News:

Topic: Tweak single component?  (Read 3302 times)

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • White-creatures
July 20, 2013, 10:25:37 am

Hi,

I am using the strealine tweak tool, I noticed that it operates on multi-component. When I have an object that is rather small on screen, doing tweak it tweak the points, when I really want to tweak the faces. Any ideas how to solve this?

Thanks.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
July 20, 2013, 11:09:53 am
Hi miica,

If you want to tweak polygons, have you looked at the "Polygon_localMove" tools? (Select the polygons, press"H")

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • White-creatures
July 20, 2013, 11:37:45 am
Thanks steve, I took a look, and finds that it has 3 types, the local move in cursor direction type is closer to what I want because the other two doesn't works with soft selection. But the local move in cursor direction didn't just move the faces, it also applies rotation. The rotation is good, but most of the time I just want them to move in the drag direction, without any rotation.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
July 20, 2013, 12:05:01 pm
OK, try:- Select the polygons, then press "W"(Move), that gives some options and works with soft selection.
Or,
Have a look at streamline tool:- Slide selection.

I have been having a look at "Polygon_localMove"-> "cursor direction". The rotation looks like a bug to me. I do not see why the polygon normal should be rotating to cursor direction. But then again, some tools in NVIL do confuse me LOL.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 12:20:29 pm by steve »

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • White-creatures
July 20, 2013, 02:30:59 pm

The 'W'(Move) is the same as tweak I believe.

I am sorry I think have made a confusion, soft selection is also what I want but before that, I want my selection to be more precise.

Let's say I hover my mouse cursor into an area of polygons. In tweak mode, preseletion highlight will show me what is going to be selected when I click. On big polygon face, I can easily select it. But on small polygon face, it often only let me choose edges or just vertices.

"I just want to select THAT polygon, not that vertex, not that edge, why can't you let me select that polygon?".. is what I think. Mean while I will make do with the other tools, like the move tool :)

About the "Polygon_localMove"-> "cursor direction"... yeah, I think the rotation is a bit unpredictable, making it hard to use.

• Administrator
  • Polygon
July 20, 2013, 02:35:07 pm
think you have the selection radius too high, it determns how close the mouse has to be to a component to select it. its in the options panel think it default to 16px IIRC.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
July 20, 2013, 05:58:56 pm
Let's say I hover my mouse cursor into an area of polygons. In tweak mode, preseletion highlight will show me what is going to be selected when I click. On big polygon face, I can easily select it. But on small polygon face, it often only let me choose edges or just vertices.

There is an option to disable the multi-selection for Tweak.  Edit-> Options-> "Tweak multi-selection", disable that, then you can go into polygon selection mode and only select polygons when using "Tweak".

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • White-creatures
July 21, 2013, 12:26:55 am
Wow, thanks guys!

The selection radius kinda works, mine is 8px, I set it to 2px to test, seems to make face selection much easier.

I am struck by how stupid I am that I didn't use the Tool search, I am speechless... the "Tweak multi-selection" is been there all along! ... Nice!