News:

Topic: [RESOLVED] Manipulator stepping - key customisation?  (Read 3427 times)

• No avatar
  • Polygon
June 10, 2013, 07:17:38 pm
Hello.
How do I disable CTRL key modifier for manipulator stepping? SHIFT is ok, but CTRL is the key I use for tweaking components which is difficult to do when stepping kicks in. And if I turn off the "Enabled by CTRL or Shift key down" setting then I end up with stepped mode as default.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 10:51:09 pm by rubberDuck »

• Edge
June 10, 2013, 08:22:05 pm
I would like to customize this as well, it seems wasteful to have a duplicated function take up such prime real estate on the keyboard! Right now I'm thinking I'd like to set ctrl+shift to step to a finer value, and to have shift on its own temporarily toggle on snapping.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
June 11, 2013, 10:18:16 pm
Right now I'm thinking I'd like to set ctrl+shift to step to a finer value,
From my own point of view, I would prefer to see some constraint made based on stepping distance. So for example. If stepping is set to 1, then moving the mouse a specific distance is needed to make that step distance, if the stepping is set to, 0.01, then the same mouse movement distance is needed as before to move that smaller distance (Wing3D is (IMHO)a good example of how constraints are implemented). As it is now, if I have a small step distance(such as 0.001), it is not possible to step that distance(even if I slow my mouse down to nearly a complete standstill). It is a complete PITA.

....and to have shift on its own temporarily toggle on snapping.
I already have it set that way (not much choice), as enabling snapping disables stepping. That change (snapping enable disables stepping) was made a while ago, yet another complete PITA.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
June 13, 2013, 12:43:53 am
Well, I just found that my adding the snapping toggle to the shift key does not work for all functions. For example, with the align function, when snapping toggle enabled, the snapping does not function. So I have to manually enable snapping for that. I am not sure if that is a conflict with the shift key (or control key which I also tried) being used for toggle, or if just a problem with align.

There is a conflict. I moved the hot-key and now OK.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 09:08:13 am by steve »

• No avatar
  • Polygon
June 13, 2013, 10:51:43 pm
Thanks for the customisable key, IStonia. :)