the vertices on the mesh border (open edges), then uncheck "Remove Border 2-Edge Vertices" and keep the other options checked.
I made an image to illustrate the results:

• No avatar
  • Vertex
July 23, 2013, 01:09:08 pm
Yeah, I pretty much just select all tools that way, so many ways to do it in Maya, but all take a few to many clicks.  Just meant selecting the edge and pushing the cut tool in Nvil is way nicer than dealing with the radial menus; the radials menus give me some lag at times and don't always recognize my gestures.  And yeah I know you can hotkey that in Maya, but streamline tools, least to me, make hotkeys more valuable per key basis.

Thanks Vaquero, Passerby hit the nail on the head though.  That way of pushing control delete to change the delete options every time I want to switch deletion methods is to much of a hassle, and I like edge delete always on, and go about deleting smaller components other ways.

• Administrator
  • Polygon
July 23, 2013, 02:01:50 pm
really, marking menus work great for me, and i even scripted a few context sensitive streamline like tools in python for maya

• No avatar
  • Vertex
July 23, 2013, 02:17:12 pm
I guess I really have to learn some coding then.  Some commands in the marking menus like while in object mode, shift + RMB swipe up and then down quickly for the merge vertex tool is flawless, I get the tool every time.  But the same command like while in vertex mode getting the same tool with the same motion sometimes doesn't pick it up, or I have to do it again.  Getting the attribute editor also is a pain because I have to old the gestures most of the time.