News:

Topic: Create/insert tool  (Read 3627 times)

• No avatar
  • Vertex
April 06, 2013, 12:32:17 pm
I am using the create polygon tool to create new polygons by clicking on 3 existing points and placing the 4th point in space(in custom view), but the 4th point is being placed way off in space or way back towards the camera. Is there anyway to get the 4th point placed roughly in the same plane as the other 3 points? When I used the create polygon tool in Silo it did a pretty good job of placing the 4th point in the same plane as the existing 3.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
April 06, 2013, 12:54:20 pm
Hi Chrisl,

Please check what snapping you have enabled. It sounds like you may be snapping to grid on the 4th point.

• No avatar
  • Vertex
April 07, 2013, 10:47:27 am
Hi Steve,

I have snapping disabled but I have also tried a few snapping options but it didn't make any difference

• No avatar
  • Polygon
April 07, 2013, 11:19:30 am
Hi Chrisl,

It appears to be working correctly here.

Do you get similar or better results if using "Create Polygon"? (In polygon selection mode, Press "D")

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
April 07, 2013, 11:28:08 am
chrisl, maybe your viewport camera's focus point is the problem. Select the three vertices then do View > Viewport Framing > Best Fit. See if that helps.

• No avatar
  • Vertex
April 07, 2013, 11:40:00 am
Thanks IStonia that fixed it!

• No avatar
  • Polygon
April 07, 2013, 11:46:40 am
......maybe your viewport camera's focus point is the problem.

I had not noticed that.
I am in habit of automatically setting focus on current working area.

• No avatar
  • Vertex
April 07, 2013, 11:50:41 am
and thanks Steve I didn't know that tool existed. I'll make good use of it now.

• No avatar
  • Vertex
April 07, 2013, 11:55:04 am
hi Steve

How do you automatically set the focus on your current working area?

• No avatar
  • Polygon
April 07, 2013, 12:14:07 pm
Hi Chrisl,

NVIL will not automatically set the focus (I think that could cause issue). I have got into the habit of setting the focus myself, but it is now something I automatically do.

If you look in "Edit-> Customize-> Tools" in section "View Navigation Tools", there are 2 commands "Selection Focusing" and "Set View Focusing". Both are already set with a key combination+mouse click. For the "Set View Focusing Point" I removed the keys and set the command to "X1" (mouse button on side of mouse"). I simple click "X1" on object before working on it. It is now habit/automatic for me. You of course could just press "F6" (Best fit) as mentioned by IStonia.