News:

Topic: Several general questions  (Read 22776 times)

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
March 24, 2013, 07:52:19 pm
What do you mean by "One-view mode"?

• No avatar
  • Polygon
March 24, 2013, 08:00:44 pm
View->Viewport layout->One view.
But it happens in other layouts as well, as long as you switch views in one viewport only.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
March 24, 2013, 08:20:16 pm
Were you always in 'one-view' mode when that happened?

When in one-view mode. you are always dealing with the same viewport and I think that's why. Each viewport only has one camera setting.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
March 24, 2013, 08:41:32 pm
Were you always in 'one-view' mode when that happened?
Yes, most of the time I use single view-port while modelling. I change views with numerical keys.
When in one-view mode. you are always dealing with the same view-port and I think that's why. Each view-port only has one camera setting.
Hmm, that's what I suspected. I'm accustomed to working with each view having a separate camera, but I think I can live with this. It gets a little bit annoying sometimes though, having to re-zoom or pan the camera back to the area of interest after changing the view from top to left for example. :P

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
April 01, 2013, 08:07:42 am
13. Done.
14. Done. Edit > Preference > Options > Custom/Front/Back/... View has own camera settings. You can use one of these two tools to switch between orthographic and perspective views, Edit > Customize > Tools > View Navigation Tools > 'Snap View (Orthographic)'/'Snap View On Rotation (Orthographic)'.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
April 20, 2013, 04:18:36 pm
Hello.
Let's say there's a vertex I want to snap on Y axis to a point (not vertex) on an edge, just below it. Is it possible to do it precisely or do I have to eyeball it, because it constantly follows the snapped cursor Y position on the edge (the right part of the image)?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 04:23:00 pm by rubberDuck »

• No avatar
  • Polygon
April 20, 2013, 05:16:11 pm
Hi rubberDuck,

I cannot see clearly what geometry you have there. Do you have a polygon edge you are trying to move the vertex down to? If yes, then you can add "Object Guide Lines" to the 2 edges(the edge you are moving the vertex down, and the edge you are moving the vertex to), and use "Vertex" snap, to snap to the intersection of the edges(Guide Lines)

• No avatar
  • Polygon
April 20, 2013, 05:36:54 pm
Perfect. Guidelines did the trick. Thank you again Steve. :)

• No avatar
  • Polygon
June 17, 2013, 06:07:13 am
Hello.
I have two short questions
1. Is there a way of selecting multiple objects in the Scene Explorer other than clicking on each one of them at a time?
2. Is there any way of moving multiple objects to an existing group in the Scene Explorer?

I think I tried everything.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
August 02, 2013, 06:58:30 pm
You can adjust the symmtry plane. In object mode, open the 'Pivot' tool, make sure 'Mesh pivots as well' option is on. Then use the move manipulator to move the object pivot, you will see the symmetry plane be moved as well.
The symmetry was working without problems for a long time, but today I encountered something weird. Despite the fact that object's pivot (as well as its meshes') is where I want the symmetry to be and it's oriented correctly, the symmetry plane moves to a place way above the pivot and orients itself at an odd angle.
I tried resetting object's base axis and setting the pivot again and again, but it doesn't help.

Also, most of the time I cannot turn on the symmetry plane visibility, from whatever reason. It just doesn't show up.

A funny thing: when I enter the pivot tool and click several times on "Align to Bounding Box Center" ("Mesh pivots as well" is turned on), the symmetry plane moves closer and closer to the pivot after each mouse click, but never really orients itself properly.

Maybe I've messed up some settings?

• No avatar
  • Polygon
August 02, 2013, 07:22:34 pm
Okay, I exported the problematic mesh to obj just to reimport it again. This seems to loose the corruption or whatever it was that caused the error.
Problem solved, however now I remember that it isn't the first time I encounter this issue.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
September 06, 2013, 06:26:39 pm
Hello.
I have to bring up an old problem I once had about clipping that occurs in orthographic views.
The video below demonstrates the problem, as well as shows Silo as an example of no clipping in the ortho view.

I tried "Best Fit", "Set View Focusing Point", "Selection Focusing", "Camera Focus Point (SEL)" and even setting the near clipping plane to 0.001 and far clipping plane to 10.

Nothing helps.

http://youtu.be/qs80YobNPlc

• No avatar
  • Polygon
September 06, 2013, 06:57:40 pm
Hi rubberDuck,

With "Selection Focusing", that will set focus point to selection center, so in ortho view that may not help while in obj selection mode.
With "Set View Focusing Point", that needs the cursor on-screen for an interception point to be ray-cast, so calling that function from tool-search will not function correctly.
The "Camera Focus Point" you mention, that is actually a function for view rotation.(View rotation pivot style option).

For what you need, please try either:-

If using "Selection Focusing" in ortho view, select the polygon closest to camera, then use "Selection focusing"
If using "Set View Focusing point", set an hotkey for the function, then move mouse cursor over focusing point on screen, then press hotkey for "Set View Focusing point"

• No avatar
  • Polygon
September 06, 2013, 07:35:01 pm
Steve, thank you! Thank you very much! It was driving me nuts. ;D
I mapped a key shortcut to "Set View Focusing Point", selected some components in the area of interest and invoked the mapped command. It worked! Ha ha!

• No avatar
  • Polygon
September 06, 2013, 07:45:34 pm
Hmm... I celebrated to early.
The problem is back. Now even stranger than before.
If I switch to ortho view, the more I zoom in, the less vertices in the back I can select. It feels almost like zooming in decreases the far clip plane somehow. So, when zoomed out I can select the whole line of vertices, but when I zoom in I can only selected those that are closest to the camera. What the hell? :o