News:

Topic: Spline Slide problem - can't get it to auto-align properly  (Read 2402 times)

• Edge
May 27, 2013, 08:58:07 pm
hey guys,

I'm trying the Spline Slide tool for the first time, and I'm having a hard time getting it to align properly. I've put the file on dropbox here, if anyone would care to take a look:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17715/subdtest5.vws

When I turn auto-align off it properly follows the spline, but with it turned on it deviates from it and I can't for the life of me figure out why. I've tried making every point hard, naturalising the spline, deleting points to simplify it...
Nothing's done the trick so far.

• Triangle
May 27, 2013, 11:56:14 pm
The simple answer to your question is this: the pivot position of your shape-spline is far off.
Somehow the auto orient algorithm takes into account the relative position of the spline's pivot.

I found having the most predictable results when:
1. the starting CVs of the 2 splines coincide
2. the pivot position of the shape spline is at its starting CV

After setting up the spline slide tool, you can hit the E-Button to be able to still adjust the splines, so you get the result you are looking for. After you're done, you can execute "Finalize Spline Modifier".

• Edge
May 28, 2013, 05:26:27 am
Man that's fiddly! It's fantastic that it's non-destructive in a way, though. Hopefully Kun extends the non-destructive tools, as they're basically the only thing I miss from bigger packages. It's great to see here that they're at least technically possible.