News:

Topic: How to work with UV Map?  (Read 4314 times)

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 17, 2013, 11:29:32 am
I selected seams, disabled "edit seams" that to select a polygon and "grow" it. My seams hided and was selected a polygons to automatic(?) seams. How to work with UV Map?
https://www.box.com/s/270fj28f7dp4l3m9txcr
(run the html file)
Sorry for my bad english. Do not hesitate to ask if you do not understand me :-)

• No avatar
  • Polygon
March 18, 2013, 05:53:17 am
Hi molebox,

Looks like you may be having problems due to Smooth Groups (hard_edges).

Replace the smooth Groups, and try projection mapping.

Here is a quick vid to try and show. (It also shows an issue (overlapping UVs) with Cylinder mapping)

http://www.mediafire.com/?d2j2sc72pwh59b9

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 18, 2013, 02:52:29 pm
Hi steve,

I forget to say, that a specially added chamfer to edges and specially use "simple unfold". Do not always get to use the same "Cylinder Map"..

You try to use "simple unfold" when you have free time.
https://www.box.com/s/642lub8ddnr0sldnqdax

p.s. thanks steve for video, I learned a little new.

p.p.s. Scale and Rotate tools work with the Island only with help hotkeys - otherwise it is is work as Move tool.  Sometimes disappears selection. Have you same problem?

p.p.p.s. steve, the number of messages you have - 666  8)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 02:56:56 pm by molebox »
Sorry for my bad english. Do not hesitate to ask if you do not understand me :-)

• No avatar
  • Polygon
March 18, 2013, 07:15:48 pm
You try to use "simple unfold" when you have free time.
https://www.box.com/s/642lub8ddnr0sldnqdax
I will have a look.
thanks steve for video, I learned a little new.
You are welcome
Scale and Rotate tools work with the Island only with help hotkeys - otherwise it is is work as Move tool.
Yes, it looks like a bug.
  Sometimes disappears selection. Have you same problem?
No. When does it happen ?

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 18, 2013, 07:53:31 pm
No. When does it happen ?

When i use hotkeys for Island (rotate,scale), a selected island sometimes deselected.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
March 18, 2013, 10:51:15 pm
I have not been using hotkeys for UV mapping, so not seen that.

I have looked more at the UV mapping. It does appear to be quite broken. The "Simple Unfold" does not work correctly even on 2 polygons. The box mapping only maps 4 sides. The list goes on.

IStonia did put forward it was an area he needs to work one. Maybe for version 2?

As it is, you can get some basic mapping done. But if you do a lot of UV mapping, then you would be better to get a 3rd party UV mapper for now.

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 18, 2013, 11:40:29 pm
I have looked more at the UV mapping. It does appear to be quite broken. The "Simple Unfold" does not work correctly even on 2 polygons. The box mapping only maps 4 sides. The list goes on.
Ok,thanks.

As it is, you can get some basic mapping done. But if you do a lot of UV mapping, then you would be better to get a 3rd party UV mapper for now.
Ok, i will be to use Unfold 3d or 3dcoat. In unfold 3d demo is possible to save the UVmap ;)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 11:53:16 pm by molebox »

• Administrator
  • Polygon
March 19, 2013, 01:14:32 am
or just use blender, as much ad I like to bitch about blender it really does it some nice uv tools, and it is very quick to bring things in and out of most 3d packages with the clipboard feature in Nvil.

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 19, 2013, 02:01:48 am
Passerby, i hate windows in blender. split window is easy, but to join windows a big problem for me - rapidly kills nerve cells =)