News:

Topic: Low-poly wood barrel  (Read 19711 times)

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 23, 2013, 05:07:31 pm
Hi all.

It is my first 3d-model where i made UV, textures, render. A few years ago i made lighthouse in Cinema4d, but drag&drop a materials in Cinema4d is not considered  ;)

I used a following programs:

NVil  - for modelling and fixing UV + adding edges after texturing.
Unfold3d - for unwraping.
Gimp 2.8.4 -for texturing. A few years ago i tried Gimp but it seemed terrible and non-comfortable. I spent a few hours to understand this editor is better   . I using only diffuse map - 1024x1024.
Marmoset Toolbag - for rendering.

unfortunately, I did not do a good metal without specular. I've spent on these metal strips about 3 hours, but...

A comments and questions are welcome  ;D

Screenshots (click for zoom):

NVil:

----
Render in Marmoset Toolbag:

-----
Render in Marmoset Toolbag (HDR):

« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 06:33:46 pm by molebox »
Sorry for my bad english. Do not hesitate to ask if you do not understand me :-)

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 23, 2013, 05:14:33 pm
Nice low poly, I would a use the "H+lmb" to smooth it out a bit.
I just learned about the "H+lmb" an hour ago.
 I tried the marmoset toolbag , but I do not have enough memory to run it. (4gb)

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 23, 2013, 05:32:40 pm
Nice low poly,
Thanks!

I would a use the "H+lmb" to smooth it out a bit.
H+lmb = Ring Edges on default. But it is model used Smooth Group. Just very low poly - cylinder with 8 slices.

I tried the marmoset toolbag , but I do not have enough memory to run it. (4gb)
I have 2.5 gb RAM, Geforce 8600GT, Athlon 3000 - this is a very old computer :). Probably, your model has many of the polygons. How many a polygons in scene?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 05:34:41 pm by molebox »
Sorry for my bad english. Do not hesitate to ask if you do not understand me :-)

• Administrator
  • Polygon
March 23, 2013, 06:04:50 pm
texuture could use a little work, looks like a straight up photo reference, with no local details. also are you going to do a specualr, gloss and normal maps for it?

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 23, 2013, 06:21:50 pm
I am using the 8400gs, I might try the toolbag again and see what happens.

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 23, 2013, 06:24:16 pm
texuture could use a little work, looks like a straight up photo reference, with no local details.
Sorry, i dont understand :( Is it bad or good? =) You mean that i need a little to add a details?

also are you going to do a specualr, gloss and normal maps for it?

I will plan middle-poly whith chamfer etc. I will be to learn how to do gloss map. Unfortunately, I did not do a good metal without specular. I've spent on these metal strips about 3 hours, but...
For normal map i need hi-poly --> 1000 faces. I'll see.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 06:35:36 pm by molebox »

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 23, 2013, 06:30:40 pm
johnnybevo,
I read message into your thread about H+LMB. I need was to switch on vertex mode. It is cool, thanks!

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 23, 2013, 06:37:29 pm
johnnybevo,
I read message into your thread about H+LMB. I need was to switch on vertex mode. It is cool, thanks!

You are very welcome.

I am downloading the toolbag right now.
I also took a look at the gallery on their website, that was impressive.

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 23, 2013, 06:58:29 pm
I go to sleep. Tomorrow I will reply to comments or questions.

johnnybevo, i'm a little studied the Marmoset.  If you will have a questions about Marmoset - you are welcome. If I know, then i will help  :)

• Administrator
  • Polygon
March 24, 2013, 02:51:28 am
by local details, i mean there is no edge wear and scrapes, or any occlusion or rust and dirt build up in the crevices such as around the metal straps that hold it together etc. Also need to material definition going on.

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 24, 2013, 10:47:38 am
Passerby, the barrel in the "clear room" for repairing HDD

To all:
I tried to add a little light on an edges. Which a variant you like? Or the original better?
click for zooming:

« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 10:49:35 am by molebox »

• Triangle
March 24, 2013, 10:03:52 pm
In my opinion, the texture resolution is way too high for such a lowpoly model. There's also some distortion going on, presumably from making each loop a straight line in UV space. Can you post a screenshot of the UVs? The look of the barrel could profit, if you'd make each of the 8 sides a single board in the texture, so that the planks meet at the edges. With low poly meshes like this, I wouldn't aim for a photo realistic texture, but rather use some comic style.

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 25, 2013, 06:56:27 am
In my opinion, the texture resolution is way too high for such a lowpoly model.
Yes, probably..

There's also some distortion going on, presumably from making each loop a straight line in UV space. Can you post a screenshot of the UVs? The look of the barrel could profit, if you'd make each of the 8 sides a single board in the texture, so that the planks meet at the edges. With low poly meshes like this,
Yes, i see it too  :(  The barrel is angular and i  straighten uv, and so here is distortion(up and down of the barrel). How to work with angular UV into GIMP? Scale, Perspective?

I wouldn't aim for a photo realistic texture, but rather use some comic style.
I can't to draw :( If only to use any a artistic filter.
Thanks, Vaquero for  criticism!

• No avatar
  • Polygon
March 25, 2013, 09:30:07 am
Hi molebox,

It is my first 3d-model where i made UV, textures, render.
Looking very good.

I tried to add a little light on an edges.
I think those do look better. Makes the metal stand out more.

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 25, 2013, 09:40:26 am
Hi molebox,
Looking very good.
Hi steve. Thanks for comment.

I think those do look better. Makes the metal stand out more.
Which of the two? Dark or Light?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 10:11:44 am by molebox »